RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Trip Report. Weekend at Rasar State Park, WA. Photos.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report. Weekend at Rasar State Park, WA. Photos.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/12 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We missed the NW Spring Rally at Rasar State Park due to having to file taxes, then we missed the next weekend to the Tulip Festival due to cell phone plan issues. We did salvage one day out by camping at my brother's home near the event. He has a pretty nice place to stay surrounded by urban forest and quiet. Finally, we got this weekend out. The plan was to go to Westport, WA. Twin Harbors State Park but due to a late start, no surprise, we decided to take a shorter trip to Rasar SP and just hang, doing nothing but relax!!!

As a result of the cell phone issues, we got ourselves new smart cell phones with data and wifi hotspot plans. Can't decide if it's cool to be able to check in with RV.NET, Facebook friends, etc... or if we have gone to the dark side by not disconnecting from the world while out camping or not. Only a couple years ago, you would think one to be nuts to say one day you will be able to call friends, surf the web, or have GPS to help you navigate nearly anywhere you go. We made use of our new technology to help guide us to our destination even though we knew exactly where we were going. The first thing I noticed using the GPS and satellite map images was the view of Rasar SP's image from space.

Rasar State Parks Group Camp area looks like Sponge Bob Square Pants from space!
[image]

We also noticed that the GPS tells us our speed very accurately. I worry there is some place busy writing tickets for GPS users.

About the Park, We have driven through a couple times but never stayed. Rasar is a nicely maintained park with nice trails to hike, lots of plants and creatures of all sizes. We were lucky enough to be there at a time when so many types of plants were in bloom. The air was full of pleasantness. There are no difficult trails, some are paved for accessibility.

These are a series of images of the main open field in the park you walk across to get to the Skagit River.
[image]

[image]

The Skagit River.
[image]

[image]

[image]

Deer prints running off into the river.
[image]

Never did see the deer.
[image]

There was a field East, next to the park with goats and a gaurd Llama.
[image]

The fields have been mowed since these images were taken so the colors/weeds are gone.
[image]

The park has some very lush rain forest within. very enjoyable walking trails.
[image]

Plants blooming everywhere.
[image]

This was the view out the dinet window. Campsite 17 and 18 are what we considered the best for privacy. They have no hookups. Hookup sites tend to be more open and less private and there are about 20 of those.
[image]

Took Charlie out for a walk.
[image]

[image]

[image]

After his walk, Charlie did what cats do best.
[image]

After walking several miles, I decided to do a TC project that had been waiting long enough. I installed a new solenoid relay switch between the truck alternator and the TC batteries. I spliced the actuating wire for the new solenoid to the actuating wire for the Ford factory cube solenoid that powers the 7 pin plug power wire to the TC Batteries. Both wires are active in charging the TC batteries on the road.
[image]

[image]

New solenoid.
[image]

Taping the wires and reassembling the covers, cube solenoid, and replacing onto mount on side of main fuse block.
[image]

Finished.
[image]

The twin relay cubes remounted to the fuse block and the split loom below with the wire to the new solenoid switch inside it with the rest of the wires.
[image]

I did a couple other quick projects too. The actuating coil in the new solenoid draws 662 miliampers of current. I was going to install a "Perfect Switch" battery separator but could not justify the cost. The solenoid works just great.

For more information on other Truck and Camper projects, Click.

Back to the park and the trails.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Rasar SP is a nice place to go and hang a couple days. I would say extra good if you have kids. Farther East is Howard Miller Steelhead Park. It too is family friendly with good walking trails and play areas for kids.

J&K

* This post was last edited 05/05/12 11:09am by Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli *   View edit history

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

turtletalk

NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the informative report-including your technology transition with phones.Beautiful photos.

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been to Raser a couple of times. You took great shots of a pretty park. Excellent.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should add that all the pictures were taken with the new Nokia cell phones. Some of the pictures had the phones photo fix function applied to the images. Not great but good enough.
J

SALTYDOG5435S-TEX

Beeville, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the report. Another place added to the list.

Thanks again
Cliff

2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug

5percent

N. San Diego County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hummm, gonna have to travel faster to see all the neat places posted here. Lovely pictures of a lovely place. thank you for sharing!

06 Ford F-350 diesel DRW Crew Cab 4X4
06 Bigfoot 25C10.6

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice TR. Rasar is one of our favorite CG's and we spend at least one weekend a year there. This year we'll be there Labor day and will probably take a drive over the mountain to Winthrop for some sight seeing.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the report, very nice area.
Your technical expertise could help me a day, thanks.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/12 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....I can confirm: you indeed have gone over to the Dark Side [emoticon]

Welcome to "the club" ! I didn't bother with a "data plan" for my Android Samsung. There are simply too many free wi-fi hotspots out there; however, I did take unlimited texting.

Beautiful photos, and nice write-up, too!

Cheers,
Silver

*BTW: your trip report is now in Trip Reports [emoticon]

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/12 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Jeff, That's a lot of nice greenery there. I think green is sooo relaxing, I can just feel it now. Think I need to do what your cat was doing, and my dog...napping. Thanks Mr. Jeff, I gotta get back up to your neck of the woods some day, I didn't see enough.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report. Weekend at Rasar State Park, WA. Photos.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.