|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Portable Air Compressors

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
patterpusher

Pineola, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/05 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Burlmart, Burl,
The Sears Tire inflator fastens to the end of the air hose on the compressor. One end fastens to the valve stem of the tire to be inflated and the other to the compressor air hose. There is a "Blow out" type air gage on the handle to tell you how much air is in the tire you're inflating. The "Dual Chuck" is a double sided air chuck used to fill dual tires on a motor home. It replaces the screw on type chuck that is on the inflator tool so that you can reach the valve stem of the outside dual tire on a Class C (or A), which is in-between the two tires. You have to stick the chuck through a hole in the rim then pull it back against the valve stem and use the lower orifice on the chuck to inflate the tire. The upper orifice on the chuck is used to inflate the inside dual by sticking it through a hole in the outside duals rim directly against the valve stem of the inside dual. I hope I didn't confuse you as much as I did myself with this explanation. The handle you see is just to start or stop the flow of air from the compressor. Patter

THE ROLLING TURTLE
2005 Dutchmen Express 28A Chevy chassis
2005 Saturn Vue toad
Photo's in and of my Rig

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/05 02:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Patter

So sorry to put you thru yjat. I know how hard it is to explain the simplest things, cause we seldom bother to explain them to ourselves, and the words are hard to come up with. You did a great job explaining, thanks.

I am looking at this thread carefully, and am leaning to the craftsman or Home Depot Husky (now $99.99 online) and the two extra gadgets - inflator and dual chuck. I would prefer a smaller compressor, however, since we only have a 22 ft. Trail-Lite B+ 213 RV.

If you or anyone else tuning in could suggest quality smaller units that easily attach to the inflator and can top off to 50 or 55 psi, please advise. I get the impression that the $40 Wal-Mart device would not even be able to do this task, is that right? If it can, how does one attach the inflator to the compressor on this less expensive unit that I assume only has a simple clip-on-to-valve-stem hose end.

2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/05 02:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burlmart wrote:

I get the impression that the $40 Wal-Mart device would not even be able to do this task, is that right? If it can, how does one attach the inflator to the compressor on this less expensive unit that I assume only has a simple clip-on-to-valve-stem hose end.

The $40 CH unit at Walmart can absolutely can do the job just as well and the attachement of the inflator is exactly the same as it would on any compressor.

I have the Husky model myself, but if you only require less than 80psi out of a compressor than go for the Walmart model. It weighs only 18lbs, and the tankless model weighs even less.

My reasoning for going w/ the more expensive higher CFM model is I wanted multiple uses out of one compressor for the home and camping. It come also comes pre-equiped w/ numerous inflation and deflation attachments as well.

It's all a matter of personal choice really and what you want to get out of a unit. The Walmart units are great products don't get caught up w/ what other folks buy just buy what you need.

Takecare,

Ayden

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/05 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ayden

How can I connect the dual chuck to the $40 CH unit? Will I have to rig a connection, or does the unit have a standard end thread that allows the screw-on of a stock dual chuck like the one Patter found at Sears?

Patter

Aren't both hands occupied if holding the air lever and holding the dual ckuck end on the valve. I anticipate an awkward position as it is down by the dual wheels and then w/ hands in the small hand holes thru the rim. Thoughts?

Also, do you really need the inflator w/ gauge at all. Could you just connect the dual chuck to the air hose of the Sears 150 psi compressor's hose. Then, maybe you read the gauge on the compressor, or have someone else call it to you. (I am guessing here, but can you tell the compressor what pressure to stop at, like 55 psi?

Thanks for helping me w/ my dumb questions.

I hope to really get this down right, cause tire pressure seems somehow more critical on an RV than a regular car - for many reasons, I suppose.

Addendum to above

The Home Depot website has lots of interesting connectors to air hoses, hardware to create/repair hoses, and a $3 dual chuck. I am wondering if one had to, could they make their own hose w/ a dual chuck at the end and put it on a portable tankless model which all seem to have the much less useful univetrsal 'bike pump clip valve attacher'.

* This post was edited 06/07/05 11:30am by burlmart *

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/05 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burlmart wrote:

How can I connect the dual chuck to the $40 CH unit? Will I have to rig a connection, or does the unit have a standard end thread that allows the screw-on of a stock dual chuck like the one Patter found at Sears?

There's no difference. The Walmart Campbell Hausfeld units utilize the same std connections as all compressors they just come in lesser PSI ratings and CFMs but very capable of doing minor work as you mentioned.

As I said earlier, upgrading to the more expensive Craftsmen or Husky models may give more bang for your buck going forward.

I'd hate for you to look in the mirror and say "I should of spent the extra $50 for the Sears and Home Depot models."

Regards,

Ayden

PS. I don't think Patter's near a computer to get back to you.

patterpusher

Pineola, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/05 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey All especially burl,

I just got back from Sears where I bought the Craftsman 150 psi Compact AC, the Gaged inflator tool and a dual chuck along with a blow gun and quick connect fittings. The Compressor does a very good job and don't even get warm. I did run into one snafu. The thread on the outlet end of the inflator tool is a finer thread than the Female thread on the Dual chuck so if one tried to put the two together you would ruin both parts. The salesman in sears couldn't find any adaptor to make them fit so until I get my local hardware man working on finding me an adaptor, I'll just be using the dual chuck without the gaged inflator. In Burl's last post I think he is right that it would be too awkward to hold the chuck on the valve stem with one hand while holding the inflator handle in the other. Maybe I'll relegate the inflator handle to the passenger car and just use the Chuck with a quick connect and I already have a dual headed truck tire gage. Hope that everyone avoids buying the gaged inflator until we find one that already has a dual chuck without a hose between the chuck and the handle (trigger) Patter

* This post was edited 06/07/05 09:28pm by patterpusher *

patterpusher

Pineola, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/05 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burlmart, Burl,

for what you are using the compressor for you wouldn't need the inflator with the gage or for that matter the dual chuck either. You don't have Dual Wheels on your trailer so the valve stems are accessible with a standard single footed chuck or a screw-on chuck. Just get yourself a good tire gage and use in independently while filling your tires. As for fasting tools to the A/C, they all go on the end of the air hose and the air hose is the same for all types of air compressors. If you want to use the small Air Compressor for other things get a blow gun (which is just a handle with a trigger to let air out as you want it) and maybe a needle type ball inflator. Then put the female part (chuck) of a Quick connect coupler on the hose and buy the male part (stem) for each of the tools you have then its just a matter of sliding the release ring back to take one tool off then stick the next tool in. Really fast and easy. Ayden did a good job at answering all the other questions you ask me. Thanks Ayden. Patter

res08hao

La Mirada, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/05 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you are getting good responses. I also bought the $99 air compressor from Sears. Has a nice carrying handle, but most importantly, it has a 3 gallon tank. That is the spec that is important: volume.

over the hill and enjoying the view
diesel pickup and 5th wheel trailer.

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/05 02:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been excellent advice from all on this thread.

Patter, I have a TL B Plus 213 motorhome w/ dual rear wheels, not a trailer. I wasn't sure if I had it right about the inflator. The Home Depot may have a dual chuck w/ 1/4" threads for $3 - chechout their web site.

Ayden pointed me to a compact CH unit that is 120V and uses a 'serious' hose that accepts attachments as the Sears 150psi unit does. It is not on the Wal-Mart website, so I was confused by what Ayden was describing. I intend to go do some serious looking around soon.

Thanks for all the good advice.

PS

Wow! check this deal from harbordreight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42716

* This post was edited 06/08/05 04:08am by burlmart *

patterpusher

Pineola, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/05 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Burlmart: Burl,

Sorry about the TT business. I guess that will teach this old man to be a little more careful when he reads a post. That link to the accessory pack does look like a good deal. The only thing I can see that is doubtful, is the gage only reads to 50 psi. If one tries to check an 80 psi tire, the post would come out of it like a shot from a gun. Ouch! I still want to caution about the two different thread sizes I found between the inflator tool and the dual chuck I posted earlier in this thread. They are both 1/4" but the one on the hose has many more thread per inch and both would strip if you tried to join them. As you mentioned, I think it would be best to just forget the inflation tool and use a separate gage. I've been busy all morning airing up everything I could find to air up. LOL. Patter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Portable Air Compressors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.