|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Portable Air Compressors

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Nvr*lost

SW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/05 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the Craftsman also and run it from the RV generator. No problems and it inflates to 80lbs quickly.

patterpusher

Pineola, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/05 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I've gained in this topic I think I'll be getting the Craftsman 150PSI Compact AC (I'll still look at both while in town) and add a metered inflation tool with a double headed chuck. Thanks for all the super info. I have one more sort of related question. The markings on my LT225/75R16 tires have a Load index/speed rating number listed like this "110/107S". Is this saying they are rated for a load between 2149 lbs to 2337 lbs per tire at a maximum sustained speed of 112 MPH or 2149 lbs when used as a single and 2337 when used as a dual. I've never seen two numbers used like this for the load index. But then again my covered wagon had wooden wheels. Patter

* This post was edited 06/03/05 07:08am by patterpusher *

THE ROLLING TURTLE
2005 Dutchmen Express 28A Chevy chassis
2005 Saturn Vue toad
Photo's in and of my Rig

Wizzard_of_Odds

Northern Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/05 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ayden wrote:

I hope this helped some,

Yup, helped me, I went out and bought one today. So far I'm very impressed with the compressor.

I have a 60 Gallon unit, but I've been looking for one to have on the road. I bought the Husky that you pictured in your post, the tire filler with gauge, and an extra hose, all for about $165. I'm very happy.

I guess it's RV money spending day or someting, I finally broke down and bought the Borg valve stems today also. Hopefully they ship them quickly, I'd like to have them installed before our trip next weekend.

...Wiz

1994 Jayco 23' E350 7.5
Thorley headers, Intellipower 9160, Bilsteins, Brembo brakes, K&N filters, Mobil 1, Satellite TV & Internet & WAP, MP3-CD, Generac 5KW, Kipor KGE3500TI, Honda EZ2500

2005 Four Winns Horizon 190 (fully loaded)

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/05 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ayden wrote:

HiTech wrote:

I have a similar air gauge and lever hose, except I added a dual head chuck on the end.
Jim

Was that easy to do Jim. Maybe I can do it to mine 'cause I would prefer a dual chuck but didn't want to wait and bought HD one as-is.

Yep, just threads in with a wrench.

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/05 12:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Wiz, I'm glad my posts were helpful. Mine has worked out really great for our family.

Thanks Hitech. I'll stop by HD next week and pick one up and some extra teflon tape and lose the lever hose end.

I got a lot out of this thread. Thanks Patter.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/05 12:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patterpusher wrote:

What a difference a day makes. The Husky and the Craftsman 150 psi Compact both look pretty good to me. Has anyone filled a rear Class C tire, say from 60 psi to 80 psi? If so how long did it take to fill the time? Was there any problem with over heating? I'm also wondering if the initial current surge when the compressor starts is a problem when operating it from a 4K generator. The specs don't say anything about starting current or wattage consumed. A 4K genset will only put out a max of about 35 amps. Should I buy a 10 or 12 gauge extension cord for it? I have to go to Johnson City, TN next week and would like to be armed with all the information I can get. Thanks a million for all the input. Patter

I'll make a quick guess at motor size all these units are using less than 10 amps

maybe only 4 or 5 amps

your A/C is on a 15 or 20 amp breaker and the A/C compressor alone weighs more than these whole air compressors

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Airmon

Big pine key, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/05 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a small Craftsman 120V tankless compressor at a yard sale, it's about the size of a shoebox. It was lacking a hose, so I added a coiled plastic hose and an end that fastens on to the valve so I don't have to hold it.
It's noisy and doesn't fill the tire particularly fast, but it brought one of my rears up from 55 to 80 PSI in a few minutes off of the generator. I would rate its output capability about like one of those tankless compressors in the coin-operated vacuum/air dispensers at many gas stations, but since you don't have to squat there and keep the end on the valve, waiting a couple of minutes isn't a big deal to me.
Best of all, it fits nicely in my "Tool Storage" compartment. I don't think I'd have a place to store ANY of the compressors mentioned here with storage tanks, at least without taking up much of my interior closet, and possibly causing a divorce. [emoticon]
While I don't think it's up to the task of filling multiple tires from empty, I really don't expect that to me an issue I'll be facing. More likely is a slow leak that I need to top off to get me to a repair facility, or regular maintenance of tire pressures and I think this little compressor is up to that task. This regular maintenance can also be often taken care of at a full service station with a LARGE, tank storage compressor.
I would imagine that both the current tankless Sears model and the Campbell Housefield model would perform about the same. I think it's perfect if you don't have the space/weight that you want to devote to a larger and heavier tank compressor, though I would suggest that you change out the end to prevent the squatting/waiting issue. Maybe a 1/4 inch quick change end might be a good idea, allowing you to choose from several ends, like an inflater for toys, etc.
If I had a larger Class A with basement storage, I would likely rethink my choice and fasten down a larger, more powerfull tank equipped unit.

Your mileage may vary.

* This post was edited 06/05/05 12:18pm by Airmon *

Eric
2003 HR 29RBD/2006 Liberty CRD
Big Pine Key, FL
www.jenericramblings.com

jahrens

Fulltimers

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/05 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I concurr with the Sears tankless compressor. I bought one a year or two ago, for I think, about $50. It does fine with my tires to 85 psi, and has several extra attachments so you can air up air mattresses, inflatable boats and other toys, etc. We used it to air up our inflatable boat for the first time, and it worked great both to air up suck the air back out so it actually folded up and fit in its storage bag!

Works off the generator nicely.

John & Nikki Ahrens

patterpusher

Pineola, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/05 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found a Sears part number for the inflator with a gauge its Sears Item #0091638800 and sells for $24.99. here's a link maybe?
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&pid=00916388000&bidsite=&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

also found a dual air Chuck it's Sears Item # 00916386000 and sells for $6.89 and hears a link again I hope???

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916386000

I think the Sears 150 psi Compact A/C and these two tools will just about fill the bill for me. Patter

* This post was edited 06/05/05 08:36pm by patterpusher *

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/05 05:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patterpusher

This has been a GREAT thread!

Can you explain what the various ends of the Sears tire inflator do. Where does it connect to the compressor, where does the dual chuck go, and what is that lever in the picture in the Sears web link (thanks for the links).

2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Portable Air Compressors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.