RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Weight Distribution (WD) Hitch --- How it Works

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Weight Distribution (WD) Hitch --- How it Works

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
thomas malenich

sound beach, new york 11789

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/04 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug,
I agree with Barney and most of what Ron is saying. Ron is the engineer - I am just trying to keep him honest [emoticon]. I am nitpicking with Ron and our disagreement is mostly in terminology, but his point is that you should not be concerned that a use of a WD system will make a light tongue weight more of a problem and I agree too. You should keep the WD system, add another friction sway control and put some more weight in the front of your TT. I too asked how your last trip went.

Thomas and Laura Malenich
1988 Suburban 1500, 4WD
Scotty 16 1/2' , smaller and loving it
2 kids and 3 dogs

#20 Home Depot

Mississippi/China

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/04 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug,
As BarneyS stated (and it often is overlooked) The weight carrying capacity of the hitch is normally less than the tongue weight of a TT. The WD system allows this capacity to increase as it changes how the load is applied to the hitch itself. Basically it lifts up on the rear of the receiver and presses down on the front therefore reducing the leavage on the hitch and allowing it to carry more weight. That said, if your complete hitch including the ball coupler is rated above the loaded tongue weight of your TT and your TV sits level and steers fine there is no need for WD. This must be checked very carefully first. But why settle for this since you have WD and if hitch height and TT loading is right the WD will make everything better.

In your case I suspect the following:
Your hitch height is too high causing your TT to sit level or "front high" without the WD. (Did you leave your ball coupler set at the same height as it was with your previous TV and now it is alot higher with your new TV?) This would explain why you have sway with the WD and not without as the WD make a TT that is " front high" even more so thus sway would be more likely.
If my assumtions are correct, I suggest you lower your hitch height until the TT is "front low" and then use the WD tension just enough to bring everything level. (The WD will only increase the strength of your hitch and you have it so why not use it)

I say all this because I had the same situation once. I pulled someone elses TT and the hitch was set to the heigth for their TV. Mine TV has much higher or the TT would sit also level without WD but sit "front high" without. The TT would sway some with the WD and not at all without all becasue the hitch heigth was too high to begin with.

#20 Home Depot
04 GMC 2500HD SWB EC D/A SLT 4x4,Michelin LTX AT2
Timbrens, Bilsteins , color backup cam, Doran tire pressure monitor Reese Tow Beast, Torklift tiedowns w/ fastguns
Lance 8SCS Polar Cub AC Honda EU2000">
2007 Chaparral 256 SSx
2005 Jeep Wrangler

thomas malenich

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/04 05:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug,
As BarneyS stated (and it often is overlooked) The weight carrying capacity of the hitch is normally less than the tongue weight of a TT. The WD system allows this capacity to increase as it changes how the load is applied to the hitch itself.
#20 Home Depot,
You have to admit this sure seems like a contradiction to your original point and Ron's as well. I thought your point was that tongue weight and weight on the hitch itself remains the same (right there where it was before the WD system was engaged). Now you are saying that the weight carrying capacity of the hitch is normally less than the tongue weight of a TT. If you cannot distribute tongue weight as you claim, then is'nt all that original tongue weight still right there on the hitch??? You can't have it both ways.

From Barney: " Even at empty weight, your tongue weight will probably be over the rating of your hitch if you do no use the WD capability." Is not Barney implying that after engagement of the WD system, the load on the hitch is less? If it is not less than you are still over the rating on the hitch.

* This post was edited 08/31/04 05:25am by thomas malenich *

#20 Home Depot

Mississippi/China

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/04 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

#20 Home Depot,
You have to admit this sure seems like a contradiction to your original point and Ron's as well. I thought your point was that tongue weight and weight on the hitch itself remains the same (right there where it was before the WD system was engaged). Now you are saying that the weight carrying capacity of the hitch is normally less than the tongue weight of a TT. If you cannot distribute tongue weight as you claim, then is'nt all that original tongue weight still right there on the hitch??? You can't have it both ways.

No, no contradiction at all. The orginal tongue weight on the BALL itself goes nowhere.The receiver hitch loading characteristics change because the front end of the WD bars are just below the ball and when tensioned basically invert loads applied on the receiver. The receiver simply can handle a higher tongue weight with the WD because of how the WD presents the load to the receiver. All downforce is moved the the front of the receiver where it is structurally stronger instead of the rear which were it is weaker structurally. We are due to the changes in forces caused by the WD the orginal axle loadings are changed but their sum is still the same just as the tongue weight is still the same. The WD bars DO change where the tongue weight hits the ground but they cannot MOVE the original weight off the ball!

Quote:

From Barney: " Even at empty weight, your tongue weight will probably be over the rating of your hitch if you do no use the WD capability." Is not Barney implying that after engagement of the WD system, the load on the hitch is less? If it is not less than you are still over the rating on the hitch.

No he is not implying this. That blue ribbon by Ron's name got put there by Barney because of this and other posts! Correct me if you are implying this please Barney. He is simply stating what is stamped on the receiver. ei "Tongue weight carrying capacity 1000#. Capacity with WD 1500#" or a simular rating by the manufacture. These ratings increase only because of the way the load is APPLIED on the receiver not because the tongue weight has MOVED.

* This post was edited 08/31/04 06:52am by #20 Home Depot *

thomas malenich

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/04 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron and/or 20Home Depot,

Neither of you commented on the following quotes:

Caymann, Hiya.

Yes, the WD system distributes tongue weight over both the front and rear axle (that is the purpose of it). That is why, when you set up your wd system, you measure a front and rear fender well, down to the ground, and then adjust the wd system so the settling, after being hooked up, of both front and rear of the vehicle is as close to the same as possible. As far as the percentage of the tongue weight that is transferred, I don't know, but checking axle weights on a scale before and after hooking up will tell you."

"WD is just that. Weight Distribution of the TT's tongue weight. From dead weight on the TV's tail (rear axle) and distributed to the TV's front axle. The WD "bars" do this. It's like putting a 6 foot steel bar into the receiver and lifting the end while standing on the TT's tongue. Lifts the TV's tail and moves weight to the TV's front. TT's tongue gets whatever your feet transfers, then redistributes it on both TT & TV hitch system."

Please comment on these quotes. Are they misleading?? If they are misleading then I would like to submit that changes be made in the way that experienced members discuss tongue weight. I have learned a great deal from this forum as there are very intelligent people out there who know much when it comes to engineering and weight distribution. Unfortunately I have to say that my understanding has been seriously misled as I have read time and time again that tongue weight is distributed or transferred. If these quotes are incorrect and/or misleading then we need to face that and change the way we talk about tongue weight. We should not say that "the WD system distributes tongue weight."

Part of quote from above:
"Yes, the WD system distributes tongue weight over both the front and rear axle (that is the purpose of it). "

I say this is misleading if that is not what happens. You might say that it is not misleading to you or that I am taking something out of context. However, I bet alot of people are reading this the way I have been for more than a year now. Please be honest with yourself and read these quotes as if you had little or no prior knowledge of how a WD system works.

Thanks again for your post - I appreciate it.

#20 Home Depot

Mississippi/China

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/04 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#%@#*#@*$*@#*# lol.
Thomas,
I had just spent about 2 hours thinking and typing a response to your above post and I lost my internet connection when I went to post it. (I'm actually on an oil rig offshore in China by the way) So I can't bear to go through it all again and will just say the closing comments.

We all are trying to say the same things and just using different terms. Thomas you ans I both are have contradicted ourselves several times, although not intented because we were learning as this thread progressed. Ron is the only one that has remained consistant throughout so I propose this: Let Ron write HIS definition of "Weight Distributing Hitch" and then we can all agree to it and then Barney can post it at the top of the towing forum and lock it there!

thomas malenich

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/04 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all are trying to say the same things and just using different terms. Thomas you ans I both are have contradicted ourselves several times, although not intented because we were learning as this thread progressed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy ain't that the truth - I sure have learned alot> I like your idea.
Barney can this be done - "Let Ron write HIS definition of "Weight Distributing Hitch" and then we can all agree to it and then Barney can post it at the top of the towing forum and lock it there! " ???
Thanks everyone!

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/04 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, am I glad you guys are finally agreeing on something! [emoticon]
Although the moderators cannot make a post "sticky" we do suggest to Admin if one is needed. I agree that a definition of "Weight Distributing Hitch" that all can agree to would be great but not sure if that is possible given the discussion going on here. Kinda like trying to agree on the definition of "Sway" or "Tongue Weight" [emoticon] Don't get me wrong, this has been a GREAT discussion and I have learned a lot as I'm sure many others have. I am however getting a little frustrated at the repeating of the same thing over and over with just different words. In fact, I had thought about locking the thread down as it seemed to have just about been "discussed out". I am very happy that all of you kept your discussion very civil and under control. That is sometimes hard to do in these forums.[emoticon] Thank you! Lets keep it open for the time being and see where we go. Let the Games (oops- wrong quote) err- "Discussion" continue! If, and when, you come to an agreement, I will petition Admin to make it sticky.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

ffrnemtp

Brooksville, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/04 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS,

I'll try to answer a couple of things here. No, I haven't been able to weigh anything yet because I may have to try to get the camper out of the path of ANOTHER hurricane. Towing with the WD bars on last weekend wasn't good--lots of sway. Instead of pulling the WD bars off I loosened them a bit and the sway improved slightly. Yes, a stock '04 F-250 sits a little higher in the back than in the front. We did front load the camper. Now I have a new problem--two Carlisle tires blew out on the trip--but that's another post. I'm going to check when I get home today, but I think my receiver is rated for 1,000 lbs without weight distribution, and I doubt my tongue weight is that much. The hitch was adjusted when it was moved from the F-150 to the 3/4 ton. I'm really starting to wonder if this trailer is ever going to tow worth a crap. It's pretty disheartening to struggle with sway and now repeated tire failures to no avail. That's the third Carlisle ST205 75R15 tire failure in less than 1,000 miles.

Doug & Lorri
2004 F-250 XLT 6.0L PSD SC SB FX4 DiabloSport Predator
2004 30' Thor Chateau TT with Reese HP Dual Cam
2004 Seadoos GTX 4-TEC Supercharged & GTI LE RFI

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/04 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

--- If these quotes are incorrect and/or misleading then we need to face that and change the way we talk about tongue weight. We should not say that "the WD system distributes tongue weight."

Thomas,

Finally, we agree 100% on something. This is exactly why I proposed the definitions in Tongue Weight and Hitch Load - What are they and how are they different? and referred you to them in my very first response to you.

Quote:

Part of quote from above:
"Yes, the WD system distributes tongue weight over both the front and rear axle (that is the purpose of it). "

I say this is misleading if that is not what happens. ---

I think this is an excellent example of how lack of definition leads to misinterpretation.

First of all, my dictionary's definition of "mislead" implies an intention to deceive. Given that definition, I do not think the statment is misleading, but I do think it is subject to misinterpretation. A reader easily could interpret this as meaning that a WD hitch decreases tongue weight. The same reader could believe that decreasing tongue weight can contribute to sway and, therefore, choose not to use a WD hitch.

Secondly, if I knew nothing about how a WD hitch operates, the statement would lead me to believe that weight is removed from the tongue and added BOTH to the front axle AND to the rear axle. We know this is not the case.

Thirdly, there is no mention of the fact that the WD hitch causes the load on the TT's axles to increase. This is fundamental to understanding how the WD hitch works.

So, please consider the following two statements:

1) The WD system distributes tongue weight over both the front and rear axle (that is the purpose of it), and

2) The WD system removes load from the TV's rear axle and distributes it to the TV's front axle and to the TT's axles.

Which of these do you think is the better definition (meaning less subject to misinterpretation) of the purpose of a WD hitch?

Ron

On Edit: I started composing this over an hour ago, but the ORF server was not responding properly. I did not realize that three posts had been received in the mean time.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Weight Distribution (WD) Hitch --- How it Works
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.