RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Posting Pictures in Signatures – Recommendations & How To

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Posting Pictures in Signatures – Recommendations & How To

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
MELM

GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/03 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[COLOR=#ff3300]This information has been superceded by the new software on Mar 29, 2005.[/COLOR] Below is my compilation of information in numerous threads and posts on putting pic's in sig's. The intent is for this to be a “sticky” at the top of the Technology Corner forum. Please provide comments and corrections. I’ll review and incorporate, if appropriate, your comments and then delete this intro; and, if appropriate, the replies, to eliminate confusion in the future. Let’s make this a thread that provides a good procedure for those that want to put their pic’s in their sig’s. -------------------------------------------------------------------- There have been numerous threads on this topic, and I’ve assembled information from the folks that have provided information in those threads below. [b]Part 1. Do you really want to post a picture in your signature?[/b] Many forum members have only low speed access to the internet and the forum (those who are traveling and using their cell phones for modems may have connection speeds less than 10kbs). To help with this situation, they may do several things: 1. Set their browsers to not download graphics. 2. Turn off signatures and pictures in posts in their Open Roads Forum profiles 3. Block member’s posts who have large pictures in their signatures that take too long to download or that annoy them – they will never see the picture, your signature or your post, but that is an option available to forum members. So not all members will see your picture. An alternative is to insert a link to your web page or site in your signature. It takes little time to download, and those that are interested will visit it (and forum members who provide links have websites that most find very good). [b]Part 2. Prepare the picture.[/b] If you still want to put a picture in your signature, please be considerate of the members with the slower internet access. We recommend that you prepare the picture with photo editing software. A free image editing program recommended by several forum members is IrfanView; you can download it from a number of sites - use a Google search to find one. 1. Crop the picture, if necessary. 2. Reduce the picture size, if necessary. The recommendation is for the height to not exceed about 2 inches, or about 150 pixels. The width should be proportional to the height, but not wider than the display on your screen for a forum post. 3. Reduce the file size, if necessary, to less than 10kb. That is more than adequate to produce a good small picture for people to view. 4. Make sure the format is either jpg or gif and the picture “name” ends in one of those extensions; i.e., MYRV.jpg. 5. View it at the appropriate size – if you magnify it, it won’t look so good. You can right click on pictures in other members’ signatures, select Properties, and see good information on physical and file sizes. Notice how some with very clear small pictures have file sizes under 10kb. [b]Part 3. Make your picture available to the forum servers.[/b] Each time a thread is opened that you have posted in, the forum software “links” your signature for your posts. If you change your signature, every post you have ever made where you specified that the signature is to be posted will have the new signature. Thus, the picture has to be on a website available 24/7 to anyone and everyone; in other words, the site cannot require a signon or password for viewing the picture. Where can you post it? 1. On your own website, if you have one. Many ISP’s allow you to create a web page for no additional charge. 2. On one of the free websites that allow public access. Some that are in use by members (and they do require you to “sign up” for a page) are: a. Open Roads Forum at MSN – set up and operated by forum members for forum members – [url]http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum[/url] Note – There have been problems with the MSN accounts, probably new ones created by members instead of adding into the Open Forums Account. Be careful to make the album open to the public and to get the correct link if you use MSN. The incorrect one will post a popup ad for MSN Passport and will result in your signature being removed by the forum administration. b. This site set up by Robert Adams, a forum member, for forum members [url]http://freesites.cyberosis.net/[/url]. c. PictureTrail [url]http://www.picturetrail.com[/url]. d. Any other site that allows public access – I didn’t chase down all those that members have posted. Note: HP Photo no longer supports access from unregistered users. 3. Do not forget to make the page available for public access if the site has some requirement for it. Some sites that don’t work or don’t work well: 1. Yahoo. A password is required to access any page created. (A cookie will be stored on your computer allowing you to see it, even when it is in your signature on the forum. You may be happy, and so will the people that don’t like pictures in signatures as it will not load for their viewing, only yours.) 2. Community Webshots. As of July or August 2004, they no longer allow access from other websites such as the Open Roads Forum; i.e., they will no longer show in signatures or in posts. Once you have the website and picture, upload the picture to the website. [b]Part 4. Putting the picture in your signature.[/b] 1. Go to the web page where the picture is now located. 2. Right click on the picture, then click on Properties to see the URL address. Highlight the picture’s new URL address. (One way is to triple click on the address.) Now right click and choose Copy. 3. Login to the forum and select My Profile. 4. Go the Signature block, and click on the Image button above it. 5. Highlight the http:// in the top block, then right click in the block and select Paste. The address of your picture should appear in that block. Remember that the picture address must contain either jpg or gif. 6. Click Finished, and your picture URL with the required 4UMS code should appear at the end of the block. It will resemble this [b]{img}http://myfreewebsite.com/mypage/myrv.jpg{/img}[/b] with the {} brackets replaced with [] brackets. 7. Click Preview Signature and see if you have what you want. 8. You can return to the Signature Block and cut and paste the Image statement to other places in the block. 9. Repeat 7 and 8 until you are satisfied. 10. Go to the bottom of the screen and click on Update. 11. Go to any thread where you have posted in the past, and your new signature with picture should be there. You do not have to make a new post – I repeat: any change to your signature will show in all posts you’ve made in the past where you specified that your signature be shown. 12. Note: If you move your picture's location; i.e. from one album to another, the picture's URL address will likely change and the picture will no longer show up in your forum signature. [b]Part 5. Using your signature.[/b] When you start a new topic or reply to a topic, there is a checked Append Signature box just above the Post Message button. The recommendation is that you only post with your signature one time in a thread. If you make additional replies to that thread, uncheck the Append Signature box for including your signature. I’ll emphasize the Part 1 title – Do you really want to post a picture in your signature? If you have problem and reviewing the above steps doesn’t help, start a new topic here in Technology Corner, and some of the experts will give you a hand. My thanks to all the forum members whose posts have given me the above information. Mel - Moderator, Technology Corner

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

* This post was last edited 03/29/05 12:15pm by MELM *   View edit history

profmlb

Home is where I hang my hat

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/03 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good points,

My signature picture has been edited to be both low resolution and small. I have access to T1 and Cable modem so I don’t know if it takes a long time to load on slow dial-ups. Can anybody tell me?

• On the road again
  • Never argue with a stubborn person, a bystander will not be able to tell you apart

McGoo

Wherever we stop!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/03 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Good points,

My signature picture has been edited to be both low resolution and small. I have access to T1 and Cable modem so I don’t know if it takes a long time to load on slow dial-ups. Can anybody tell me?

I live out of town and have extremely slow (26,400 most of the time) dial-up. By the time I scroll down, you are loaded. I find the same with my sig.

Ahh ( - )~( - )
McGoo (,,)
you've done it again!
http://mcgoo.weebly.com/

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

profmlb

Home is where I hang my hat

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/03 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks McGoo, you’ve done it again!

jharrelson

Carson City, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/03 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't use a cell phone for my computer operations. And with my "land-line", I have 56k modem on the computer..

Every photo that is on every forum I visit is "POOF" instantly there. I have never had to wait even an extra second for any photo to load.

But once again I use a land line and not a cell phone..

The bottom line for me ?? ...

I like the photos but .... DO NOT ... like all the cartoons and flashing, moving or otherwise distracting things that some folks have on their posts..

BUT, that is my problem and I must either live with it or don't subscribe to the forum.

everybody is different and this is me,

John

John Harrelson
Carson City, Nevada
fulltime since 1977
93 Ford 350 4wd Diesel
95 Prowler 30.5 ft 5th wheel w/slide

TWO CENTS WORTH
The story goes that a man died and was approached by the Devil who told him that he could buy his soul back for a dollar. The man searched his pockets and could only come up with 98 cent. While begging the Devil to forget the two cent he was short, an Angel happened by and hearing the Devil laughing, asked the man, "Would you mind if I put in my two cents ?" The Devil got so mad that he exploded in a puff of smoke and the man's soul was saved.
The moral: Sometimes putting in your two cents worth makes a difference.
JOHN "the cook" 1997

McGoo

Wherever we stop!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/03 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Quote:

Good points,

I live out of town and have extremely slow (26,400 most of the time) dial-up. By the time I scroll down, you are loaded. I find the same with my sig.

Yeah, and I killed my New Years Rabbit. I guess some sacrafices are worth it for the good of all..........

McGoo

Wherever we stop!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/03 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I don't use a cell phone for my computer operations. And with my "land-line", I have 56k modem on the computer..

Every photo that is on every forum I visit is "POOF" instantly there. I have never had to wait even an extra second for any photo to load.

But once again I use a land line and not a cell phone..

The bottom line for me ?? ...

I like the photos but .... DO NOT ... like all the cartoons and flashing, moving or otherwise distracting things that some folks have on their posts..

BUT, that is my problem and I must either live with it or don't subscribe to the forum.

everybody is different and this is me,

John
It's just the cold weather making you grouchy John.[emoticon][image]

jharrelson

Carson City, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/03 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HAHAHA no-no McGoo,, you mis-understand my post... I FULLY SUPPORT EVERYONES RIGHT to have their signatures the way they want..

It's just that, TO ME, the moving and flashing things distract my "eye" (as in singular) and I have trouble concentrating on the words. I am blind in my right eye and that's the reason I have problems with the cartoons and flashing pictures.. It's a peripheral vision thing..

I'm sure everyone has experienced the "out of the corner of my eye" feeling that makes you look away from what your are trying to concentrate on so as to look at the thing that caught your eye.

It's a real bummer, I can tell you...

John

McGoo

Wherever we stop!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/03 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

HAHAHA no-no McGoo,, you mis-understand my post... I FULLY SUPPORT EVERYONES RIGHT to have their signatures the way they want..

It's just that, TO ME, the moving and flashing things distract my "eye" (as in singular) and I have trouble concentrating on the words. I am blind in my right eye and that's the reason I have problems with the cartoons and flashing pictures.. It's a peripheral vision thing..

I'm sure everyone has experienced the "out of the corner of my eye" feeling that makes you look away from what your are trying to concentrate on so as to look at the thing that caught your eye.

It's a real bummer, I can tell you...

John
I was just giving you a hard time, I'm soon going to be your neighbor. If I can ever sell this place....already bought over by you.

McGoo

Wherever we stop!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/03 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Bump
Don't understand?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Posting Pictures in Signatures – Recommendations & How To
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS