|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Helwig Big Wig install on 06 Dodge 3500 SRW

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
76Scoutman

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/11 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So in the quest to have a good stable rig with the camper on I have tried a few different combo's of rear suspension "enhancements". Before I got a TC I put PacBrake airbags on and they have served me well for a multipurpose truck. Priorities for my truck are first to be a good daily driver (since this is where it spends most of it's time), second to be a good tow rig, and third to look good and function well offroad.

I found out, as many of you have, that airbags are not the end all answer to controlling your camper. They serve the main purpose of leveling the rear end out and stiffening your ride. So in trying to rid my truck of the sway I made a pair of overload bumpstop extensions to make the overload springs contact the snubbers when the TC is on. I built these out of 2"x4" box tube. Well I drive my truck every day back and forth to work and this made the ride unbearable when empty. These stayed on 1 week before getting thrown in the failed projects scrap box.

One of the few things left to try was a swaybar. I had just read an article in TC Mag about the install and knew that a big beefy swaybar woulnd't effect my on road driving much but would help control my camper when it was on. I did some homework and from everything I could tell, it wasn't going to interfere with my existing airbags and wouln't hang down so bad that it gets beat up offroad. The kit came quickly, was packaged well, and was acomplete and fairly straightforward install.

So far I've been pleased and would definitely say it's worth it for a multi-purpose rig. If you leave your TC on the truck then overload spacers or similar products are probably great. For me, I leave the bags down around 10psi for around town driving (what the mfg recomends) and then pump them up to keep the truck level when the TC is on and/or when hauling a trailer.

Now on to the picts....

Here's how it came...

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

76Scoutman

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/11 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picts of the installed bar...

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Dome

Southwest Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/11 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats going to be my next mode for my rig. Good job, pics are great.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/11 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I built these out of 2"x4" box tube. Well I drive my truck every day back and forth to work and this made the ride unbearable when empty. These stayed on 1 week before getting thrown in the failed projects scrap box.

When my camper isn't on the truck, the extensions clear the overloads by 2" - 3"'s. Why was your empty ride miserable because of the extensions?

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

76Scoutman

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/11 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

Quote:

I built these out of 2"x4" box tube. Well I drive my truck every day back and forth to work and this made the ride unbearable when empty. These stayed on 1 week before getting thrown in the failed projects scrap box.

When my camper isn't on the truck, the extensions clear the overloads by 2" - 3"'s. Why was your empty ride miserable because of the extensions?

With a 2" drop extension added to my overload bumps, empty I think it was only an inch away from contacting the bumpstop. Every bump that I hit that would compress the rear end slightly would make those overloads kick in and jar the truck. Maybe it was the slap of hitting a second stage spring rate or maybe it was something else but either way I didn't like it. I put them on before heading on a 9 hr trip to Florida and about an hour into the trip I was ready for them to come off (but didn't have a wrench).

Honestly, I never ran with them with the TC on, they just didn't stay on long enough to make a trip.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/11 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the very good photos and install write-up. Added to the TCU Stickie Thread.

76Scoutman

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/11 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Brad.

Someone had PM'd me asking a few questions so I figured I'd post answers here.

"The swaybar made a big difference in the handling. It will still sway a little bit but was reduced significantly and I feel more comfortable keeping highway/interstate speeds with it on. Keep in mind that my TC is a pop up so it's not as heavy or high as some but results should be similar. The install was an afternoon project that took just a few hours by myself and a couple of basic hand tools. The cost was @$250 give or take depending on where you buy it from."

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/11 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are terrific tips that you are posting - great photos too! Many thanks.

wldbill

SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just ordered one for my 2007 Dodge Dually w/Northern Lite 10'2" CDSE. Good to hear you had good results!

silverbullet02

Kingston, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are those still the stock shocks? If so, a good set of shocks will make a big difference too! I like the finish on that sway bar. Same finish I have on the 9" under my Trans Am. Too bad it's where you can't see it, haha!

2007 Dodge 2500 QCLB, 5.9 Cummins---Roadmaster sway bar, Rancho RS9000's, Firestone air bags, Rickson 19.5 wheels, Michelin XDS2 225/70's.
2007 Arctic Fox 811

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Helwig Big Wig install on 06 Dodge 3500 SRW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS