|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> On the Way Home,part1

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/11 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On The Way Home
Stops at Different Utah’s Parks
Arches and Goblin SP

Sept. 09, 2010

The last few days with Jeff Reynolds aka jefe4x4, had been beyond my expectations. Jeff was off to the San Juan Mountains in Colorado to join up with a couple of other well-known XTC daredevils and us, after a night’s rest, it was to dive into Arches National Park to see what we had missed the first time around.
[image]
The morning was bright and almost cloudless as we enter Arches NP; many vehicles were coming in and could be crowded today.
[image]

Driving our way to the interior area our first stop was Park Avenue, a nice view of tall narrow building like mountains from the trailhead, we didn’t venture out there.
[image]
[image]

It was getting rather crowded and three more busloads of tourist from off shore lands were disgorging from the inners of these cattle boats.

We drove off heading towards the “Windows” area which would take us by Balancing Rock, a well worth stopping point, but at last there were no open stalls to park our steed in so down the road we went.
[image]
[image]

From a distance one can see Turret Arch in the Windows.
[image]

There are two parking area’s, upper and lower, in a one-way loop. This visit to the Windows would be a drive by for the same problem as Balancing rock, no open stalls for parking.
[image]
[image]

I suggested that we make our way to Devil’s Garden on the far end of Arches and that was a go. Nice thing about being able to change your plans on the wing for we pulled into Delicate Arch far end parking area, not to hike up to it, just a look see.
[image]
[image]

Just driving through Arches one can see many of the roadside wonders that nature has carved during her long life.
[image]
[image]

Skyline Arch wasn’t too far down the road and would be our next stop.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Skyline Arch was an easy walk, I was glad of that fact for my gout had flared up in my knee. Our next view stop would be Devil’s Garden and a quick look at the campground.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Our luck for a parking space wasn’t going our way; just as well we wanted to make it to Goblin State Park and we would leave using Salt Valley Road.
[image]
[image]
[image]

It was an easy enough road with some wash boarding and once at the park boundary it had a sudden change to sandy soil and some mud and pools of water were seen in places.
[image]
[image]

With some wander about and a little backtracking the I-70 was spied in the distance. After a short, speedy romp we ended up in Thomson Spring along the I-70 and stopped for some ice cream at a service station.
[image]

With renewed energy our trusted steed motored us down the road towards Hwy24 with white islands floating in a blue sky, watching us as we speed on by.
[image]

The wind was to our back, moving us along quicker (seemed like it), making the turn to Hwy24 and moving further away from the busy interstate the hiway opened up into a wide valley. As we traveled more south the closer those mountains were becoming and the better that there beauty could be seen.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Visitor center, flag fluttering in the wind, was fast coming up.
[image]

This would be the start of some strange and weird formation to behold.
[image]
[image]

Julie and I spent some time wandering around this place that would find itself very much at home in Wonderland. Even common flowers become special here.
[image]

Unfortunely it was time to leave here and find a boon docking spot, which there are many of them close by.
[image]

Tomorrow we travel to Capital Reef, there’s a 4x4 trail I want to check out.

* This post was last edited 02/09/11 07:41pm by c.traveler2 *   View edit history

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/11 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those places sure look different than in January!

Cal

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/11 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on a successful trip to many outstanding areas. That's why tc's were invented. I see you've added some animated gifs Alex, you sneaky devil.

fatmanobx

Russellville, Ar. Home Base

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/11 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics. that's for sharing...Happy Trails..

2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

clinthia

Flathead County, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/11 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Alex for the pics. The DW, LBD and I will be visiting Arches this April.
Clint

2007.5 Dodge 3500 4X4 Crewcab with 6.7 Cummins
2004 EC950 w/ slideout
2 Costco 6 volts
Yamaha EF1000IS
Kyocera solar panel
GO POWER 300 watt 12 volt PSW inverter
TorkLift tiedowns with Fastguns
Timbrens
Homemade bumpstops
The Schnauzers Madeline & Genevieve

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/11 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whazoo wrote:

Congrats on a successful trip to many outstanding areas. That's why tc's were invented. I see you've added some animated gifs Alex, you sneaky devil.

Found a program that's convert WMV to GIF, no photoshop used.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/11 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cewillis wrote:

Those places sure look different than in January!

We were there last Sept. 2010

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/11 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't been to Arches since 2000, but my father is usually down at the OK Campground just south of Moab most falls.

For a different route out of the park next time, go out at Balancing Rock past Willow Flats. In 2000, we did this in an F350 4x4 Crew Cab long bed and don't remember anything that would stop a light hardside. Once you get out of the NP, there are numerous places you could stop for the night. If you catch me by a campfire, ask me about my super dumb Arches night run!

Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/11 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very cool. Thanks for taking us along. Arches is one of our favorite places and you just reminded us to return.

Bill

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/11 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to go back to Arches and hike back up to get close and personal with Delicate Arch again. It was kind of neat to see it sitting in that large bowl. I haven't been back up in that area since 1998. Definitely need to go. Thanks for posting.

Bob in Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> On the Way Home,part1
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.