|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dumping holding tanks at home

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
fredbon

Pacific Northwest or SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/02 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lisa, we reside in a mobile home community, so access to the sewer system was easier. I went under the unit and extended the sewer system out the side, close to the crawl space access. I use the Sewer Solution unit to move waste about 45 feet and up a 10” incline. Works great for me. So Cal dumpsites can be hard to find. The key is gaining access to the sewer system.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Ray,IN

IN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/02 02:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My approach is different. I contacted the city sewer plant and inquired about dumping. They allow me to dump free there by stopping alongside a drying bed and dumping into it. I use a bacteria type powder in my holding tank, it works fine and is compatible with all sewer systems, plus it cleans the interior of my tanks of everything including TP (wood byproduct=biodegradable)and keeps the sensors clean.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/02 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see you're in Davis. I'm in the Modesto area. If you have a sewer cleanout, it will likely be on the side or to the rear of your house. It will probably be a 4" or 6" pipe near the foundation with a cap on it. You may also have one in the front of your house. The one in the front will enter the sewer line between the street and your house. The one in the back or on the side will be at the end of the sewer lines in your home. You can use either to dump your tank, as long as you can get to them. I think most homes in California built within the last 30 or so years should have the cleanouts.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

jl

Elizaville,NY USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/02 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you might try your water treatment plant to dump

joe

JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/02 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish I had more info for you, but perhaps this will 'jog' some minds. I remember hearing of some people making 'mini' septic systems at home, using 55 gallon drums, pvc pipes, and whatever else would be needed. One guy I know who did this has since moved out of state. Anyway, see if you can find out about this, maybe others have heard of it too, or better yet, maybe someone has the plans for this. Supposedly it is totally legal and environmentally friendly, so long as it is treated just like a 'real' septic system. Someday, when I get where I really want to be, I will look into this as I would like to have my own dump at home too. Wouldn't that be great? [emoticon]

2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

CampingNuts

Holliston, Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/02 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think such a set up is 'totally legal' at all. We had a septic system in NJ, then a town sewer in NJ, and now a huge septic system in MA and I know in every house that would not have been legal at all because of ground water contamination.
Here the laws are refered to as 'Title V' and in NJ it's the officers that patrol the state lands that can issue a huge fine even for backwashing a pool filter with your chlorinated water on to the ground if you're within miles of state land. And that's just one of many agencies that can get a little upset about water concerns.
The water that runs naturally under the ground is called aquifers and takes anything 'dumped' near it on in to our drinking water, especially if you have wells.
Knowing the planning it took and the guide lines that had to be met to put in an entire new $38k septic system at my house I can be 99% sure that your mini septic system would not be acceptable anywhere inside of a populated area, even if you had several acres to yourself.

Having septic here we can dump, without a permit, in to it but have not installed a permanent line for the trailer.

Also.. on a side note.. if your septic system is the proper size and functioning correctly it should never need to be 'treated'.

The original post does not say whether they definitely have a septic system or city sewer system, it only asks where a sewer clean out is, and this information could effect others who wish to dump at home, so I think Leede is a little out of line in asking Mike to move on.
IMHO

*This Message was edited on 26-Jan-02 10:55 PM by CampingNuts*

It's not just life, it's an adventure..... Live it!
2006 Flagstaff 831QBSS, quad bunks & slide out
2003 Chevy Express Extd Psgr Van, 6.0L V8 3.73
1990 Subaru Legacy
1995 Saturn SL2, kids' car
1987 Porsche 944 our toy
2001 Trail-Lite 8280 (gone)

leede

colo.usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/02 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to get into a big debate about this posting from Lisa,she DId ask about Cleanouts and locations.I didn`t see anything about septic tanks.I apologize to Mike for making him "move on" as you stated.NUF said!

CampingNuts

Holliston, Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/02 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if you have ever had any experience with a septic system, but they too can have clean outs, and should in case of failure and/or back ups.
My septic system has 2 D boxes, one 1,500 gallon tank, baffles and pipes leading to a second 500 gallon tank where there sits a pump to a 72'X 24' leach field. There are at least 4 points on my system that are 'clean outs' and in one spot there is an actual manhole cover.

So now I think it is 'NUF said'

leede

colo.usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/02 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey,those pics of your rig were great!Nice to see who you are talking too about sewer lines!Shame I don`t know how to post pics of my rig.

Happy Camping!

CampingNuts

Holliston, Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/02 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leede, If you can get your pictures scanned and in to your computer you can get them online.
It's a piece of cake.
Would love to see your trailer.
[emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dumping holding tanks at home
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.