RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Overweight and in an accident......

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Overweight and in an accident......

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Duffer

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/05 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've all discussed this....
this guy was towing a trailer, but its essentially the same scenario we've batted around......

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=24262

Don't laugh---Its Paid For!!

DeutscheMan

Oregon Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/05 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for a great post. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of people out there that would rather rationalize and save a buck. I'm sure you'll hear from a few.

Bill

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/05 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is another disscusion on this forum about a member who has stopped RVing because of an accident that did not have to happen.

Basically he went off the passenger side of the road, then the tires fell off the pavement a bit, he overcorrected to the left, ended up turning the camper and truck onto it's side.

I can only wonder that if he had a longbed truck, or a 1 ton truck, or a dual rear wheel truck, that the overcorrection would have been a better result.

However with the short wheelbase, shortbed, and super long camper, it was fairly unstable to begine with.

http://www.campingworld.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/13032269.cfm

I had a 1975 Ford F-350 SRW truck with single rear wheels and one rear tire came off. When I had recently replaced both rear drums, the mechanic did not tell me to tighten the lug nuts until the new studs where fully seated, so the rim and tire came off while at about 60 MPH. Fortunatly for me, I was in a construction zone, and it had just ended, I was accellerating (had been driving about 70 - 75) when the tire came off. I basically came to a stop on the right hand side of the freeway, and got out to see what happened. Someone behind me went out into the field to retrive my tire, and I waited for a tow truck, replaced the lug nut studs and went on my way. If I had been driving a un-stable truck with a overweight camper, I might have had more damage. Basically I was delayed a few hours. No hard feeling to my mechanic.

My camper was a 3,000 pound 1972 Coachman with a front wet bath. Great design! www.Wrv.com has a similar plan sold today, with a slide-out in some of the models. The truck was 5,600 punds empty with a 9,300 pound GVWR. The rear tires where crome rated at 2,100 pounds when I bought the truck, then I replaced them with 3,400 pound rated aluminum ones, and later found 9R16.5E tires rated at 3,400 pounds. the factory spare was LRE 8.75/16.5 tire (biasis design if I remember correctly). I got rid of that tire, and used others instead.

Fred.

Rvndave

Medina, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/05 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Took a few close calls and a fire for me to realize towing overloaded reduces your safety, reliability, and driving pleasure. Guess I was a slow learner. I was sure everything was ok. Well I finally found out it wasn't.

2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

Uxorious

Auburn Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/05 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its amazing how many people just accept this story as true. I'm sorry I don't believe it. It just doesn't sound right.

Duffer

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/05 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is it so hard to believe? The guy was doing something illegal and he is liable. The insurance company paid out the $300,000 limit on the policy.

Get higher limits. I bought an umbrella policy for $2,000,000 to cover just this kind of thing. Runs a couple hundred bucks a year, but if anyone gets hurt cuz of me, I should be covered and not lose my house.

DSR

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/05 11:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Its amazing how many people just accept this story as true. I'm sorry I don't believe it. It just doesn't sound right.

I've got to agree with Uxorious... someone posted the same story sometime ago... Just doesn't sound right to me either....

2500HD D/A CC 4X4
FR TT

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/05 11:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen that story for at least the last three years and NOBODY has ever put up proof that it is true.

'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

prowler2001

North Alabama, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/05 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What difference does it make if it is true or not? If it is not true, you will continue to run down the road with an overloaded combination and continue to speed and not worry about the consequences. If it is true, you will do something to change your behavior?

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD.
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 27X 5500 lbs loaded.
Wife "> and two sons.
">">

jponder

Atlanta & Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/05 06:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This story is total BS. It says that the officer cited him for being overweight yet there is no law in the USA for being overweight. How could you be "cited" for something when the law does not exist?

This is just fantasy land for the weight police just like someone posted on tow vehicles that the state of florida was writing tickets for being overweight which was a blatent lie, SINCE THERE ARE NO LAWS ABOUT BEING OVERWEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soon as the weight police can grasp that simple concept they can edit their stories to make the lie appear more beleivable by taking out, the "citing" BS.

SPACE SHUTTLE
2001 4X4 ETH/DEE Reg Cab
Ricksons 285/70R19.5
US Gear Ex Brake
*NO CRUISE CONTROL!!! *
*MANUAL THROTTLE CABLE for 21.3MPG!*
*DRW WORST NIGHTMARE MONSTER TRUCK!*
Camper:
94 Lance EU2000
11700 gw tc+t.
Soon:
Cat Heat& MO BATTERIES!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Overweight and in an accident......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS