|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> On The Way Home- conclusion

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/11 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On The Way Home
Stops at Different Utah’s Parks
Part2
Capitol Reef to Escalante

Sept.10, 2010

A peaceful night lay behind us, haze in the distance making the far mountains as if they were floating instead of being anchored to terra firma.
[image]
Julie was busy making our morning meal while I took some more endless photos, just can’t have enough.
[image]
[image]
I had been eyeing a 4x4 trail out of Capitol Reef and wanted to check it out once we arrived there. Heading back to Hwy24 towards Hanksville, the distance haze had vanished with the warming of the day.
[image]
Arriving in Hanksville we stopped at the unusual place called Hollow Mountain, which is a store craved into a small hill. We had pasted by this place a couple of times but never had stopped to see the insides.
[image]
After buying some ice cream, we headed back towards Capitol Reef, for awhile there was a Fellow Tcer in front of us. It was long before we were coming out of the sandstone surroundings and having trees and the Fremont River run alongside of Hwy24
[image]
[image]
[image]
Not being in that great of a hurry, we were soon left behind by those other TCers. Like many things in life our paths did cross again after entering into Capitol Reef boundaries, for they had pulled over to enjoy a roadside view, we did the same.
[image]

A few photos later Julie and I were once again moving down the road after saying good bye to those good folks from Colorado. The Behinun Cabin was up ahead and we have never stopped to see it, this time we would.
[image]

We never miss a chance to stop and see some petroglyphs
[image]

Our next stop would bring us to the Fruita School House, just in time, for the lady ranger was about to close it up for the day. She was very kind about keeping it open for a bit longer.
[image]

With day light burning we moved on to Capitol Reef visitor center to get some information on that 4x4 road. The ranger at the center told us that he didn’t know the condition of that trail beyond the old ranch and did know that it hasn’t been graded for over 3 years.
[image]
[image]

Julie was game to check this trail out and off we went, driving passing the old blacksmith shop and campgrounds.
[image]
[image]
[image]

I remember from our first time visit at Capitol Reef, the chocolate to ash white layers of the near mountains, many of them reminds me of dessert cakes. Closing in to Eph Tower, the road showed left over signs of once it had become the riverbed.
[image]

Eph Tower parking area is a gateway to off road adventure either out to the old ranch or other places. A fellow TCer was already there enjoying the view.
[image]

Getting to the 4x4 trail would require us to drive from Eph Tower to the old ranch using Pleasant Creek Rd, a well maintain dirt road.
[image]
[image]
With wonderful views as we motored towards the old ranch the miles passed quickly, once there we did some looking around.
[image]
[image]

With daylight burning away we crossed over Pleasant Creek to seek out what laid on the other side of the distance mountain.
[image]

It was long before encountering our first tree to slide under.
[image]

For several miles traveling in the river bed was the only choice, with beautiful plant life to be seen along the way.
[image]
[image]
During our travel through this area, I noticed tail tale sign of old mines by the tailing that were pile on the nearby hillsides.
[image]

Julie and I didn’t know what challenges that would be coming our way as we crept between couples of large rocks.
[image]

I’m guessing that we are in still in Capitol Reef and Dixie National Forest should be just passed the summit. At this point I believe the trail changes its name to South Drawn Road, it would be a loose rocky trail to the summit and close to the edge on some parts of the road.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Moving on towards a large meadow the road split into two directions and wouldn’t you know I picked the wrong way; at least it didn’t take long for me to realize this. There’s something about the trail being blocked by a landslide to let you know there’ no way for you to go.
[image]

From a rocky trail road to a sandy path through shrubs and junipers with the road headed in the direction of some nearby mountain.
[image]
[image]

Another creek crossing was to be done as the road turned into a small valley, a nice little oasis, before having to climb back up to the plateau using a tight sandy road.
[image]
[image]

Soon a directional/mileage comes into view, something I didn’t expect to see out here.
[image]

It would be a slow go with this sandy road peppered with rocks, after a couple of more miles another vehicle coming our way was spotted.
[image]
[image]

I don’t miss a chance to get local information and the guy we stop to talk to said the road become graded a couple of more miles ahead, he told us that he has never seen a truck camper out here much less taking the trail out of Capitol Reef. Till we reached Hwy12 only some local residence were seen, looking at us as we motor on by.
[image]

Once again the landscape was making changes as we could see pine trees coming up and the graded road was soon upon us.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Reaching Hwy12, I was to confirm to indeed we are in the Dixie National Forest-Pleasant Creek Campground. At this point Julie and I discuss where to stay for the night; it was decided on trying for Calf Creek in Escalante area. Driving Hwy12 is an enjoyable pleasure, aspens and pine trees standing tall as we motor on by.
[image]

Reaching Calf Creek only to find that they are full, lucky for us we always have a plan B, off to Spencer Flat Road a few more miles down Hwy12.
[image]
[image]

Once arriving at Spencer Flat Road we located a nice spot overlooking the small canyon that has wonderful flowers.
[image]
[image]
[image]

[image]

Thanks to everyone for following along on our many adventures, all of this trip photos are posted at my Travelingman2 site.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Burlington Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/11 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great photos, thanks.

clinthia

Flathead County, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/11 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again Alex and Julie. The DW, LBD and I visited some of the same places including Capitol Reef and the Fruita campground last April.

Clint

2007.5 Dodge 3500 4X4 Crewcab with 6.7 Cummins
2004 EC950 w/ slideout
2 Costco 6 volts
Yamaha EF1000IS
Kyocera solar panel
GO POWER 300 watt 12 volt PSW inverter
TorkLift tiedowns with Fastguns
Timbrens
Homemade bumpstops
The Schnauzers Madeline & Genevieve

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/11 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing your trip report

sleepy and Janet

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

lenix

nw Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/11 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow great pictures! They sure make Indiana boring.

Gary

Camping Couple

Fulton, Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/11 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enjoyed the pictures. It was as if we were able to take the trip with you.

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/11 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Outstanding, as usual!!! [emoticon]

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 100 (so far) watts solar.

Matho

New Mexico Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/11 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice!

2015 Chevy 3500 SRW 4X4 6.0 CC SB Big Wig 2016 Northstar Laredo SC Off Road

B. BOOMER

lost somewhere in america

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/11 03:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gosh in a few places - I was even hanging on[emoticon]

Have you ever stopped at the old Uranium Mine in Capitol Reef? Seems uranium/radium mining was a rather profitable prospect for awhile - until they figured out it was also quite deadly too!! They used it in an "over-the-counter remedy" for arthritis [emoticon]

We also enjoyed the Ranger talks at the little Fruita Schoolhouse and the ancient Petroglyphs [emoticon] AND we loved the fabulous fruit pies (and ice cream) at the historic Gifford Homestead - right next to the Campground [emoticon][emoticon]

Have you been to the Great Basin National Park & Lehman Caves yet? You'd probably also enjoy the Navajo National Monument. Two interesting off the beaten trail places (at least for awhile anyway).

Cheers,
Boomer[emoticon]

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/11 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exceptionally well illustrated! Many thanks for all your hard work to make this trip report possible for all to enjoy.

Cheers,
Sand & Dunes

*it is in Trip Reports now

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> On The Way Home- conclusion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.