RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fort Ebey State Park. Rolling FOG and Charlie PIC's added.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fort Ebey State Park. Rolling FOG and Charlie PIC's added.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/11 11:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 4 day weekend and decided to spend it not too far from home at Fort Ebey State Park. This is a park next to Puget Sound with grand views of the Sound and Olympic Mountains. To drive anywhere on Whidbey Island is a scenic treat. There are lots of trails to hike in Ebey State Park and we did 6 to 8 miles each day with a little bit of trail repetition.

Some have expressed intrest in the history of the Forts.
Some of the reasons for the Forts of the area were defense during the Spanish American War, WWI, WWII, and it was the entrance to Puget Sound where Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, and the Bremerton Naval Shipyard were located.
Mitlitary history of Whidbey Island.
Fort Casey.
Fort Casey.
Fort Flagler.
Fort Worden.
Fort Ebey.
An interesting bit of information I was told. Baseball was a big passtime for the troops. At night, the powerful searchlights from Fort Worden would be pointed across Puget Sound at night so games could be played. I'm sure this practice was stopped during times of war.

This is Fort Ebey's Battery 248 from the back. The underground structure was for handling the materials for the guns. Two, twin 6" barrel guns and a couple machine gun nests.
[image]

[image]

[image]

All the electrical was in sealed devices. No unwanted explosions.
[image]

This is the North gun turret and in the distance are the Olympic Mountains to the left, Strait of Juan de Fuca center, and Vancouver Island to the right.
[image]

North bunker entrance.
[image]

Brief history of Battery 248.
[image]

View out West from North battery.
[image]

South gun turret.
[image]

Looking way down the cliff to the water below.
[image]

I liked these windswept trees.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

This tree made me think of a feasting Brachiosaur.
[image]

[image]

[image]

Looking North along the Bluff Trail.
[image]

Looking South along the Bluff Trail. Ebey’s Landing is the distant land spit.
[image]

A fork in the trail.
[image]

This was home for four relaxing days. After listening to much begging, a friend who loves hiking, came up and spent an overnight visit.
[image]

[image]

[image]

This is the whole gun battery buried in the hillside. The gun turrets were to each side just out of frame.
[image]

I call this “Redheads in the Mist” as Kelli walks up the trail.
[image]

Machinegun bunker. The railing behind, above, and to the right, is the entrance tunnel down.
[image]

This is looking out over the water on the last day. The weather had changed from sunny on day 2, foggy on day 3, and windy/rainy on day 4.
[image]

[image]

[image]

Looking South toward Ebey’s Landing in the stormy weather. Still a beautiful view.
[image]

[image]

[image]

This was the only beach access at Ebey State Park and is at the North end of the park. Looking North.
[image]

[image]

Local resident.
[image]

Clouds and strong winds with a bit of rain. The heavy rain was yet to come but not for too long.
[image]

Ebey’s Landing Looking South.
[image]

Ebey’s Landing looking north 70mm.
[image]

Ebey’s Landing looking north 200mm.
[image]

Very few flowering plants to be seen. Do weeds count?
[image]

[image]

Kelli and I thinking of making an offer on a beachfront villa.
[image]

Ebey’s Landing. The weather was getting ready to deliver.
[image]

Very hard rain and wind taken from inside the truck.
[image]

The Loon out in the water was loving it. The wave action must stir up a lot of good chow.
[image]

These pictures are from Fort Casey just a bit South of Ebey’s Landing and Ebey State Park.
[image]

This gun is a similar type replacement for the original 10” popup rifle.
[image]

[image]

Kelli trying to figure out how to fire this puppy.
[image]

[image]

Home sweet home away from home sweet home.
[image]

Layout of Fort Casey.
[image]

This lighthouse had the first bathtub on Whidbey Island when it was built around 1900.
[image]

[image]

[image]

Kelli climbing the light tower.
[image]

Cool view looking down the stairs of the light tower.
[image]

The Fort Casey State Park campground was closed.
[image]

Eagle.
[image]

Blue Heron.
[image]

Oyster farms.
[image]

Liked the trees along the drive. This was the old road from Coupeville to Oak Harbor. It’s right down at water level during high tide and I would bet it gets covered during extreme tides.
[image]

Looking out West through Deception Pass on the way home.
[image]

This whole group of bikers was pulled over and ticketed by three State trooper vehicles. Bad Bikers.
[image]

Whenever we get up this way, we like to stop in at the Farmhouse Restaurant for dinner and pie. This was their “Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie”.
[image]

One more for the road.
[image]

A6's on display at the entrance to Whidbey Island Naval Air Ststion.
[image]

Very interested, Charlie knows he gets to go for a walk when he hears the harness and leash.
[image]

Finally found some color other than brown and green.
[image]

[image]

Here are some pictures of interesting fog formations rolling across the Sound with the breeze. It

was a slow motion event but you could see the slow changes happening across the water. This

happened on day 3. Day 2 was sunny and warm, day 3 was cool and overcast, day 4 was strong winds

and rain.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

There is nothing anybody likes better after a 4 day trip than to get home and hop into a nice hot

shower to soak away and get cleaned up. Charlie is no exception to the rule. He should have been

a Lab.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

We had a great time. Had a couple nice fires. Cooked over the coals. Got to catch up on a lot of needed rest. But alas, the fast lane calls. Back to work now but this will not be the last trip of
the year. Somewhere, there is something to do during all the seasons. Next up is the NW Fall Colors Caravan.
Hope you enjoyed the trip report.
J&K

* This post was last edited 10/02/11 11:18pm by Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli *   View edit history

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 03:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting report and nice area , thanks for sharing . I did not know that USA had fortified her coasts, in prevision of an invasion of the Japanese fleet I suppose.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

pa traveler

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/11 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice area, Someday I would like to see it.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, we visited Cape Henlopen, and Fort Miles (on the Delaware shore), the WWII site of numerous bunkers, and triangulation observation towers (plotting suspicious ships and surfaced U-boat submarines)...

We had done a trip report on the general area, however, we could revisit and re-write the trip, and focus on the WWII historical aspects, as you have done so admirably, in your trip report.

Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report - thanks.

I always like seeing fortifications - though Sally is probably sick of them know having been dragged around every piece of steel and concrete I can gain entrance to.

Those trees tell a tail of the weather there.

Interesting to see the land sloping uniformly down to the sea. I've not seen that over here on the coast - we tend to have near vertical cliffs if the land is elevated where it meets the sea; however in places like the Lake District we get similar slopes (often scree slopes) heading down to a lake.

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeff, Looks like you made a Sound decision to go camping there. You have some of the most scenic coastline in the country, thanks for the pictures. I bet you were all charged up to see the battery. Best to you and Kelli, AqWhazoo

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics. We've been to Fort ebey and Casey on several occasions and it's always gorgeous. You can usually find para gliders flying about but it looks like maybe it was a bit too windy for them that day?

tktplz

Lake Bistineau, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the pix. It was probably a good idea to wait till the trip home to stop at the Looney Bin. Wouldn't have wanted to hike much after all the good food, LOL!

"Confidence is the feeling you have before
you fully understand the situation"

1999 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
TorkLift Tie Downs
2010 Travel Lite 690FD
1996 ZX11 Ninja
2000 ZRX1100
2008 Yamaha Zuma 50 Scooter
2010 "Blue" Bulldog, "Luna"

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.....I think I went through 4 extensive trip reports today! This is turning out to be nearly a full-time publishing occupation [emoticon]

Wonderful trip report, with lots of detail!

It is now in Trip Reports.

Silver-

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks wonderful, and those are great pics!

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fort Ebey State Park. Rolling FOG and Charlie PIC's added.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.