|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Personal Property Tax

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2hams wrote:

Just received the personal property tax bill from the City of Virginia Beach. Again this year they had incorrectly billed at the car tax rate ($3.57 per 1000) rather than the RV rate ($1.50 per 1000). Pretty significant savings to call the city # on the back of the bill. I know there is at least one other rv.net member in Va Beach.

The only depressing part is seeing how small the assessed value is I guess that I should just remember that and how much fun it is to wash when thinking of getting a newer larger fifth wheel.

I wouldn't be upset about the low assessed value. THey always assess lower, and it is a win for you as that means the tax will be lower (once they adjust it right, that is).

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2hams wrote:

Yes, we have state registration, city sticker and personal property tax. There is also real estate tax, but no school tax. Still overall cheaper than Central NY, by nearly half.

Good old Virginia. I feel your pain. LOL

But ya, still cheaper than NY!

W4RLR

Sewanee, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most expensive plate I had to pay for when I moved to Tennessee was for my fiver. Nearly $100. But that is all I will ever pay, it's a permanent plate.

The truck and the DW's car? About $25 each. Again, they're permanent plates because I'm a 100 percent service connected veteran.

No personal property taxes on anything. If I do buy the sticks and bricks the wife and I like, the first $175,000 of value gets a rebate on real property tax from Nashville.

When we decided to leave Florida, checking on the tax situation on states we were considering has saved us thousands of dollars.

For those of you being taxed to the gills, you have my sympathy.

Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2hams wrote:

Just received the personal property tax bill from the City of Virginia Beach. Again this year they had incorrectly billed at the car tax rate ($3.57 per 1000) rather than the RV rate ($1.50 per 1000). Pretty significant savings to call the city # on the back of the bill. I know there is at least one other rv.net member in Va Beach.

The only depressing part is seeing how small the assessed value is I guess that I should just remember that and how much fun it is to wash when thinking of getting a newer larger fifth wheel.
You are slightly confused, & lucky, first, according to this, your rate for cars is $3.70 per 100, not per 1000, but, you are lucky in that our rate, (New Kent County) is $3.75 per 100, no matter if car or RV.

PERSONAL PROPERTY

?Elderly/Disabled Tax Reduction Applications Due

?April 1

?Personal Property Tax Due

?Vehicles registered with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) between January 1 and March 31 usually receive tax bills in May with a due date of June 5. Vehicles registered with DMV after March 31 usually receive a prorated tax assessment in a supplemental billing between August and the end of the year. ?

?Cars, Light Trucks, Trailers, Business Vehicles, & Motorcycles

?$3.70 per $100

?Boats
("privately owned pleasure boats and watercraft used for recreational purposes only")

?One millionth of one cent ($0.000001) per $100

?All other boats

?$1.50 per $100

?Recreational vehicles (privately owned travel, camper trailers & horse trailers)

?$1.50 per $100

?Qualified Vehicles for Elderly or Disabled

?$3.00 per $100

?Qualified Vehicles for Disabled Veterans

?$1.50 per $100

?For-hire Property Motor Carriers

One millionth of one cent ($0.000001) per $100

?Mobile Homes

?$0.89 per $100

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Doug and Cassi Glass

Satellite Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VA Beach is CHEAP! In Clifton Forge we get to pay town and county tax to the rate of almost $13.00 per hundred!!!

I asked the mayor at a council meeting right after we moved here why they charged such high rates. His answer was, "Because we can!". I almost went over the podium for a chunk of him.

Water and sewer has gone from unlimited amount for $50 a month ten years ago to $96 a month for 5,000 gallons a month and $35 a month when turned off while we are in Florida for six months because it's available.

And these rural little towns wonder why they're dying. They aren't dying they're committing suicide.

Off rant. Over and out.

DznyFan

Northern VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fairfax Co., VA is pretty bad as well. Take the purchase price, multiply by .6, divide by 100, multiply by $4.57, bend over and grab your ankles and bite hard on a leather belt. I guess if you can afford the mega diesel pusher the PP tax doesn't bother you. The PP tax does depreciate a bit. The first two years it's based on 60 percent of the purchase price, then 50 percent the next year, then 40 percent and it settles at 20 percent for as long as you own it. I'm glad I keep mine in Prince William County, no PP tax.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 36LA

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mpfireman wrote:

Trade you, Our TAX bill for our house is $ 8,500 this year. OH, we have no personal property tax yet, but our state is broke. SO ?

A few years back we got fed up with property taxes like that and passed Prop. 13, many claim that is why CA is broke now, I wonder why IL is broke along with so many other states with their high taxes? I think my license fee(tag fee) was less than $100.00 and no property taxes yet on RVs.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000
Blue Ox Apollo Brake Sys.(missing after break in, shopping for new one)

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In NC, the tags are the same across the state. My TT was $12. My truck is a commercial weighted tag and the rate is based on the weight. Mine is rated at 10,000lbs and cost $103. To go up to the next rating ( either 12,500 or 15,000) the price nearly triples.

Property tax is based on the county and/or city you live in. We live in a rural area and just pay county. They list my TT at $20,000 and the taxes I just paid was $107. The truck will be just a little more. If we were 35 miles south in Charlotte we would be at least double or triple.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Personal Property Tax
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: