|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip report: Expo 2013, 3 states and the stealth TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/13 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

March 2012: Despite all expectations, Myself, Silversand and Silverdunes have been able to gain a slight sun-tan over a lunchtime beer soaking up the unseasonable 26c at Bromont near Montreal. After enviously flicking through a copy of Overland Journal magazine, talk turns to Overland Expo 2012. A few of the RV.net clan are thinking of attending. I thumb through my diary on the Blackberry. Could I finally make use of all the British Airways miles I’ve accumulated to get a flight over to Phoenix? However I look at it it isn’t going to work without flying directly from South Africa complete with company laptop, suit, etc. So much for that great idea.

June 2012: We are with Joerg68 and Flaxi at the big German offroad and adventure travel show with our truck camper. Hmmm, what about the same sort of thing, but in sunny AZ? Plus Sally has now quit the demon tobacco and won’t be chewing her finger nails off during the necessary long haul flight. Maybe we could make a joint vacation out of a trip to Expo? Maybe we could rent a truck camper too? The seed is truly sown.

Oh to get into the boondocks like Whazoo, Jefe and DJ.

Long hours googling shows all the rental companies ideas of an RV is 28ft long and about as manoeuvrable offroad as a small apartment. Rental truck campers are about as common as Dodos. An Australian company comes to the rescue and we are able to hire a 19ft RV that I am assured is actually a truck camper with a cloaking device, not a class B.

The next question is – who else would like to come to Expo? I mention the idea to Roseann, the organiser of Expo. She is keen to have a load of us attend (she even took the time to watch our Sahara trip report video from end to end and was able to identify what I thought was some anonymous Arab music I had used as a soundtrack). Further, she is happy to allocate us a private area in the camping field.

At this point bka0721 volunteered to help on the ground. He had been talking to others about attending Expo, so this fitted in nicely. Behind the scenes he put in a lot of effort working out camping arrangements, even volunteering to assist Expo as a sort of camp host. So many thanks to Bryan for all his help.

Thursday - Where's my window?

Before we know it, it is May 2013 and the time for the big trip has arrived.

I treat Sally to lunch in the British Airways First Class lounge. We are in coach, but benefits of all the $$$ I spend with BA means no sitting on hard plastic seats or queuing.

[image]

It also means I can book the exact seats I want nearly a year in advance – this comes back to haunt me as it turns out I’ve managed to book one of only two seats on a 777 with no window – doh!

Stay tuned...

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/13 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friday - That's not a truck camper!

The flight is good after all and Sally is impressed when the bursar comes back to cattle-class to find us and say hello (they check the manifest for high-status passengers). After watching 3 films and half a documentary we are headed for a hotel in Aurora, Denver.

The hotel is only 2 miles from the RV rental company, so we decide to walk in the morning, then drive back to the hotel with the camper to collect our baggage and check out.

The rental staff at Apollo were great, though I suspect I am a pretty easy customer – most people renting these vans probably don’t have an American RV at home already, so in my case I just needed to confirm the exact operation of a few things.

The van is an E series (sorry, I mean it was a TC cloaked as an E-series van) with the 5.4 Triton gasoline engine. Initially, driving slowly around Aurora the v8 seemed ideal – quiet and smooth. I soon learned later when I needed to push this van up through the Rockies, or accelerate into fast traffic, that the right-hand peddle generated more noise than movement. Having come from a turbo diesel truck this gasser felt painfully slow, but I soon learned you had to drive it like an old lady – just letting it build up speed slowly.

After some grocery shopping at Wal-mart in Aurora we headed south west onto 285.

[image]

There was still a fair amount of snow at South Park, including some light snow flurries still going on.

[image]

Hoppe (Rehoppe) had very kindly invited Sally and I to camp at his summer house in the Arkansas valley. What a great location, and great company too - wonderful to have a friendly face when you arrive - many thanks to Hoppe for his hospitality (and breakfast).

[image]

We take a walk across the river to admire the scenery - I can see why Hoppe has chosen this location.

[image]

Hoppe then took us for a tour in his truck into the higher parts of the mountain range.

[image]

[image]

Hoppe also gave us a very useful lesson on the different types of camping on offer at BLM land, taking us around a few sites and showing us how to tell a reserved site from a free one – very useful. This also confirmed to us that this was exactly the type of location we wanted to camp in rather than commercial campgrounds. On our return we ran into a series of Hoppe’s friends and spent about an hour chatting as the sun went down – really nice people.

The evening was rounded off with a meal at the local(ish) restaurant to celebrate Hoppe’s birthday the following day.

Also waiting for us at Hoppe’s ‘Dog House’ was a package mailed from bka0721 containing brochures, maps and other useful stuff from his journey through New Mexico and Arizona. He had kindly collected stuff as he went and mailed it to us care of Hoppe. Many thanks again for that.

We re-arrange the rear couch to form a bed - this gets old quickly and we long for our TC's over-cab bed which we can leave permanently set-up, and of course which I can sneak up to for a bit of a rest any time.

[image]

Stay tuned as we head south...

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/13 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saturday - Sand and Rivers

After a breakfast of bacon and eggs with Hoppe we started checking out some of the things in the camper. The 15 to 30 amp adapter the rental company promised was in the back of the van was missing – so we had no hook-up over night despite Hoppe kindly running out an extension cable ready for us.

The flush on the cassette toilet stopped producing water. Inspection showed that the filler tube was full to the brim, but the glass level tube showed no water. A flap inside the filler must have jammed; a blast of mains pressure water in a hose pushed into the filler did the trick and the tank started to fill.

A torq head screw holding the cooker lid had also come undone, but luckily Hoppe had the correct screwdriver bit for that.

Many thanks for Hoppe for his great hospitality – it was a real pleasure spending time with him.

[image]

After leaving Nathrop we dropped into another Wal-mart to pick up a 15 to 30 amp connection (about $8 – I bet the rental company charge you a lot more if you lose it), we also picked up some other bits, like a quilt since we had been very cold at night with the thin blankets provided to us.

[image]

[image]

As a result of this additional shopping trip it was lunchtime by the time we arrived at Great Sand dune national monument.

[image]

We went for a short walk, but decided not to climb the whole dune.

[image]

[image]

We stop for lunch on the way out of the park - the view over my sandwich:

[image]

During the trip I find wherever we stop for lunch the side window of the camper makes a wonderful frame around the scenery:

[image]

[image]

I decided to try out the BLM camping knowledge we had learned from Hoppe and headed for Wild Rivers Park near Questa just south of the CO/NM border. What a great spot, and all for $7.

[image]

The Rio Grande was visible below, so we had to go down there for a look.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

We used the generator for the first time to run the microwave. It worked, but was noisy, especially the exhaust which rattled against the housing.

Stay tuned as we head further south still...

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/13 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the treat... you are coving ground that i haven't... so this is a lot of fun.

sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

SpknTC

Pacific Northwest, Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/13 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing! Keep going....

Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865

Virgil_Diesel

Home of SF 49ers

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/13 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Subscribed! Anxious to see the rest of the TR and nice meeting you and Sally at The Expo.

-VM

2006 Chevy Silverado HD2500/DA/CC/SB/Pullrite Superglide 16k
2009 Jayco Superlite 31.5FBHS
2006 Lance Lite 845
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Rubicon 0337/1000
2013 18' Carson Flat bed 10k gvw trailer 16" 8 lug wheels

USAFBILL

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/13 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/13 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

True Overlanders! Nice photos too.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

MacHof

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/13 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great stuff - thanks for posting. Look forward to the rest ouf your trip report.

And next time you come visit, we'd be happy to host you. We live in Denver, CO, and Silverthorne, CO.

Cheers,

Henrik

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/13 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics, Steve. It was great meeting you at the Expo.

2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip report: Expo 2013, 3 states and the stealth TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.