|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another porch/deck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/11 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, after 5 years of listening to Wayne (Reddog1)and my wife complain about the 5 step stairs and discussing what a good design for a deck on my Bigfoot 2500 9'6" would look like we decided it was time to do it. So when the weather finally cooperated, we gave up beer drinking and telling lies for a couple of afternoons and got to work building one..

Wayne is quite a fabricator and I am out of my realm when it comes to this kind of work so I was like a shop helper...

Here is the approved revision 1132 drawing of my deck. When the wife and I arrived Wayne had completed the drawing and with my approval, we were ready to start. We had enough chalk left over for a game of HOP SCOTCH...

[image]

Ok class lookie here!! Get those burrs off those cut edges...Ya might hurt yer fingers!!!

[image]

Ok class here's how you use this UniStrut stuff...Pay attention to the clamps and wood. This is an on-unit lay up! Geez it will be nice to not use those sloppy 5 step stairs anymore!

[image]

Wow look at that fit!!! You would get the impression that Wayne really knows what he is doingj!!! Hay, it's starting to look like a deck frame...

[image]

Oh boy....

[image]

Here comes the lower step brackets...We couldn't make up our mind about how we were going to provide mounting for the stairs. So we did three different ways. Two are shown here.

[image]

We were using Wayne's Bigfoot stairs for getting the mounting brackets in the right place.

[image]

The finished product. Currently I am using a different bracket for the stairs. It allows the stairs to be swung up and bunggee'e up.

[image]

[image]

The stored position using the swing brackets.

[image]

I have a set of stairs like Wayne's. They need some work but may fit better than this modified 5 step stairs.. Going to use it like this and see how it goes.

I did have a plug in rack that attached to the 2 inch receiver...It did set lower than the Tubs shown. I put my levelors and various BBQ stuff in the tubs.
The weight of the Deck is about 50 lbs..About the same as the plug in rack.

As for strength...the Uni-Strut is strong enough in this design to support both the wife and I...

I could not have built this deck without the expertise and help from Wayne...We do exchange our expertises and help each other do things, especially when it comes to Beer....

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

firemedic08

North Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/11 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very Nice.

Donnie
1994 Chevy 2500 Extended cab
1987 28 ft travel villa 5th wheel.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/11 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks nice. [emoticon]

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/11 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good, do you have any problem with the storage bins scraping?

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

sstan

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/11 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job. Can you still access your basement storage?

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/11 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

very nice job... I luv that unistrut!

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Bigfootchevy

Bancroft, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/11 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Jim & Wayne I think you did an Excellent Job.

I really like your idea of using the storage tubs instead of a full deck. Also only 50 lbs is great.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/11 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dadwolf2 wrote:

Looks good, do you have any problem with the storage bins scraping?

My rack that plugs into my 2 inch receiver, which I do not need anymore, hehe, did not scrape. It sat about 6 inches lower than the bottom of the tubs.

I would worry about it about if I had a 10-11.5 ft camper. Since my camper is short, 9'6" the distance from the rear tires to the tubs is quite a bit shorter, thus less susceptibility of scraping.

I will be watching..

Jim

fatmanobx

Russellville, Ar. Home Base

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/11 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job, the only thing that would concern me is that plummers tape holding those tubs in place..Wouldn't something life a wide nylon strap like the truckers use or something simular be stronger? I would like to see a couple of pictures of the gen. racks you have attached to the ladder. How they are attached..That's a great job on them also...Happy Trails..

2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/11 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A real Smart design...Bravo!! At some point I'll have to get dirty and build one too...

3 tons

p.s. I especially liked those two auxillary diesel tanks!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another porch/deck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS