|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Posting Help and Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Posting Help and Support

> Tips to reduce signature pictures

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/05 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've reconstructed my signature to conform to the new standard and it's not that hard to do. I will miss the link in the license plate that showed a member how to get their own as well as the link in the rv picture to the enlargement. Those I can do without. The link in the logo however is necessary and it is still there.

There are two ways to put pictures into signatures and I used both of them. The upper box in "My Preferences" is what we had before in "My Profile" and is used for the text script of URL's.
My license plate URL was to a thumbnail and adding "Height=70" to the end of it, enlarged it to the maximum allowable height.
The logo was actually 75 pixel height so adding "Height=70" to it reduced it to the same as the license plate. The link was created by entering it as a Link to the website and entering the URL of the picture as the description.

The picture was a little different as it must be within the 20kb, 500x70 pixel size before being uploaded to RV.Net. I found this very easy to do using a freebie download from www.IrfanView.com. Under Image, click on Resize/Resample and you will get this:
[image]
Under "Set new size", enter "70" at Height and the width will automatically adjust to correct proportions. Save the change to your computer, Confirm the file size is 20kb or below and upload it in your preferences!

I'm sure there are other graphic programs capable of doing this so feel free to add them.

Added in edit: For those using IrfanView and concerned with reducing the kb's, doing a second save or "save as" will get you this:
[image]
As you can see, it has a slider to increase or decrease the overall density and I just leave it in the middle as shown.

Here's an added benefit of using IrfanView that many other programs can do too - custom frames. I pasted the license plate to MS Paint, drew a wide box around it to save it, pasted it in IrfanView, cilcked on Effects and then 3-D Button and the one in my signature is the result.

* This post was last edited 04/30/05 03:10pm by RVSnowbird *   View edit history

have you checked out the new RV.net Blogs yet?

Deceased 2/28/08 RIP

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/05 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry Guy, but I think you'll agree the picture quality is terrible. Not your fault, obviously. I tried for two days to get something you could see and allow folks to get a bit of information from it, but I finally gave up.

A suggestion for the powers--- Expand the picture height and only restrict file size. I know you're trying to limit total height of the signature blocks, but this is what you're going to get, and I think it really detracts from the forum quality.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/05 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also used IrFanview and I think it came out ok. Whatcha think?

* This post was edited 03/31/05 12:16pm by robsouth *

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

tcsmith

Centennial, Colorado, and Charlottesville, VA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/05 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some other programs can help with the quality issues, but they'll cost some too. I design websites for Nonprofit orgs on the 'side' and use a low-cost photo program called Paint Shop Pro by Jasc software (owned by the big boys at Corel Corporation). Less than $100... a great price when compared to the $500-600 programs like PageMaker, PhotoShop, etc.

It's an economical "professional" photo editor and can retain a lot of the quality while keeping size/dpi way down.

Surely there are others without having to use a $600 program like PageMaker.... In any case, just a tip that there exists a reasonable program with excellent capabilities in this area.

Thanks for the tip RVSnowbird!

PS: Paint Shop Pro made the sig below. Set it to 100x500 and told the 'size optimizer' to make it no bigger than 30k. There you go!

* This post was edited 05/05/05 10:59pm by tcsmith *

Tracy & Jennifer Smith + 5 Boys (no room for a dog!)
1999 Dodge Ram Maxi-Wagon 3500 and 1999 8300 Trail-Lite TT

DavidG

Richland, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/05 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a free online tool at www.giftools.com that you can use to compress an image by reducing the redundant data bits that make up the image. Sort of like taking a picture with a 5 megapixel digital camera set at 1 megapixel. Only catch is that the image must be hosted on the web and have its own URL. Might need to play with it some to figure out if it’s better to compress an already small picture, or to compress a large picture and then compress it. I’ll see if I can play with this later and report back.

* This post was edited 03/31/05 10:52am by DavidG *

2003 Suburban K2500LT 4WD, 8.1L, 3.73
2008 Adirondack 31RK-DSL
Our blog

RVForever

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/05 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVSnowbird,
Unfortunately the new rules call for one picture 500x70 at less than 20kb.

I used the same program as you and created one picture in a panorama of three pictures resized 70px high and total equal to less than 500px.
It came out fairly decent, as far as linking from a signature photo, I may be wrong but I do not think the new rules permit it.
You can link externally from the signature text box, to your singles site. I tested that feature and it works. Look at the rvnet link in my sig.
Admin tell me there is a thirty days grace period to get the signatures into the new form.

RVForever

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/05 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Robsouth,
Your picture looks good, even the text in the pictures is readable.

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/05 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

all good feedback, thank you. I will still be working on mine a little more as I think I can clear up some of the fuzziness.
I checked out the www.giftools.com DavidG recommends but IrfanView has it beat too as after making changes, a second window opens to easily change the compression to reduce the kb's when saving it. Actually, that is what I am going to do as only the license and logo need correction.

As RVForever says, "Unfortunately the new rules call for one picture 500x70 at less than 20kb." which is very true but pictures can be put in as a urls as well, which is what I did. That is how I came up with the first two pictures including one with an embedded link. It maxed out at the allowable 255 character limit so it should be ok. As for the new rules allowing a link in a picture, I would think that as long as it does not go over the 255 limit, it will pass. I'll confirm this with Admin myself just to be sure.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/05 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I resized mine just using MS Paint which is free on most OS installs. Ain't pretty but????

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Musicman

Wenatchee, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/05 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not having any trouble with the size, but I'm not sure that my Signature Picture is going to appear in my Signature. It does not appear when I "preview" my signature. It is indicated as the default signature picture in My Preferences. How do I get it to appear in the actual signature?

On Edit: What do you know? there we are. Forget my inquiry.

Musicman
FMCA #F333309
'97 Winnebago Vectra
'01 Blazer LT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Posting Help and Support

> Tips to reduce signature pictures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Posting Help and Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.