RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Camper Loading, Marital Bliss and Why I own a Dog

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper Loading, Marital Bliss and Why I own a Dog

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Clattertruck

Centennial Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/05 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brad
Your description is a perfect listing of why I do everything by myself. It keeps us out of divorce court. We have been married for 51 years, and social sevices has not been to visit us. When we were tent camping in the 1950s, I had to get a tent that I could put up by myself.

Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.

needsomefun

Horse Creek, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/05 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for getting this day going right, that is hysterical!!

Nomad Al

Little Rock, AR

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/05 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hilarious, BradW - and for a prospective truck camper owner, sobering and a little scary!

Reads like the script for a new truck camper sit-com - sponsored by Stable-Lift!

Visit Nomad Al at the Treasure Caravan Virtual Oasis
http://www.TreasureCaravan.com/

countrykids

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/05 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very well said. It's helpful to know my wife and I are not alone in our camper loading "adventure".

You are lucky though. We have manual jacks and our dog was run over by the UPS truck this spring.

2004 Born Free class c

Wheretonext

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/05 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...not to mention all the black rubber left on your driveway! Thanks for the laugh.

Wheretonext
04 Dodge Laramie, 3500, 4x4,Diesel, SRW, LB
Firestone Riderite airbags, Rancho 9000's, Torklift tiedowns with Fast Guns. 05 SNOWBIRD 9.6, all weather pkg, A/C, Onan gen.

DoneItAll

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/05 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent post! Sounds just about the way I handle this task.

John & Harriet on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland
2008 F450 4X4 Crew Cab
2008 Lance 1191 w/220W solar

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/05 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to fire the wife after the first 4 or 5 times loading. She just makes it more complicated. Same with hooking up a trailer. I find I can do it all by myself much easier.

VerTex

Brownsville, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/05 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderfully written. We all can relate.

Now you know why I posted that it was going to be a great year, my TC went on on the first try.

Shoot for the moon! If you miss you will still be amongst the stars.

1998.5 Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4 speed auto, 4:10, DRW, EC
2002 10' Vanguard Palomino

Surferkim

Sunset Cliffs,San Diego,Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/05 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brad, that was funny as heck. It would have been even funnier but then I realized how much truth there is in it. As a rule I try to stay on the good side of the "Warden" (wife), so when it comes to loading and unloading well lets just say I would rather do it alone. That way we are all a little happier.

2005 Dodge 2500 SLT+,CTD 610,Auto,4x4,LWB,QC,Leather
00/915 Lance,AC
LCD/DVD,custom surf racks,Hellwig S/B,Rancho 9000's,Lifeline AGM,PD 9245C
2,750 custom overloads,no bags no problems
One Beautiful Wife,4 year old Son & 9 week old Son">">

Butch50

Bentonville, AR

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/05 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brad,

ROTFLMAO

At least you didn't put in there like I did on Sunday when I unloaded my camper. Got it into the position where I wanted to store it and put blocks down to distrubite the weight. Released the Fastguns and power cord and then raise the camper. All is going really well. I get the camper up high enough and so I start forward with the truck and it moves a fraction of an inch. Yep the truck is in gear. Give it a little throttle still no go. Check that the camper is indeed up high enough. Get back in the truck and release the brake again and put it into gear and try again. Still refuses to move. Then a bolt of lighting strikes me and I realize that I had not removed my big rubber wheel chock (my parking are has a small slope to it and didn't want the truck to move naturally). Get out of truck and remove the chock thinking how can you be so stupid as to not remove the chock you dumb a$$. I'm sure glad it is 8" inchs tall if it was any small I probably would have driven over it.

My wife refuses to help as she is afraid that it is going to fall over. Many years ago I had a camper that I have to admit I worried about it also. It had the old style of jacks that you used a jack handle on and it worked somewhat similar to a bumper jack. The handle was about 3 to 3 1/2' long. When you got the camper up higher I would have to put all of my weight (210# at that time) on the handle to make it lift the camper. As you are lifting it that high in the air and you are hanging on the jack handle like a monkey it has a tendency to make the camper sway around like a cork in the middle of a hurricane. At that time I had a 72 Ford 3/4 4X4. Those were the old high boy and you had to get the camper up there to get it on the truck.

Thank God for the new electric jacks.

Butch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper Loading, Marital Bliss and Why I own a Dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS