RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 825  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
whiteknight001

at the end of the debris trail, center of crater

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/18 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Merry Christmas everyone! And best wishes for 2019! May God bless...

whiteknight001

1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."

Leeann

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/18 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Merry Christmas to all!

'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Ballenxj

Formerly Southern Nevada, Idaho now

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/18 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes indeed, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!

Downsizing ">

Griff in Fairbanks

AK

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/18 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grandma Griff and I wish all of you a Merry Christmas (and Happy New Year) as well.

1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Ballenxj

Formerly Southern Nevada, Idaho now

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/18 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Griff in Fairbanks wrote:

Grandma Griff and I wish all of you a Merry Christmas (and Happy New Year) as well.

Absolutely! Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to all. [emoticon]

Capt Steve

central CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RV
I have a '78 Dodge Harvest, 25.5', 440. It only has 25,000 miles on it. Just passed our California Smog Test with excellent numbers so I'm pleased the old Thermoquad is still functioning ok. I'm enjoying fixing a few little problems on it. Got it to stop vaporlocking by wrapping and shielding the fuel line near the exhaust. Next project is replacing the clearance lights with LED units. Can someone tell me where the fuse box is usually located?

* This post was last edited 02/03/19 10:22pm by Capt Steve *   View edit history

My rig's a little old but that don't mean she's slow.

Griff in Fairbanks

AK

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 12:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Capt Steve wrote:

My RV
I have a '78 Dodge Harvest, 25.5', 440. It only has 25,000 miles on it. Just passed our California Smog Test with excellent numbers so I'm pleased the old Thermoquad is still functioning ok. I'm enjoying fixing a few little problems on it. Got it to stop vaporlocking by wrapping and shielding the fuel line near the exhaust. Next project is replacing the clearance lights with LED units. Can someone tell me where the fuse box is usually located?

The vehicle fuse box should be located in the same place as 1978 B100/200/300 vans, sometimes called Tradesman or Sportsman vans. IIRC, it was located under the dash on the left close to the driver's door on my '77 B200 van. There's probably a second set of 12 VDC fuses for the house/coach interior, usually near or on the power converter.

Most have a third set of fuses or circuit breakers for 120 VAC shore power. These will usually look like a household fuse panel and are typically located inside the house/coach, very near where the shore power cord enters the motorhome. (Usually on the left -- driver's -- side amidship or towards the rear.)

An aside -- if your engine starts using oil, it's probably due to disintegrating valve stem seals. This is common on older Dodge engines due to both wear and age. These can be replace without removing the heads ... if the mechanic knows what they're doing and has the right tools.

If your engine does start using oil (or blowing blue exhaust), I strongly recommend replacing valve stem seals before considering a more expensive valve job.

* This post was edited 02/04/19 12:43am by Griff in Fairbanks *

Griff in Fairbanks

AK

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 12:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@Capt Steve -- For the LED clearance lights, I recommend adding a second ground/negative wire, in addition to the power/positive wire. Most motor vehicle LED lights are manufactured with only a single +12VDC wire, on the assumption vehicle will have/use a -12VDC body/chassis ground. The aluminum skin (and any metal framing) on motorhomes is usually not sufficient for reliable operation of exterior lights.

TreeSeeker

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, you have to seal these lights very well.

They appear to be designed to leak. I can only guess that they are designed to fit on a flat vertical surface that also has the wire hole in the vehicle sealed.

There are two water vents in the backplate, one in the top and another in the bottom. Old RVs like ours have corrugated metal panels so the backplate cannot sit tight against the panel thus leaving large gaps. Also, the wires go through a 1 inch hole through the wall. So you need to caulk completely around the installed light and make sure to cover the vents.

I would only use LED lights as the lens/light itself is usually sealed. The old style lights also have holes in the front of the backplate for the wires and the lens doesn't seal well either. These ones leak like crazy.

Capt Steve

central CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you. My valve seals seem to be good. The exhaust looks fine and my HC measured 52, allowable is 350.

Griff in Fairbanks wrote:

Capt Steve wrote:

My RV

The vehicle fuse box should be located in the same place as 1978 B100/200/300 vans, sometimes called Tradesman or Sportsman vans. IIRC, it was located under the dash on the left close to the driver's door on my '77 B200 van. There's probably a second set of 12 VDC fuses for the house/coach interior, usually near or on the power converter.

Most have a third set of fuses or circuit breakers for 120 VAC shore power. These will usually look like a household fuse panel and are typically located inside the house/coach, very near where the shore power cord enters the motorhome. (Usually on the left -- driver's -- side amidship or towards the rear.)

An aside -- if your engine starts using oil, it's probably due to disintegrating valve stem seals. This is common on older Dodge engines due to both wear and age. These can be replace without removing the heads ... if the mechanic knows what they're doing and has the right tools.

If your engine does start using oil (or blowing blue exhaust), I strongly recommend replacing valve stem seals before considering a more expensive valve job.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 825  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS