RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Trip Report-Anchorage, AK-Thanksgiving-&-Avion Maiden Voyage

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report-Anchorage, AK-Thanksgiving-&-Avion Maiden Voyage

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
garryk6

Central WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 11:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, Many may know of our endeavors of restoring/remodeling our 1966 Avion C10 TC. And some may remember that our summer vacation got postponed due to a little accident with my right hand and the table-saw. So we finally figured that we already had the tickets bought for the ferry trip from Kodiak, AK to Homer, AK so we figured, lets try to do Thanksgiving in Anchorage. Well we thought it would still be in the 30's for November, so I got working on the camper, and getting the basics done for our trip and maiden voyage. So the week before we left it got into the teens in Kodiak, and Anchorage dipped below zero, so some quick research hear and over at Four Seasons Campers, and we had the camper ready to go.
So Saturday before Thanksgiving we loaded up in a snowstorm, and headed down to the ferry terminal.
[image]

Here is the ferry elevator to take us into the belly of the beast.
[image]

And a fisherman coming back before the storm hits too hard[emoticon]
[image]

on the elevator "going down"
[image]

Sittin on the turntable waiting to spin around and than get backed into a slot. THey like to really pack us in!
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

As we left they added an extra tie-down to the camper tie-down so it wouldn't sway or rock into the upper protective rung with the camper... we ended in roughly 20ft seas, so the ferry was rocking pretty good. Good thing for dramamine for the family. We laid all the kids and momma down in a room, and tried to sleep. When we got to Homer, AK The seas at the dock were still so rough that we had 6 to 8 foot swells trying to get off the ferry. THe family all wobbled down the gang plank, and walked to the waiting area, and I waited to nearly the very end, and when they got me on the elevator, the got me up, and the ramp chained to the elevator, and when the ramp/boat was on it's way down, the yelled at me to GO!!!! ANd I had to get off before the boat and ramp started back up, without draggin the camper or steps...

Once we were off, we started or journey up the Kenai Penninsula.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

We arrived in Anchorage after dark, and set up camp in the camper. My oldest set up his "man-cave" in the cab with an extension cord and electric heater and a 0F sleeping bag. THe rest of us climbed in the camper and turned on the Wave 3 and the 1500W electric heater. Found out the next morning that it hit 9 below zero that night. THe camper stayed a nice warm 65F in the camper, and we only had a little frost and ice on a few spots on the walls.
The nice thing with the heater in the cab is that the windows were all thawed, but the engine was a little cold starting that morning.[emoticon]
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Anchorage was really beautiful the next morning!
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The next morning had lots of fresh snow!
[image]

[image]

[image]

We weren't the only ones crazy at the Air Force Base camp ground! THere were actually 18 others!
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]
Here is the motley crew at the Base Galley having a nice dinner out of the camper.

[image]

Here's Peggy's Pies that Sara Palin helped out on her Alaska Reality Show.
[image]

And we ate it Thanksgiving after eating out at Golden Corral (Buffet Restaurant).
[image]

We got a room for Thanksgiving and had a chance for the 6 of us to spread out a little bit.
[image]

And in the morning there was alot of fresh snow, And I was glad that the Camper was plugged into the "block heater pole" in the parking lot! But it caused some rally neat icicles[emoticon]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Well after all the shopping, and food, we left Saturday afternoon for Kenai as we didn't know what the Pass conditions were, so as we were going along Turnagain Arm, we got to see all the ice-flows in the bay, as well as some other really cool sights!
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]
Then as we got closer to the ferry in Homer..

[image]

Then Back on the ferry in Homer!
[image]

[image]

The next day, the seas had calmed a bit, and were pretty calm near the islands, but as we got closer to town, around Buoy 4 we had 6 to 8 foot swells, though they don't show well in the pics.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

And here is one of the locals out in his skiff at noon on a monday with the temperature at 15F, and running outside the channel between the rocks...
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Well I guess I've bored you all to tears... So hopefully you enjoyed!!!

Garry, Back in Kodiak

Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/11 02:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! Beautiful!
Thanks for the great pictures... Now I want to go, too.

Best Regards,
Joerg

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/11 03:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice photos, thanks for posting.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/11 04:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report, very impressive, thanks for sharing.

I have a question, that maybe seem stupid but in Normandy we rarely see this weather and only one or two days a year, so on these roads do you active your 4x4 or still in 2x4 ?
And what tires have you ? M+S or other ? Chains ?

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

noxinnhoj

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/11 04:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting your pics,they are very interesting,and I like your avion!

1995 silverado dually,2005 lance 915 lite

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/11 05:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holy Smokes!!!! That ferry ride was an adventure in itself!!!

How long does it take for the crossing?

Looks like everyone had a good time and the Avion performed well!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! [emoticon]

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/11 05:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow man! That's the most comprehensive trip report I've seen on Alaska to date. Great photos!

Excellent camper.

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Clarryhill

Midcoast Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/11 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Garry, great shots, and certainly an adventure in cold-weather camping. Nice job, sir! Many many thanks for sharing.

2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/11 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the pics and report. BRRRR!

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/11 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like y'all had a wonderful time and the camper did really well considering the temps. Thanks for the unusual pics of Alaska when the cold and snow is just starting to set it.

You now know some of your weak spots in the insulation and where you need to add some more.

Luckily, I don't have those issues. When I want to see those temps below 0, I just hit that C/F button on the overhead.

Question on the ferry, do they chain all the vehicles down, just the larger ones, and/or only when the seas are rough?

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report-Anchorage, AK-Thanksgiving-&-Avion Maiden Voyage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.