RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: Mouse damage!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Mouse damage!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kendeb

Western Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/05 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used mothballs (we put a few in some socks, tied the socks closed, and put them in several places in the PU) and were able to get rid of the smell just by airing out the PU in the driveway for about a week before we went camping. We used a plastic garbage bag to cover the vent (took off the vent, put it in the bag, reattached the vent). It might also help that our neighborhood has some stray cats in it! As far as the insulation, you might need to use special insulation because of the fridge (especially if it runs on propane) but I imagine any RV dealer can help you with what kind you need and might even sell it.

2015 Jayco 19 RD
2007 Chrysler Aspen 5.7L V8 HEMI
Ken
Debbie
Chloe (dog)

JPNee

Sonoma County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/05 01:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BE CAREFUL USING DECON IN YOUR PUP
I don't have experience using it in my PUP, but used it in a storage closet... What a disaster! As I understand it, Decon is designed to attract mice in a confined space (ie, a home) where there are only so many. They think it is a source of food, so they eat it, and then become dehidrated, and eventually die. However, when placed in a location where there could be an endless "supply" of critters, it can become a beacon to them to head for your PUP for food! Once all the Decon is gone, the mice will have found a great place for shelter, and lots of nice soft material for nesting. They will not go away once the Decon is gone! So please be careful what you choose to use. You want to deter them, not attract them! From a Newby who has fought the mousy battle in the great outdoors!

nfisherman

IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/05 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dcon doesn't attract mice, but the ones that are around will feed on it. I've heard that the poison causes dehydration which causes the mice to go outside to find water. This supposedly a good effect because the dead mice don't die inside your walls where they can smell the place up. I don't know if that's true or not.

I've used Dcon in rented storage closets too. Those places are usually loaded with mice. In a place like that, mice can eat up more than one box of Dcon. That doesn't mean that the mice are attracted by the poison.

For my popup, I'm going to do my best to prevent mice from entering, but I'm going to put a box of Dcon in there just in case. That's the strategy that I've used for my boat during winter storage for the past five years. I've only found two dead mice in the boat and I've had no damage.

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/05 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI the active ingredient in Decon is warfram, An anti coagulant. The mice bleed to death internally.
And it may not be effective as I found out in my first flat after I got married. It was an old house converted into a duplex and the mice would run up and down through the walls at night. We left out several packages of Decon and they took it like there was no tommorrow, but we still had mice. When we moved the next year we were cleaning out a closet where we had stored the boxes from Christmas presents and one had a hole chewed in it. Opened it up and there was what must have been the contents of 3 or 4 packages of Decon. The little beggers never ate it they just stored it away. LOL

As always if you can seal up the floor area in the PU, you rodent and insect proof it without having to go to any extreme measures.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

Puddin12

Charlotte, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/05 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had mice the first winter 5 years ago, in the motor home. Now we put Bounce fabric softener sheets in each drawer, closet, the oven, everywhere. Have not had any problems since.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Mouse damage!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.