|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> offloading camper on slanted driveway

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
fishguy_40

long beach, ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/09 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have experience offloading your camper on a slanted (front to back) driveway?

My jacks are approximately 8.5 feet apart and my driveway slants 8 inches in that distance. Is this too much?

Please let me know if you have experienced this scenario and what you did about it if anything?

I am mostly worried about the camper sliding and getting a pad under my jacks so they hit level.

1998 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 camper special
firestone ride rites
1995 lance squire lite 150

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/09 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. I used to store my camper on land that was sloped in both directions front/back and side/side as well as not smooth ground under the camper either. I used 12" 4x12 and 2x12 wood blocks under the jacks and put more blocks under the lower points than the higher points so all jacks had enough length to lift the camper up off the truck and the jack feet were somewhat level with eachother on top of the blocks.

I lifted the camper even with the truck bed (not level) for the first bit untill the camper was barely free of the truck (not resting it's weight on truck). Then I started leveling the camper by lifting the low points more than the high points untill camper was relatively level. Once camper was high enough off truck bed that the truck could pull out without the truck bed hitting bottom of camper as it rolled over the uneven ground beneath the camper, I slowly pulled the truck out. The sides of the truck bed rubbed the rear part of the lower side walls of the camper a bit cause the camper was not even with the truck and my camper was a very tight fit at the tailgate opening, but I just went slow and watched that the camper wasn't being dragged forward and all was well.

Once truck was out, I set screw-up trailer leveling jack stands under the camper, sitting on 12" 2x12's so they wouldn't sink into the ground, and put a 4x6 wood beam accross each pair of jack stands at front and rear of camper floor. Front beam was 4' long and rear beam was 5' long. I set a level on top of the beams and adjusted the leveling jack stands untill the beams were basicly level side to side and eyeballed their heights for level front and rear.

Then I slowly lowered the camper down, maintaining a basicly level attitude, untill the floor very lightly rested on the beams. I checked the level of the camper front/rear and adjusted the jack stands as needed, then lowered the camper fully down onto the beams. I kept slight tension on the camper jacks to stabilize it.

That is how I stored the camper on sloped ground in both directions that was also uneven surface. Worked very good for me and never a problem with loading/unloading the camper.

Caution, use wood blocks, not open cinder blocks. Open cinder blocks can crack and fail without notice and cause a disaster. If you must use cinder blocks, fill the holes with concrete first.

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/09 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a gravel driveway... I hogged out soil under the truck's tires to help level out the camper in relation to the truck. It helped a lot.

mkrofcheck

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/09 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same issue, I made blocks for the front jack that matched the slope of my driveway. After that I never had an issue.

2009 F-350 Lariat Diesel DRW
2009 Lance 1181

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/09 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've loaded/unloaded on unlevel sites a few times. It is difficult and puts a lot of stress on the jacks when you rotate the camper on the jacks because the front to back distance between the jack feet should also change, but it can't because the jack feet are in contact with the ground. I never found a good solution.

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/09 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My jack feet did 'walk' a bit on top of the blocks. That is why I went with 12x12 squares instead of using 2x6's or 4x6's in one stack. No jack feet ever fell off the 12x12 squares, though some did come close to the edge.

dmax lover

Portland,Oregon, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/09 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a relatively long and sloped driveway - broken up from years of trees heaving the concrete, etc. The first time I unloaded and loaded again - it was a white knuckle experience.

I pretty much use the same technique as socaldesertrider and it works okay for me too, but I don't bother doing too much fine adjustment... I just "get the camper on" and then pull down the street to a friend's driveway that is perfectly flat to get it perfectly centered, etc.

This time, I unloaded using 2 X 6s on the front jacks so that they don't get overextended (my truck is very tall...)

I am going to probably put a new driveway in next year - I will make it ramp in the first few feet and be more level overall so that I don't have to deal with the slope when loading/unloading any more.

jeff

* This post was edited 07/15/09 04:49pm by dmax lover *

2005 Chevrolet Duramax 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed (KYB Monomax Shocks, Michelins,Hellwig Rear Swaybar)
2006 Northern Lite 9.6 Classic (Torklifts & fastguns)
Northern Lite Owners Club

fishguy_40

long beach, ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/09 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I'm glad to hear that it has been done. The walking part is what worries me most. My current plan is to make 4 pads with the same slope as the driveway to level out the surface the jacks come down on. Then I will use the jacks themselves to level the camper on the driveway (front slightly higher of course).

Thanks a lot guys!! I appreciate the quick feedback and the details.

Vintagebronco75

Hillsboro, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/09 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I unloaded mine for the first time last week and have a similar driveway as yours.

I backed up into position and then drilled 2 holes into the concrete and put in anchors, just in front of the rear bumper so that I can use my tie downs.

I unclamped the front tie downs, then unclamped one rear side and used that clamp with some chain links to go down to the anchors, I then did the other rear side the same.

I then put all jacks down to the concrete. I started with the front jacks and lifted about 1 inch then went to the back jacks and lifted about 1 inch. When I did the rear I would constantly keep an eye on the tie downs for tension. I wanted just a small amount of slack just in case the camper started tipping forward it would catch it. once I had the camper high enough above the bed I drove the truck out slowly. I had to raise the front of the camper twice as it would have touched close to the rear of the bed.

Once the truck was out I slowly lowered the rear first to get it closer to level, and then lowered all the same until it was low to the ground and level. I then connected the chain link to the camper so that it would not walk forward.

I did not see any stress on the jacks but i did have a couple of feet move slightly. I wonder if wood would allow the jack feet to adjust a little better than concrete.

2004 F350, CC, 6.0PSD, SRW, 4x4, Air Bags, X-code front springs, Class V Hitch, Michelin XDS2 245/70R19.5
2009 Lance 915

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/09 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've only unloaded on concrete a couple of times and it was fairly level, except once. The wood does work good.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> offloading camper on slanted driveway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS