|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Overnighting at Flying J & Others

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
erupert

Churchville, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/04 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As ususal, here's comes 300 messages about overnighting in Wal-Mart and other places. Digs on those who do a "cheap" and sorts of other nonsense.

If you want to/ need to open the slides (I do, I have 3 kids and we need the slideout to open the sofabed).

Quick rehash for you grumps - I use the WalMart for overnight because I am NOT retired, I have to maximize my drive time / minimize my park time, I don't want to find a CG in the dark (it's usually after midnight), disturb those who are sleeping, try to find a spot, not hit a tree, etc. I will be gone before 8am anyway and don't need the electric, water, showers, etc. AND NO, I AM NOT GOING TO PAY $20-$30 FOR SOMETHING I DON'T NEED JUST BECAUSE "I SHOULD BE ABLE TO AFFORD IT".

That said - if you need to run out the slides, don't use Flying J because the lots are tight and many are trying to use them. Ditto on the truckstops, they are usually packed with truckers, they need to use these lots, we don't. However, I have used the truckstop and I HAVE extended my slide, I just make sure that I am fully within a single parking lane. If not, I wouldn't do it. But, I pre-plan my trips and mark out several Wal-Marts in 50-100 mile increments in the general time that I will need to stop. That way I can choose to keep going "another 100" or stop early if need be. I use their lots pretty much 100% because they are not crowded and we always find something that we need to get in the AM from the Wal-Mart before we shove off.

'95 "Free" Fleetwood Rio.

texatDurango

Show Low, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/04 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

erupert

Funny, no one mentioned Wal Mart yet, so I guess you will be the one guilty for turning chinook9's SIMPLE question thread into a Cheap VS NON-Cheap Wal Mart parking war.

Re-read Brian's post, where do you see him asking about your overnight preferences and how you plan your trips or what you can afford? He SIMPLY asked what the rules were at the truck stops. I think it's a fair question, undeserving of the way this thread is turning!

patnchris

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/04 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think there are a lot of written rules, about this subject. The answer lies in logic and thoughtfulness....something there isn't a lot of, these days...Everything is ME, ME,ME....and screw the guy who comes after me...Parking overnight at truck stops, etc. is a courtesy, extended to you, not a right...Truckers are out there, pounding the roads daily, to earn a living....they are not on vacation. You are stopped at a TRUCKSTOP!!!..not an RVSTOP...You are in their house, remember it, and give the same courtesy you would, when visiting another house. Be clean, quiet, neat, and thoughtful, and the hand will continue to be extended....Being slob, and arguing for your "RIGHTS", will gaurentee that the RV'ers that come after you, will not be welcome....This pertains to truckstops, rest areas, department stores, community parking lots, or any other place that is not designated as a campground.....Pat

Patrick and Christine
Trevor the cocker spaniel
2007 Ford F150 4X4 Max tow package
Flagstaff 8526 RLWS Classic Ultralight.

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/04 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

texatDurango. The propane heaters that sit on a bottle are dangerous in a closed space.

This fall, less than a mile from my house, they found a man dead in his garage. They blamed it on that style propane heater. He was working on a vehicle and the garage was closed so there was not enough fresh air. Carbon monoxide was blamed. His wife was a paramedic so you would think they would have been aware of the hazard.

texatDurango

Show Low, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/04 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CM, Thanks for the comments, I would have never thought them unsafe and have used them in the past. Of course I leave a window cracked for ventilation. I wonder how many folks use these and the similar types sold at Camping World without realizing their hazards?

patnchris

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/04 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition to my previous post, I would like to add...I know a lot of people will say, that the area is noisey, smelly, and dirty looking, and with all this around me, WHY do I need to be clean, neat, and thoughtful....Remember YOU ARE IN THEIR HOUSE!!!....If you were to visit a casual friends house, and for whatever reason, that friend became intoxicated, and obnoxious...does that mean that it is ok for you to do the same thing....RV'ers need to be on their BEST BEHAVIOR, where ever they go. This will gaurentee that the welcome mat will be out, in more and more places. We need to be better neighbors and show that we are responsible...Something that I fear is lacking in many....proof of this is in the fact that many of the dump stations along the interstate hwy system have been closed. The cost of maintaining them and cleaning up after people who, "just drove off" was just too high. As RV'ers. we need to set a good example, and therefore, people will want us to come around, instead of making rules to keep us out.....enough of this soapbox and sorry if I've rambled, or offended anyone.....Pat

MIKECC

Pensacola Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/04 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would be a judgement call, if you have room, roll it out. Just hope CARRORTMAN is lurking close by.

2000 F-350 Dually CC PSD 4.10 rearend, Hypertech stage 3 chip, 4" exhaust.
2004 35ft Dutchman FW, Double slide, 50amp, 2 a/c's, 2 bunks with back desk area
13 year old girl, 7 year old boy, full timing in two years and 11 months when I retire!! (military)

leaddog

All over the USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/04 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chinook9,

It has been my experience that the FlyingJ RV parking is quite small and fills up very quickly. Just recently I stopped at the FlyingJ in Carmel Church, VA ( I-95 exit 104 ) around 3pm and the RV spaces were all taken. In addition, the spaces at the rear for smaller vehicles were taken with RVs also.

Nobody had their slides out.

I think if you were to park in the truck parking area at a crowded FlyingJ with your slide out you would run a very very high risk of a trucker backing into the space next to you and taking your slide off. It may be accidental or on purpose, but it would surely ruin your nights sleep.

We return from Florida on I-95 every year and our good neighbors to the North are returning at the same time usually. They band together and take two parking spaces so the ones that come in later can occupy a space. They say they don't speak English so they can't understand you when you try to get into the space. My wife, who speaks French, explains to them what we ARE going to do in order to get a parking space. They then & only then move their chairs, grills, awnings that are out and we then park the RV.

We must keep in mind that this is a courtesy that FLyingJ offers to ALL their customers and that if the few selfish continue to ruin it for everyone, then we will all suffer. For example, the dump station at the Carmel Church FlyingJ has closed down due to people dumping non-RV waste into the system.

* This post was edited 02/11/04 10:19pm by leaddog *

2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

Heinz and Betty

Lake Wister, Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/04 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patnchris,
Well said, I agree.
Thank You
Heinz

Heinz and Betty & two goofey SHIH TZU's

2006 Chev.2500HD 6.0 Vortec 4X4 Crew Cab.
2004 Sandpiper 27ft.
Retired US Army 1958-1978
Retired OK. State Parks 1980-2000
Retired & RVing 2000 till?

Gooselover

NE OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/04 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We would NEVER think of opening our slide unless we are in a campground or boondocking somewhere.

To me, this is taking advantage of kindness of Flying J and/or Walmart, and like an earlier post said, it is simply bad manners....

Charlie & Jeri
2013 Keystone Cougar 327RES
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 EC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Overnighting at Flying J & Others
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.