|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel values Dropping fast

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SuperDutyMan

Western PA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not concerned about the depreciation,we are getting ready to retire in a few years,( been camping for about 15 years)do a little snow birding in Florida,maybe run out west a few times,have no desire to full time,it's a great quality unit,we paid cash for it,I maintain it meticulously,store it inside in the winter,if I get 10 or so years of camping out of it,I"ll just give it to the kids,or park it somewhere and use it on the weekends and say,boy that was fun.....!

2011 Palomino Sabre 31RETS,5th Wheel,Triple Slide,4000W Onan Genset
2006 Super Duty,XLT, V10, 6 Speed, 4.10, Tow Command, Tow Pkg. 4X4,Dual Exhaust,K&N,Reese 15K,Air Bags

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/12 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SuperDutyMan wrote:

Not concerned about the depreciation,we are getting ready to retire in a few years,( been camping for about 15 years)do a little snow birding in Florida,maybe run out west a few times,have no desire to full time,it's a great quality unit,we paid cash for it,I maintain it meticulously,store it inside in the winter,if I get 10 or so years of camping out of it,I"ll just give it to the kids,or park it somewhere and use it on the weekends and say,boy that was fun.....!

Amen! I really like your outlook!

83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxTiger wrote:

Snow_King wrote:

Just a fact of the times we are in. The next generation will not have the income to purchase such items. We will have to start exporting them to china.

Or importing from China so the next generation can afford them. Can you imagine a cheap spec TT from China? I bet it wouldn't last three yrs. I know China can build good stuff too, depending on how it's spec's, but what about an outsourced low spec Lippert frame from China. Comforting isn't it?

Most of the materials are probably from china making new trailers, in Calgary here all the bearings i find at every store are made in china as well as the wheel bearing seals.

stickdog

29.820224, 81.94542

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's take a long term look at this, there was a time that gold was $35 an ounce it's now around $1600.00 an ounce. Has it's value gone up or the "Dollars" gone down? Monetary policy or lack of it are the root cause of many of our fiscal problems.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
04 HitchHiker DA LS 33.5 RLTG
09 F350 CC DRW 4X4
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

W4RLR

Sewanee, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 01:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blue Book value is only important if you are buying or selling. I'm doing neither.

Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 03:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Artemus Gordon wrote:

Not sure where OP got his facts. I don't see the negative effects on equity, being much different now, from 8 or 9 years ago, before the worst recession in modern times. What I do see are are lots of people being "negative or unhappy" for no real reason and it fueling fears. I sold my 2010 TT for nearly what I paid for it. My new RV was purchased at a great price and plan to get out in two years with little or no steep depreciation. I conceed, several popular RV companies and makers of FW went out of business recently. Those brands that have not been obsorbed by bigger companies will sell used for substantially less. Orphans will always sell for less, and might appear to lower overall values. I frankly feel $1.00 or more a gallon is not grinding things to a stand still, I do think negative statements unsupported don't help at all. I think our kids will be fine, just like my generation was fine, when our parents had doubts.

I agree.....worked both ways for me.Traded one 5ver on a newer one and got a lot more than I thought.(dealer needed a used unit like ours) and got a great deal on a used 5ver to replaced the one we traded.

cpaulsen

Rossey

Appomattox, Virginia. / Rockville, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Life's way too short......... I say don't worry about the depreciation & enjoy what years you have left doing what you enjoy....RVing. Remember when you "kick the bucket" the Fed's. & state will get their share of your estate after your heirs so why not bite the bullet & spend the bucks now ? That way there won't be as much of your hard earned $$$ left to "SPREAD THE WEALTH" to those who don't deserve it if you know what I mean.

OldGreaser

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a plan. Once I get over the border and into China I'm going to open an American laundry. Then I can begin smuggling in family & friends. We'll be rich!

avvidclif1

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I have the wrong outlook but my rv purchases are predicated on what I feel is a fair price and has the amenities that I want. Resale value doesn't enter into the picture, enjoyment factor does. I don't buy an rv planning on selling it but using it.

Clif & Millie
Ozzie half a dog tall and 2 dogs long
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2013 Crossroads Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition

dieselhorse

South Texas .........a whole 'nother country

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OldGreaser wrote:

I have a plan. Once I get over the border and into China I'm going to open an American laundry. Then I can begin smuggling in family & friends. We'll be rich!

LOL! among the gloom and doom, a laugh is a welcome break.

dieselhorse: a free range animal
"Mountain Cabin" 2001 Northwood Nash 245N
2007 Dodge 2500 quad short "Lone Star" 4x4 w/5.9 CTD, 48RE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel values Dropping fast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts