Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: State Parks that honor Golden Age Passport

Posted By: TenOC on 09/15/11 11:21am

Does anyone have a list of the STATE parks that give a 1/2 off for the federal senior Golden Age Passport card?

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Posted By: bob213 on 09/15/11 11:36am

From their website:
Which agencies honor the Senior Pass?
The Forest Service, the National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation honor the Senior Pass at sites where Entrance or Standard Amenity Fees are charged. In addition, the Corps of Engineers and Tennessee Valley Authority may honor the Senior Pass. Check with the local site for more information. http://www.recreation.gov

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Posted By: Crazy Ray on 09/15/11 11:56am

State of Louisiana DOES HONOR them.

RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

Posted By: fla-gypsy on 09/15/11 12:28pm

Some states do give senior discounts but the requirements and participation varies widely. In Florida, only resident seniors get 1/2 price at the State Parks and the GAP is not required to get it.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Posted By: RRUGG on 09/15/11 12:31pm

Arkansas state parks used to honor the federal pass. Don't know if they still do.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Posted By: RoyB on 09/15/11 01:11pm

Here in VA I get into the Skyline Drive for free and then get 1/2 off on the camp site fee... Thats pretty neat to have. $15 a nite and a lot of squirrles to squirt with my outside shower hose. Can't get much better than that...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Posted By: SidKaye on 09/15/11 01:24pm

bob213 wrote:

From their website:
The Forest Service, the National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation honor the Senior Pass at sites where Entrance or Standard Amenity Fees are charged. In addition, the Corps of Engineers and Tennessee Valley Authority may honor the Senior Pass. Check with the local site for more information. http://www.recreation.gov

Great Response, but NO STATE PARKS which is what the OP asked.

Sidney

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

Posted By: Jayco-noslide on 09/15/11 02:21pm

The Senior Pass, formerly called Golden Age is strictly a Federal Pass which is honored by campgrounds operated by all Federal agencies. A few other campgrounds, such as state parks may honor it but I haven't found any lately. Some states give their own senior discount, usually about 10% and no where near half-price, and it has nothing to do with the Federal pass.

Jayco-noslide

Posted By: louiskathy on 09/15/11 02:30pm

bob213 wrote:

From their website:

That is correct... UNLESS the area has been leased to a concessionaire.
For example... USFS has quite a few camp grounds leased to private businesses who are then not required to honor the Federally issued discount passes.

I know this is not relating to the OP's question at all...and I know this has been hashed over to death. [emoticon]

And I don't know of any State Parks in WA, OR or CA that honor the Federally issued Golden Age cards.

Kathy

Posted By: mpfireman on 09/15/11 03:06pm

No state park,s will honor the pass that I have ever been to, but some state parks have reduced rates for seniors, IF YOU ARE FROM THAT STATE. So traveling across the country, this has little effect on most of us. So start scouting out county, BLM, and even town parks, as some have lower rates than the State does.
In Illinois, seniors can camp Mon through Wednesday for 1/2 price, State residents only.

1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

Posted By: bukhrn on 09/15/11 04:45pm

An excerpt from LA. State Park Site;

America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands SENIOR and ACCESS Passes
(formerly the National Park Service Golden Age & Golden Access Passports)
Available through the U.S. Geological Survey/Dept. of the Interior, and at the following Louisiana locations: Kisatchie National Forest, Calcasieu District (Boyce) 318-793-9427
Kisatchie National Forest, Caney District (Homer) 318-927-2061
Kisatchie National Forest, Catahoula District (Bentley) 318-765-3554
Kisatchie National Forest, Kisatchie District (Provencal) 318-472-1840
Kisatchie National Forest, Pineville Office 318-473-7160
Kisatchie National Forest, Winn District (Winnfield) 318-628-4664
New Orleans Jazz Park (New Orleans) 504-589-4841
US Fish & Wildlife, Black Bayou Refuge (Monroe) 318-387-1114
US Fish & Wildlife, Cameron Refuge (Bell City) 337-598-2216
US Fish & Wildlife, Catahoula Refuge (Jonesville) 318-992-5261
Click here for more information. Visitors who hold an America the Beautiful Senior or Access Pass, and whose home State Park system honor the America the Beautiful passes for overnight discounts, are entitled to a 50% reduction on camping fees at Louisiana State Parks. (Passport holders are allowed one site per passport). State Senior Pass Discount Access Pass Discount
Delaware No Yes
Louisiana Yes Yes
Maryland Yes Yes

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Posted By: ngreen on 09/15/11 09:00pm

We were at a Louisiana State Park in May 2011, and they would not accept the Senior access card - so call first.

Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer,Up in the mountains, down by the ocean,Where don't matter long as we're goin'

Posted By: Crazy Ray on 09/15/11 09:28pm

ngreen wrote:

We were at a Louisiana State Park in May 2011, and they would not accept the Senior access card - so call first.

I would like to know WHAT staate park you stayed in. ALL La parks you get 50%off.

Posted By: SidKaye on 09/15/11 01:20pm

Louisiana State Parks offer half price to seniors and many have free high speed wifi.

Sidney

Posted By: wny_pat on 09/16/11 07:39pm

SidKaye wrote:

bob213 wrote:

From their website:

Great Response, but NO STATE PARKS which is what the OP asked.

Sidney
Its a Federally issued pass, not a state issued pass. You have to remember that the United States of America is consisted of 50 different little countries united together for certain benefits. Most of our states have their own programs and issue their own passes.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Posted By: MCDDY on 09/18/11 03:12pm

Crazy Ray
La. State Parks all honor the Golden Passport for La. residents but not others except I believe it's Maryland where there is a reciprocal (SP) agreement. Sue's cousin from Miss. was in town recently and Bayou Segnette wouldn't honor her's yet Miss. gives La. Seniors a pretty good discount, at least Percy Quinn @ McComb does.

Dave

GEAUX TIGERS

Dave, Miss Sue & Lucy the Scotty
Big Easy Area.
FMCA 153192
2000 Monaco Windsor, 40' 2 Slide, ISC 350 HP.
2012 Honda Pilot or 1998 Blazer Toads
Aventa 2, Brake Buddy

Posted By: Frank&Renae on 09/19/11 09:25am

If the State Park is on Corp of Engineer property ( the state leases the land from the Corp of Eng) then the state park will honor the Senior Pass.

Frank now without Renae
KZ Montego Bay 37CKM
2007 Dodge 3500HD DDW

Three cats -- Sunkist, Topaz, & Amber
One dog -- Rascal
Started Full Timing since March 26, 2008">

Posted By: twoppods on 09/22/11 02:14pm

My pass is a Golden access pass and is free for life if you are permently disablied and TN gives 50% off at Parks and at State owned boat access fees .

Posted By: tbax46 on 09/22/11 08:13pm

La. will honor you senior pass if you state also honors it. If your state doesn't honor it they won't either.

River Canyon, 34RLQSO
F-350 DRW King Ranch, 4.10LS
Trailair pinbox & suspension
USN & 'Nam Vet

Posted By: TenOC on 09/22/11 10:32pm

twoppod wrote:

My pass is a Golden access pass and is free for life if you are permently disablied and TN gives 50% off at Parks and at State owned boat access fees .

From the TN State web site:
Tennessee Seniors (62+) get approximately 20% off on all standard camping fees and approximately 10% off self-registration fees on a year round basis. TN Senior discounts are not available on premium sites from April through October. Year-round camping discounts are available to residents and non-residents of Tennessee who are disabled. From April 1 through October 31 disabled campers will receive a discount of approximately 20% off base rates and from November 1 through March 31 the disability discount will be approximately 50% off base rates. The TN Senior and disability discounts are available upon showing satisfactory proof of eligibility. Rates subject to change without notice.

Posted By: PyrateSilly on 09/22/11 11:19pm

I have a spreadsheet that I put together that has info on states and which ones have discounts for vets. It also has the website for each state listed. It also has the site for the federal information.

I have given it to some people already and some are putting in on the blogs and sites that they have. If anyone wants all that info on one spreadsheet just PM with your email address and I will send it to you. As others can tell you once I send it I do not send any other emails. I do not even keep your email address so you do not have to worry about possible spam stuff.

Abigail and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV.

Posted By: MSGMadhatter on 10/05/11 09:51am

Oklahoma and Arkansas DO NOT accept the pass. I have a Golden Access pass.

ARK gives out of state over age 62, 25% discount M-TH.
ARK has a complicated liist of fees on their website.

OK charges $12 for camp site, but $8 Wtr & Elec added to it. .............$3 for sewer hook up. Over 62 gets $2 off the campsite fee of $12.

With document proof, 100% Disabled get 50% off the camp fee.

MSG MADHATTER (Life Member Good Sam)
1500 HD Silverado, 6L
Jayco Eagle Super Light 298RLDS (Hers)
Jayco Greyhawk 24SS Class C (His)

Posted By: PyrateSilly on 01/06/12 10:28am

Ok, I know no one's posted in this topic for a while but did not want to start another just to let people know that I have now put the spreadsheet with the correct websites for the states and some info on a page of the blog I made. Now those that have asked for it and those that want it but don't want to give out their email can access it anytime they want and just look up the state or federal site they want whenever.

http://thomandchris.blogspot.com/

The information is free for anyone that wants to look for it so as I have stated to those that have asked "No I do NOT mind if you repost it or pass it on"

You can not just type in the state.us or state.gov since some use those and others use .com or even .org

Posted By: Jbird on 01/06/12 11:05am

This is the kind of crazy thread that drives people nuts. Follow the whole thread because youre interested in getting the information the OP has requested and what do you get? Redundant but relevant info on LA and 3 pages with virtually NOTHING else relevant to the OPs question. Is it that people cant read?

36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

Posted By: SDcampowneroperator on 01/06/12 06:48pm

SD State parks do not honor Golden Age Passport. NFS camps in the Black Hills and Big Horns of Wy. are operated by a concessionaire, so may not honor discounts. Check with them, Forest Recreation Management in Hill City , SD.
Good Luck, Max

Print  |  Close