RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: 12V system functionality Starcraft 2407

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> 12V system functionality Starcraft 2407

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ScubaSteve17

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a 2005 Starcraft model 2407 last summer. It came with a battery however we never used it.
As I tired to fire up the 12V system I can't seem to get anything to work. I have replaced all fuses and put in a new battery. I followed some instructions I found online to test if the converter was working.
(unhook the ground from the battery and plug in to shore power. If the lights didn't dim all should be good.) That all seemd to be good. Couldn't test the pump as I am still trying find how to turn it on. Manual doesn't tell you anything.
The converter does run because you can hear the cooling fan kick in especially when the old battery was hooked up it was every 30 seconds or so. With the new battery it is not as often.
Fairly new to this so not sure if anyone can provide some direction. Do I have to turn the 12V on or is it automatically on?

Thanks

* This post was edited 06/21/12 05:46am by ScubaSteve17 *

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most pop-ups have a disconnect switch somewhere by the flip up sink. If the sink is in the travel position the switch disables all 12 volts inside the pop-up so you don't burn it up due to lights being left on. So look around the flip up for two wires going to a switch. Short them together and see if the lights come on. If they do then remove the short and try closing the switch and see if it works. If it does then your switch is out of position and will need adjusted.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really need to get one of these inexpensive ($7-$20) multimeter from Lowes, Walmart, or any number of local autoparts places. This takes the guessing out of where the 12VDC isn't at. The way this works is the converter/charger unit operates from your 120VAC shore power cables and provides 12VDC power to the 12VDC Power Distribution Panel where all of your 12VDC fuses are located. This is where all of your 12VDC appliances including the ceiling lights, water pump, sensors, etc are tied into the trailer. The converter/charger also provides charging voltage for your connected 12VDC battery. With the battery charged up and connected this will also provide 12VDC power to the 12VDC Power Distribution Panel to operate all of your fused 12VDC appliances from the battery source. The battery also provides another very important purpose in that if you have electric brakes installed on your trailer this is where the DC voltage comes from to lock up your electric brakes to stop your trailer in the event it all becomes disconnect from the truck going down the road. This is a DOT requirement to have a working disconnect brake system. If your trailer has electric brakes and you have been pulling this around the country all of these years then you have been in violation of this requirement. You could be fined or your insurance may work in your favor for damages incurred if the trailer has become disconnected when being pulled...

The DC multimeter will be very handy to find out where your 12VDC is not present. The battery connections is usually the fault alot of folks make when hooking them up. It is very easy to get them reversed. Always grab the cable that is connected to the NEGATIVE terminal of the battery which will be stamped on the battery case "NEG" or a symbol "-" and make sure this is the cable going to frame ground. A confusing thing is the color of the battery cables. The RV colors for this is BLACK for POSITIVE (+) and WHITE for NEGATIVE(-). The automotive colors for battery connections is most always RED for Positive (+) and BLACK for Negative (-). Sometimes either color group is used for the battery cables. So the thing to always have in your mind is look for the marked "NEG" or "-" on the battery case and make sure this cable goes to frame ground real close to the battery location.

There is three fuses associated with the battery cable. An inline fuse will be real close to the Battery POSITIVE terminal connection and two additional fuses will be located in the 12VDC Power Distribution Panel usually set off to themselves. All three of these fuses usually blow when the battery terminal cables get reversed.

Once you get all of this straight and operating properly then you can start running down the other possible reasons...

photo from google images

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2008 Starcraft 14RT originally had the ELIXIR 30AMP Converter/Charger installed so I suspect your trailer probably has the same. There is only ONE 30A ATC type fuse in this panel for the REVERSE Battery protection not two as stated in my previous post.

I see your ELIXIR installed above your furnace in this 2005 Starcraft 2407 trailer photo. If these fuses are good including the one next to the battery installation then I suspect you have a DEAD battery. A battery will run completely down in just a week if left connected for a long period of time.

photo from google images

* This post was edited 06/21/12 06:53am by RoyB *

Lovedays

Greensboro, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

Most pop-ups have a disconnect switch somewhere by the flip up sink. If the sink is in the travel position the switch disables all 12 volts inside the pop-up so you don't burn it up due to lights being left on. So look around the flip up for two wires going to a switch. Short them together and see if the lights come on. If they do then remove the short and try closing the switch and see if it works. If it does then your switch is out of position and will need adjusted.

I used to own a 2407 and I think the disconnect was on the screen door. It had to be in place to work.

2009 Jayco Jay Flight G2 29BHS
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember hearing about a disconnect switch on the outside of one of the popups just under the rim of the roof. I don't remember which brand it was but a quick walk around the outside while looking up can't hurt.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Wildcat63

MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am pretty sure my cut off switch also shuts off power to the water pump. The only things that work when the sink isn't up is the outside scare light and the light in the front trunk.

Wildcat

Wildcat63
07 Coachmen Clipper Classic 1070ST
02 Explorer 4.6 V8 TV

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one on my Jayco that was attached to the roof that was a momentary contact switch that cut the 12v lighting when the roof closed down.

My Fleetwood has the switch installed around the rear bunk-end. The bunk-end has to be slid out to activate the switch to allow power to the lights.

Both of these situations only controlled the lights and nothing of the rest of the 12v system.

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My kill switch is located under the galley. If the galley isn't set correctly, it won't engage the kill switch. Learned that little issue before even taking the trailer off the dealer's lot. The kill switch disconnects the overhead lights, water pump, and furnace.

The only 12V devices that work with the kill switch in "off" are the outside lights and fridge.

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

ScubaSteve17

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate everyones replies. Still battling this. I have had much help from tiredTeach. My disconnect is under the stove when you put it up. It disconnects the Lights, Furnace and Refer. Using my multimeter the battery is putting out 12.58V. I have proven continuity at the ground on the frame. I have proven continuity at the disconnect switches. I have replaced all the fuses in my ELX-25. I have also replaced the 2 30A fuses that are inline to the + terminal on the battery. I have proven that nothing works off the 12V system. Lights, Furnace or Fridge. I don't have a water pump to test.
I am going to post some pictures of my converter once I figure that out.
The battery I have is brand new.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> 12V system functionality Starcraft 2407
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS