|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The Yosemite Anniversary Loop Trip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/11 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When most of us think of Yosemite we think of an old National Park with mystical properties and awe-inspiring landscape. Jean my Queen's family made a yearly pilgrimage to the place fabled for a two week summer tent camp. Her family made this trip during her father's only 2 weeks of vacation during the 1950's and 1960's. So, you see, the place means something to her. I had never been there until I went with her about 1970.
Somewhere along our married way, we started to camp there more often with our now grown children and other odd and assorted friends. The place is magical.
For the last 15 years, the kids gone (in stage three, out of the house and out of our pocket) we have celebrated our wedding anniversary there in the Truck Camper. Every 5th year we splurge and stay at the Ahwahnee Hotel. Every year we have an anniversary dinner at the Ahwahnee. Remember, our anniversary date is November 18th, so weather could play a big part. The forecast was for snow on our anniversary. None showed up.
This year we had our reservations in using the golden geezer pass, and were set to enter the park from the west. By chance I got on line the day before departure and found that Tioga Pass was open! It has been closed several times this fall by heavy snows, but the snow has since melted off enough to allow traffic. So the die was cast: we would attempt a first ever Yosemite Anniversary Loop Trip. I made sure I had chains aboard. We set off to the East from our home on the west slope of the Sierra Nevada making good time over Donner summit and on down Hwy 395 to Lee Vining, at the base of the hwy 120, Tioga Pass Road. All the signs said open, so we started the climb.
Here's the east flank of Tioga Pass area:
[image]
and frozen Summit Lake:
[image]
The entry to the highest campground in the Sierra Nevada at Saddlebag Lk:
[image]
Lake Tenaya. The place is covered like ants during the summer with campers and bathers. Not today.
[image]
[image]
The obligatory Iconic shot of half dome on the way in from the northwest;
[image]
Our spot at upper pines camp: Not many folks in the campground until Friday night.
[image]
The start of the Mist Trail. There are nine deer in this photo.
[image]
sundry pics along the Mist Trail:
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
Yosemite falls. John Muir had a cabin in those woods:
[image]
Our diminutive white chariot:
[image]
These folks had minimalist camping trailers. The sign on the fender said: "Occupy Yosemite".

[image]
[image]

It was a wonderful 44th anniversary in every way. Thank God we can still do this.
regards, as always, jefe

* This post was last edited 11/22/11 09:51pm by jefe 4x4 *   View edit history

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/11 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful, absolutely Beautiful!

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

fdmikej

Cooper City, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful.....awe-inspiring natural mountain landscape....We live in a great country with alot of state and national park outdoor opportunities. I wish I lived closer. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing this trip! Enjoyed it all!!

Kathy

BobTowne

Fairfield, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/11 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of our favorite places and a wonderful place to spend an anniversary - especially in the off-season as your pics demonstrate. Thanks for sharing, and may you have many happy anniversaries in the future.

GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations and best wishes for many more. Great place to visit. Thanks for sharing the pics and story.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jefe,

The fact that you both love truck camping together after 44 years is testament to the strength of your marriage. Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories with us (and many more Happy Anniversaries!).

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SeƱior Jefe, A big congrats on the 44, it happens to be a very good number. Don't ask me how I know, I just do. And a good looking trip it was too. Don't you remember when the road to Saddlebag was dirt? And your white chariot is like a fine white wine, it just gets better with age, and a little tinkering. Tomorrow we head for Borrego for our yearly Thanksgiving. Been going there since 1972 for turkey, well mostly except for our Oregon days. I know, you have some years on me there, but I'm trying to catch up. See ya around Jefe, best to you and Jeannie.

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy 44 jefe & Jeanie!

Thanks for posting the Yosemite Anniversary Loop Trip pictures and report. My family camped in the valley or Toulume Meadows for two weeks every summer. That was back when they still had the Fire Fall from Glacier Point. Those were very good times for us.

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

DiscoChicken

Lawrenceville, GA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing. Happy Anniversary. 44 years is wonderful. Something to aspire to.

Adventurer/Ford

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The Yosemite Anniversary Loop Trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.