|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Latest trip to Idaho's high country

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
insp1505

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 01:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is most likely my last trip to the high country this year as well. I spent my last week off in the Lemhi Mountain’s of east central Idaho. I ran into snow and with another storm forecast for this weekend I don’t know if I’ll be able to make the steep 2000’ climb in 4 miles to get into the Meadow Lake area again until next July when the snow melts. I took some pictures of the area with the first snow of the season that was still hanging on from a storm that occured a few weeks ago.

Meadow Lake campground sits at about 9200’ elevation so it got cold (below freezing) at night. I was the only one camping there, I had the whole campground to myself until the last night when some brave tent campers showed up well after dark and set up camp while I was hanging out by my fire. They were gone before I got up the next morning, not sure if they were forced out during the night due to cold or if they just get up earlier than I do.

It’s sad to see the fall camping season coming to an end. I’ll still go camping during the winter, just not as often and probably not all week long either. I want to try a full week of winter boondocking somewhere just because I never have, so it’s still an option. Only thing around here is when the weather is sunny the temps are usually around zero and below (for the high), when it warms up it usually means some pretty good snow storms.

It’ll be an adventure either way if I do get out for that long. Stanley area sounds nice (for the winter scenery) but I think I might need more propane than my two 30 pound bottles will carry for a week. Here are some pictures that keep me going back for more though, hope you enjoy.

This is a shot from the valley floor along highway 28 closer to the southern end of the Lemhi Mountain Range on the way to Meadow Lake.

[image]

The sharp peak just in front of the camper in the next picture is Diamond Peak. At 12,197’ it is the 4th highest peak in Idaho. Diamond is also one of 3 peaks in Idaho and one of 57 summits in the lower 48 with a prominence of 5,000 feet or more. Prominence is the elevation difference between the summit and the lowest contour that encircles it and no higher summit. It is the minimum height by which one would have to descend from the summit in order to re-ascend to a higher peak. Every time I drive past it on my way camping I tell myself I need to climb it before I get too old. Well it didn’t happen this year but I still have a few years left in me.

[image]

Here is the entrance view of Meadow Lake Campground and my campsite near the lake. It’s a great view from the dinette window on the passenger side.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Here are a few more views from around the lake taken over the next few days.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The fishing was great at Meadow Lake but it was quite breezy and cold. My fingers froze every time I had to take a fish off the hook.

[image]

After a couple of days I decided to descend to lower country and try another lake to see if it was warmer during the day for fishing. Unfortunately the fish weren’t biting at this other lake. So I took a hike instead, spent the night and returned to Meadow Lake for the last couple days before I had to return to work. Here are a few photos from the lower country. This was around 8,000’ elevation.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Back at Meadow Lake I hiked up towards the Lemhi Divide through the snow. It was 6-8 inches deep in a few spots. There are a couple of small ponds up the hill above the lake. One was completely frozen over but this one made a nice reflection where it had thawed.

[image]

I like photographing these old dead and dying trees, there sure are plenty of them up here.

[image]

[image]

The last night out I tried some night photography with the campfire side-lighting the camper. I know I need a newer camera if I want to get better night pictures. Very grainy, lots of noise but it still looked kind of cool with the Milky-Way passing overhead.

[image]

Thanks for looking, have a nice day!

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 01:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Photos and Trip Report. Thank you very much for posting. It looks like you had a great time, the scenery was very impressive.

Bob in Oakland, Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 01:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are my hero. Thanks again for sharing your fantastic adventures of such a majestic place through your keen photography. And for helping us big city dwellers keep our dreams alive of adventure and discovery of natural beauty.

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife "> 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 02:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been up to Silver City a couple times for day trips but never had the chance to camp out in Idaho's high country. Thanks for the report and great pictures.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Chief 2

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 05:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love Idaho. we will be heading west again next spring and I plan on spending awhile exploring Idaho. Thanks for the pics.

2005 Lance 1181 Loaded
2005 Chevy 3500 4X4 Duramax, Edge Attitude Tuner, 5" Exhaust, Airaid, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig
2007 38RL3 Mobile Suite
2001 Bass Tracker 185

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 05:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report and pics, thanks

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice, thanks. I really like the last night picture.

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nycsteve wrote:

Nice, thanks. I really like the last night picture.

x2

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Clarryhill

Midcoast Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/11 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely beautiful!!

2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pictures. Idaho is a beautiful state. Spent some time in July just roaming various roads there. HOWEVER, my winter camping will be in an RV park in Arizona where it'll be a lot warmer than Michigan.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Latest trip to Idaho's high country
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.