|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> GSMNP Trip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/11 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First I want to express my gratitude to all who posted in an earlier thread offering suggestions for my trip to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park(GSMNP). Based on the suggestions I set Elkmont Campground as my base camp.

But first, I had to make it through the Pigeon Forge tourist trap.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

After a quick stop at Little River Outfitter's for my license, I found an isolated spot in the campground.
[image]

Unfortunately, it really wasn't that isolated... [emoticon]
[image]

I took a little walk to check out the Little River as it passed through the campground and saw MANY places I'd like to cast a fly.
[image]

[image]

Just as I thought I'd try to catch some insects to see what the hatch was, I looked down at my shirt and...
[image]

And on a tree near me...
[image]

Looks like a #14 Quill Gordon. To the Man Cave...
[image]

Time passes...
[image]

Next morning I decided to head up one of the feeder streams of the Little River. Specifically Jakes Creek which joins the Little River at the upper end of the campgrounds. A beautiful little mountain stream.
[image]

[image]

[image]

Just as it was beginning to look like I was going to reek of skunk (fisherman speak for not catching a fish), I cast into yet another small pool.
[image]

and the cutest little rainbow I ever saw hit my #16 bead head pheasant tail. Actually, this is the smallest trout I ever caught, but it got the skunk off me. At least I wasn't fishing for food, [emoticon]
[image]

I worked my way back downstream hitting occasional pools as I spotted them and came on this one-
[image]

which yielded up-
[image]

I worked my way back to the Little River and found a very fishy looking spot.
[image]

[image].

Around 5:00PM a few fish started rising so I replaced the BHPT with one of the freshly tied Quill Gordons and a few casts later landed my fist fish of the day on a dry.
[image]

I managed to hook a couple more on the dry as well as missed several strikes. All in all, a good day fishing. Not great, but considering the stream and my fist time fishing it, good.

Day two was spent fishing the Little River inside the campground since I'd raised a good blister on my big toe hiking in the wading shoes the day before, and caught a few more on a #16 hare's ear. Wednesday night a cold front moved through with associated thunder storms. Fortunately the rain wasn't bad so I did get a little fishing in on Thursday morning before leaving. Nobody I talked to was catching anything Thursday and I was having the same luck. Just as I announced 'last cast', I went to flip my nymph back upstream and in the process hooked a fish that hit it just as I was lifting the rod. I didn't get a good hookset so it was off as fast as it was on, but still made me feel a little better before heading home, and yes. I did make a few more casts after that. [emoticon]

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed the pics. I certainly enjoyed the trip and heartily recommend it for any fly fisherman looking to fish small mountain streams.

Dan

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/11 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dan,

Boy, what a great trip report! That little Rainbow must have been a pugnacious sort to take on a #16! Very cool.

Thanks for taking me (and everyone else) along. Even with us tagging along, it looks like we had the place to ourselves. Even the Pigeon Forge denizens hadn't come out of hibernation... Note to self: This time next year....

Thanks,

Bill

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/11 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice & now I want to go fishing. I like the gif too, you must have done that on the fly, so to speak. Thanks for the pictures!!

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/11 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know what you means about Pigeon Forge. That's a place where the speed limit SHOULD be about 200 MPH [emoticon]

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/11 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whazoo wrote:

Very nice & now I want to go fishing. I like the gif too, you must have done that on the fly, so to speak. Thanks for the pictures!!

Actually, the gif was created from a single pic with Photoshop. And to be completely honest, the nymphs were tied at home before I left for the trip. The top three are Quill Gordon dry flies, the middle are bead head pheasant tail nymphs and the bottom are gold ribbed hare's ears, also nymphs)

skipbee

Glen Arm,Md. 21057 USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/11 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Report, got our juices flowing. We've been turned away from GSMNP twice now by weather and flooding. Your report has reinvigored me to plot the course again. I'm a semi- novice fly-fisher, seeing your fly tying set up was pretty neat. We caught some sizeable flats fish in the Florida Keys, Pompano, Jacks and Bonefish using streamers and crab lures. It gets wild on a flyrod !

Love to all,

skip

skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/11 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every time i go through pigeon forge i have never been able to go fast enough to blur a photo out the window, that place is crazy in the summer.

that shure was a pieceful trip thanks for takin us.

Dar

1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/11 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like it.
I tied a few flies and as a joke once, found what I like to call a brown feeding pellet works good in lots of places.
That first bite of sushi was lucky you were looking for a meal not a snack.
Thanks for posting.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Clarryhill

Midcoast Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/11 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, that's one pretty little stream. Thanks much for taking us along!!

2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

Bleugoat

Platter, OK

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/11 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not a fisherman, but I greatly enjoyed your trip report. It amazes me how such a small beautiful stream produces fish.

Thanks for posting.

Bill

2003 Dodge 3/4 T Cummins
2005 Outfitter Apex 8

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> GSMNP Trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.