|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Portable Air Compressors

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SANDFANATIC

LAKESIDE, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/05 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patterpusher wrote:

What a difference a day makes. The Husky and the Craftsman 150 psi Compact both look pretty good to me. Has anyone filled a rear Class C tire, say from 60 psi to 80 psi? If so how long did it take to fill the time? Was there any problem with over heating? I'm also wondering if the initial current surge when the compressor starts is a problem when operating it from a 4K generator. The specs don't say anything about starting current or wattage consumed. A 4K genset will only put out a max of about 35 amps. Should I buy a 10 or 12 gauge extension cord for it? I have to go to Johnson City, TN next week and would like to be armed with all the information I can get. Thanks a million for all the input. Patter

I haven't had to fill a tire with my Craftsman one yet. It's powerful enough to run some small air tools (ie: small air rachet, grinder, grease gun, nail gun, brad nailer, etc...), so I'm sure tires are no problem. I was worried about the start up of the compressor just like you, So I tested that when I bought it. My generator had plenty of power to fire the compressor off. I have an Onan 4K generator.

2001 Itasca Sundancer 31C
Towing a.......
22' enclosed trailer
2001 Banshee
2006 Polaris Preditor 50
2003 Chenowth Explorer TA

Or a......

03 Jeep Wrangler

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/05 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikebNJ wrote:

I am with Ayden and have the husky as well. The calibrated inflation tool sounds like something that is worth looking into! Thanks

Your welcome MikeNJ. The tool was in the same isle at home depot. I believe it's calibrated upto 90 psi. Some gas stations have the same model.

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/05 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patterpusher wrote:

What a difference a day makes. The Husky and the Craftsman 150 psi Compact both look pretty good to me. Has anyone filled a rear Class C tire, say from 60 psi to 80 psi? If so how long did it take to fill the time? Was there any problem with over heating? I'm also wondering if the initial current surge when the compressor starts is a problem when operating it from a 4K generator. The specs don't say anything about starting current or wattage consumed. A 4K genset will only put out a max of about 35 amps. Should I buy a 10 or 12 gauge extension cord for it? I have to go to Johnson City, TN next week and would like to be armed with all the information I can get. Thanks a million for all the input. Patter

The Husky worked great from 70 to 80psi, and I used my portable 2kw Honda EU2000i generator to air up my tires. It took less than a minute to put in the 10psi I needed. No noticeable over heating of the comp and the generator hummed along no problem in econo mode.

I really like my Husky for my C-Class but folks in the A-Class forum swear by the Craftsmen model to fill up their huge (On Edit: 110-120psi) DP tires. Only one A-Class guy used a Husky for his DP but he said it had to work pretty hard to air up his tires.

I hope that helped some.

* This post was edited 06/02/05 10:37am by Ayden *

TonyMin

Walnut Creek CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/05 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I like about one with a small tank is that for small touch ups it is instant without depending on the compressor motor to pump in air. For a touch up of a few pounds, which is generally all I need, the tank with its 100plus psi pressure, supplies plenty of air without even cycling the compressor until I have done several tires.

'98 Shasta Cheyenne 280 highrise, widebody

patterpusher

Pineola, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/05 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks a lot guys Tuesday when I get to town (big enough to have HD and Sears) I'll be the proud owner of one of those models. You have convinced me that my worries were for naught. I'll check them both out in person. I also like the idea of the calibrated inflation tool. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one while I'm in the store. I take it, that it just screws on to the hose to replace the nozzle that comes with the unit. Living up in the mountains I just don't get to town often enough to keep up with all the gadgets. Patter

THE ROLLING TURTLE
2005 Dutchmen Express 28A Chevy chassis
2005 Saturn Vue toad
Photo's in and of my Rig

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/05 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patterpusher wrote:

I also like the idea of the calibrated inflation tool. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one while I'm in the store. I take it, that it just screws on to the hose to replace the nozzle that comes with the unit. Living up in the mountains I just don't get to town often enough to keep up with all the gadgets. Patter

This is what it looks like. Lowes carries the same model...
[image]
Here's a picture of the fittings I used...
[image]

I was hoping they would carry the same inflator w/ a dual foot end but this works ok especially for the front tires.

I have this and other accessories fitted w/ quick dis-connects using teflon tape.

patterpusher

Pineola, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/05 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ayden,
Thank for the pictures of the inflation tool. I was wondering if it had a meter or a blowout gauge. Too bad it doesn't have a double sided head for the outside duals

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/05 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patterpusher wrote:

Ayden,
Thank for the pictures of the inflation tool. I was wondering if it had a meter or a blowout gauge. Too bad it doesn't have a double sided head for the outside duals

Luckily for me I have solid one piece brass extenders from Borge tires or Tireman on my rear dualies otherwise I would only purchase the dual chuck version online as HD or Lowes didn't carry the dual chuck model w/ the blow out gauge.

If you go to Campbell Hausfeld online they have the same model w/ the dual chuck end for $33. If you don't have extenders order their model instead.

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/05 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 110V compressor is designed to work in a 15 or 20 amp socket. The genset in mine does not even load up when I start it.

I have a similar air gauge and lever hose, except I added a dual head chuck on the end.

Jim

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/05 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTech wrote:

I have a similar air gauge and lever hose, except I added a dual head chuck on the end.
Jim

Was that easy to do Jim. Maybe I can do it to mine 'cause I would prefer a dual chuck but didn't want to wait and bought HD one as-is.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Portable Air Compressors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.