RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: September in the Eastern Sierra: TC heaven

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> September in the Eastern Sierra: TC heaven

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/11 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Content warning: The Tiger CX is not a TC. It is a small Class C, under 20 feet. It thinks it's a TC. :-) It goes where you TC folks go. If this bothers you, do not read further.

18 days, 1600 miles, 1100 photos, and lots of great hiking. I don't fish, but many people along the way were doing so and appeared to be enjoying it.

At least half of the RV's seen were TC's, and about half of those were pop-ups. One good reason for this is that the big guys cannot fit into many of the places (trailheads, campgrounds) I visited.

Even after 20 years of Eastern Sierra trips, I haven't run out of new places to explore. I also revisited some favorites on this trip. Most nights were spent in USFS campgrounds this time; I'm not comfortable with my usual dispersed camping when it is deer hunting season.

Hike to Long Lake on the Bishop Pass trail. The altitude was even more breathtaking than the scenery. I should have waited another day to acclimatize, but I've been there before and couldn't wait to get back.
[image]

Hike to Kenneth Lake, in Rock Creek Canyon. Rain just as I returned to camp. Good timing! This pictured camp at Rock Creek Lake is not my usual kind of place, but it was right at the trailhead. Lake just across the street. Polite neighbors who turned off their noisy generators at exactly the rulebook time made this setup more tolerable than it looks.
[image]

Hike to Little Lakes Valley, a perennial favorite. Trailhead is at about 10K feet. This is Hidden Lake, an easy cross-country jaunt away from the main trail.
[image]

Explored McGee Creek Canyon, new to me this trip. It was a squeeze getting the 87-inch-wide Tiger to the trailhead at the end of the road. Looked around a bit, then back down the road to the nearly-deserted McGee Creek USFS campground. Nice view out my window!
[image]

Dayhike to Sherwin Lakes, just south of Mammoth. Nice trail, great vistas of the area, pretty lake.
[image]

I liked the Alpine Meadows campground at Martis Creek Lake (Army Corps of Engineers) so much that I used it as base camp for several nights. Clean, quiet, level spot. Only a few other sites were occupied, mostly by TC's. Supplies nearby in Truckee.
[image]

Read about the nearby Waddle Ranch Preserve on the camp kiosk, so I did a six-mile hike to Ella Lake there.
[image]

Many miles of dirt road out to the trailhead for Salmon Lake, a sort of side way in to the Loch Leven Lakes area near Donner Pass. An adventure trail, with fallen trees and rocks to climb over, bear tracks on the trail. This is some scenery along the way; I didn't quite make it to Salmon Lake.
[image]

Drove out Bowman Lake Road (nicely paved and scenic) to Carr Lake Road (vibrate-the-camper-apart dirt) and camped at the trailhead. Hiked in the Grouse Lakes area. Lots of lakes here!
[image]

Drove south along the east side of Lake Tahoe, back to 395, to Sonora Bridge USFS camp. This was my base for hikes to Secret Lake
[image]

and along the Pacific Crest Trail north of the trailhead at the top of Sonora Pass. Great vistas up there, and lots of flowers in spite of it being almost the end of September.
[image]

Explored up Lundy Canyon. Tiger is 87 inches wide and about 9.5 feet tall and got squeezed on both sides and the top getting to the trailhead at the end of the road. Fortunately the branches were the soft type that just brushed by. This road is about 1.5 miles long with very few turnouts and I met 6 other vehicles on my way out. Not fun, but the scenery was nice. This is Lundy Lake; you don't have to drive to the trailhead to get to it!
[image]

Spent an absolutely glorious day hiking in the Twenty Lakes Basin. This hike begins and ends with a water taxi ride across Saddlebag Lake. Lots of people like to fish in this area. This is Z Lake, off the main trail.
[image]

Ended the trip with another great hike, from Junction Camp at Tioga Pass to Shell and Fantail Lakes. I had the whole trail to myself until lunch time. Peace, flowers, scenery, perfect weather. This is Fantail Lake, in the Hall Research Natural Area.
[image]

You can view more of my travel photos online at https://picasaweb.google.com/CVKSmith. Included are this trip, several other Sierra trips, and a bunch of other stuff.

* This post was edited 10/01/11 01:33pm by Tiger4x4RV *

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

dbrojr

upstate ny

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/11 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice pics.....thanks for posting...

2002 f-150/jayco pop

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/11 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Tiger. Nice escape.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

BobTowne

Fairfield, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/11 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice post with nice pics! Especially for someone like me who couldn't make it to several of those places with my rig. Thanks.

GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150

tktplz

Lake Bistineau, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/11 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pix and I don't care if your in a small class C that thinks it's a TC. At least your out there doin' it. Thanks again!

"Confidence is the feeling you have before
you fully understand the situation"

1999 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
TorkLift Tie Downs
2010 Travel Lite 690FD
1996 ZX11 Ninja
2000 ZRX1100
2008 Yamaha Zuma 50 Scooter
2010 "Blue" Bulldog, "Luna"

pa traveler

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/11 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful country.

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/11 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiger4x4RV wrote:

Even after 20 years of Eastern Sierra trips, I haven't run out of new places to explore.

Probably won't either. Excellent TR.

Cal

hikerdmb

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/11 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing. After looking at your pics I don't know if I will be able to wait another 5 days. We are heading up that way next week for some camping and hiking and are hoping for great weather and some colorful aspens. Of course, no matter what, the scenery will be spectacular. After all, it is the Mighty Sierra!

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with Hemi
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Daystar Leveling Kit
285/75/17 BFG All-Terrain TA
2008 Sun-lite Eagle SB
65 Watt Solar Panel
1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler
Gregory Z-65 Backpack

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/11 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely beautiful country. Someday I'll make it. Thanks for posting.

You and the Tiger are always welcome here as far as I am concerned!!! You provide many wonderful trip reports!!!

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

acudr

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/11 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice! If we come back the eastern route, these will be good places to check out. Looks like a real peaceful trip. Glad that "big ol'" tiger could fit! Must be the skillful driving. [emoticon]

Bertram

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> September in the Eastern Sierra: TC heaven
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.