RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Inverter PSW system installation... Sleepy

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Inverter PSW system installation... Sleepy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/10 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To add an inverter system

I read and followed every thread that I saw on the truck camper forum... gathering (or dismissing ) ideas. I ended up utilizing "3 tons" information for 90% of my build.

This required the use on a pure sine wave inverter, an automatic transfer switch, and a 120VAC subpanel.

--------------------------

I would be connecting to a pair of Optima batteries. According to the Optima literature we should never allow the Optima batteries drop below 10.5 VDC.

Most inverters that I looked at warned the user when the battery voltage dropped to 10.5 VDC... and shut off the inverter when the battery reached 10 VDC... a bad situation for Optima batteries.

The product that I chose is a Xantrix Prowatt SW inverter... it warns when the batteries are at 11 VDC and shuts down at 10.5 VDC.

--------------------------

To avoid voltage drops, the wiring from the batteries to the inverter had to be very large... and within 6 feet of the batteries.

This wiring had to have an inline fuse. The inverter literature called for a 150 Amp fuse.

Bigfootford went over my system... he pointed out that my Trimetric meter's shunt would melt before the 150 Amp fuse would blow (fail).

After some thought (and his blessing) I reduced the fuse to 80 Amps. This would allow the fuse to protect the Trimetrics shunt.

-------------------------

I installed a common ground that connected everything, the batteries, the inverter, the transfer switch, the subpanel, and the main panel, The 12VDC and the 120VAC have a common ground.

This is the method used by boats... and I see us as having much in common with boats. We spend most of our time off the shore power.

I used the existing ground fault recepticle to protect all recepticles.

-------------------------

First things first... where can I install within 6 feet of the batteries?

Behind the stove.... hard to get to for operation.

[image]

Storage cabinate... waste of space.

[image]

Under drawers

[image]

Behind the left door under the sink... everything... batteries, solar controller, Trimetric shunt, and our accumulator are already there.

[image]

I could fit in the subpanel, the automatic Transfer switch, with it's plug to the inverter

[image]

this picture shows wiring from the batteries, and from the main power distribution panel in the camper... and the anchors for attaching the inverter.

[image]

All components in place with the vent that I added

[image]

Inverter system and 12VDC Optima battery storage...and the trimetric shunt

[image]

The next picture is the step-up water tank storage area and the PD 9145 and main distribution panel.

[image]

I installed the inverters remote between the fridge and the cabovers bulkhead. (we can reach from bed... but so far leave it on all of the time.)

[image]

I added insulation under the stove area...

[image]

Looking down from the top yoy van see the new wirubg running along the front inside the oven space. (The large white line is water to the accumulator.

[image]

Finished????

[image]

A nice compact inverter system.

[image]

This vent has a compnion on the oposite side of the tank... the inverter fan keeps the air moving.

[image]

Now our solar panels are keeping the batteris full... the inverter is providing pure sine wave 120 VAC electricity for our use all of the time.

I hope this helps some of you.

I am Sleepy (especially after staying up and putting this together.

Our 862 boondovckin night, we're in Holton, Maine

* This post was last edited 07/06/10 10:13pm by sleepy *   View edit history

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/10 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi sleepy,

It looks great, but I have one suggestion.

Instead of an 80 amp fuse, use an 80 amp circuit breaker. It is far easier to put back in service vs a fuse.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/10 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How big of Xantrax did you put in? I am trying to figure out which one to use.

Winnebago Access 24V

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/10 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi sleepy,

Instead of an 80 amp fuse, use an 80 amp circuit breaker. It is far easier to put back in service vs a fuse.

As always you are first with an "IDEA"... the lazy way isn't always better.

there are several reasons tho use a fuse... there is a positive failure saving your expensive equipment. Pure sine wave inverters like good audio equipment don't need induced electrical interference from circuit breakers.

If you have a modified sine wave inverter it probably makes no difference... and they are cheap enough to through away.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/10 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travisc wrote:

Each individual has to collect data on their personal usage... then determine the size of the inverter... it will be different for everyone.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/10 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi travisc,

Pick the highest wattage item you wish to run and multiply by 125%. If it is an air conditioner, or other compressor type of load, then the absolute minimum multiplier is 250%.

travisc wrote:

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/10 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice install. Thanks for the great pictures.

I avoided the subpanel by putting two transfer switches in the IOTA box as I could not find a place with easy access to reset the breakers if needed. I am not sure I would push even Optima to 11.0 volts too often.

I thought the Trimetric had a 500 amp shunt... maybe that is optional.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/10 11:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi sleepy,

Why do you always resort to name calling?

You do not wish to use a proper sized shunt to deal with 150 amps. I guess you know better than Xantrex what size fuse is recommended. I guess too, that all those high end home audio systems just "scream" from the breakers in everyone's homes.

Pure sine wave 1000 watt inverters now sell in Canada for under $500.00. They may be even cheaper in USA. The reason for fusing the circuit is not to protect the inverter. It is to prevent a fire from burning up the RV (and perhaps you with it) in the event of a catastrophic failure.

Go ahead with the inadequate 80 amp fuse--but make sure there are several spares. DAMHIK.

I did use a circuit breaker in my previous RV. In my current unit I use fuses that exceed the surge value of the inverter, but are smaller than the amp rating for the wire.

sleepy wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Hi sleepy,

As always you are first with an "IDEA"... the lazy way isn't always better.

there are several reasons tho use a fuse... there is a positive failure saving your expensive equipment. Pure sine wave inverters like good audio equipment don't need induced electrical interference from circuit breakers.

If you have a modified sine wave inverter it probably makes no difference... and they are cheap enough to through away.

trails2004

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/10 01:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Sleepy

Nice work!!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/10 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travisc wrote:

Second picture shows Sleepy put in 1000w.
I use a 300w GoPower sine wave for the tv and small items.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Inverter PSW system installation... Sleepy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS