RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: Mouse damage!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Mouse damage!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dbarton28

Lambertville, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/05 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pulled our PU from storage on the back of my lot. Open it up and to my surprise.... MOUSE DROPPINGS EVERYWHERE! Why am I surprised? Before I put it away this past fall I used expanding foam to fill every opening underneath so I would not have this problem. We've had this unit for 2 seasons (bought it new) and I never covered it before this year. Apparently the mouse/mice climbed up inside of the new cover I put on and entered through the louvers for the fridge. The only damage I see is the insulation aroung the fridge has been torn out. I had 4 sticky traps inside and got 1 dead mouse.

Can anyone tell me, is there anything special bout that insulation around the fridge? Can I use regular attic insulation to replace it?

Also, has anyone had similar problems with pests coming in those louvers? And if so, what did you do? I've thought about screening but I think it will be difficult to attach. Don't like the idea of putting duct tape on the side of the PU cus it leaves a mess when removed.

Appreciate any help I can get.

Dale & Dawn
Buster & Marley (beagle & shih tzu)
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
2004 Flagstaff Classic 523

Queeniereads

Providence, RI

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/05 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh man! We had mice that made a mess the first season -- tried scrubbing the canvas at one end with everything and it still smelled. THe second year they ate right thru the canvas and all the beds. We finally had to pull out all the fabric: curtains, canvas and beds. THe dinette set escaped. That lovely camper sits in our back yard until we can either sell it as is or spend $3000 to re-purchase the fabric innards. I have read and would suggest that you climb inside at night with a bright light and someone else look from the outside and fill up all the gaps you find. I do not think ours came in from the refrigerator area. We hope someone will want our camper (1997 Shenandoah) for a song and a dance before we have to refurbish it to sell it. Good luck! If you read back through a few months of archives on this forum, you will likely read about mice. Do a search on MICE. Again, good luck. Queeniereads aka Judi

Judi, the Queen
Donovan, the Prince Consort who claims kingship
And (occasionally), Kim the heir to the throne
TT, or is it a PU? "> 2005 Trailmanor 3124KS, named IRIS
TV: Mercury Mountaineer, named Polly
MAscot: Blue Bear named Bergen

2Rad4U

I'm to young to be a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/05 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a website somewhere that showed using aluminum foil on the inside of these vents to keep out pests. It looked like they just laid a sheet of foil on the inside of the vent and the re-attached it.

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/05 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when summers over most people winterize and put them away and forget till the spring, in the fall when your done w/it the mice are looking for a place for the winter months,use mouse traps and bait and check them often it will save you a lot of work in the spring,dryer sheets also help some too,

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

dbarton28

Lambertville, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/05 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never thought about foil. That's not a bad idea. Boy, aluminum foil probably ranks near second to duct tape in handyman uses!
Thanks for the tip Julian.

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/05 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for the insulation, you can use any good brand of any type to replace what the meeses got into. Been there, done that. LOL

Believe it or not that one mouse you found most like did all the damage.

I take it the cover extended down the sides of the trailer quite a bit and that gap between the cover and the traielr side made a little "tunnel" the mouse could use to get up the side..

As an FYI for anyone getting a cover make sure it doesn't extend past the bottom of the trailer. Along with give pests a route to the trailer if it's low enough it will hold ground moisture that's give off and it won't ahve anywhere to evaporate to and does collect on the flooring. And as we all know you don't want the fllor to stay wet.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

nfisherman

IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/05 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always stored my boat with lots of D-con in it and I plan to do the same with my new camper. I've never had any damage to the boat. An occasional mouse gets in, but the bait gets them before they do any damage.

It's also a good idea to remove any food that might encourage the mice to stick around.

macc3

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/05 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

while looking for new/used pu, we were told by salesperson to put whole cloves in trailer in fall/winter - helps to keep critters away. Haven't ever tried it though. Moth balls are a definite no! never get rid of the smell apparently.
Anyone ever tried cloves?

Dave56

TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/05 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a mouse do damage to mine, that is why I got it cheap. I fixed the little holes, and the smell. I used frebreeze fabric spray for 2 days (soaked the PU with it) while it was popped up to air out, then I bought a good gel deodorizer and closed it up. I opened it a week later & it smelled great & still does. I have not smelled the mouse odor since. I put a box of D-con in there just in case one trys to visit again!

Dave..Deb..Sage..Jamie & Maddie (the bassett hound)
2006 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0/ 3.73
2007 Rockwood 8318ss
1982 Coleman Sun Valley Pop-Up (still love it)
2006 Pontoon Party Boat (50th B-day present)

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/05 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Transonic (www.weitech.com) makes an ultrasonic pest repeller that will run off of 12 volts. I know these things work inside houses, because we've used them successfully for years. I decided to try putting one (a Transonic CIX) UNDER my RV while it is parked. I asked the manufacturer and they said to place the Transonic under the trailer inside a tupperware bowl with holes near the speaker. Sound will come out behind too, so place the unit near the end of the trailer, say 5 feet in. Putting a cinder block at the far end would be good to to help the sounds echo. Setting it off the ground for weather protection is good too.

There's a one year unconditional full money back guarantee if you're not satisfied.

Seems to me if the critters never go under my rig, they will not chew wires, insulation, or be able to get inside.

I installed it in late summer. It has worked ok so far. I'm running it off the trailer battery, by connecting to the TV cord. I use a solar battery charger when stored, and am watching the voltage to be sure it keeps up.

I didn't want to kill the mice once they were in the trailer, I want them to not get in. Problem is I do not want to poison grandchildren, pets, or wild animals, all of which we seem to have around here.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Mouse damage!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.