|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help!!... Tire troubles

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
perkins

Moses Lake, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/05 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sure could use some help here. Been reading this forum for a couple of months. You all are so knowledgable and helpful I thought I would give it a try.

Just replaced my stock 235/85-16's with 265/75-16's. I was worried about the weight. 6700# on rear axle with 11.5' Cascade.

Now Pickup drives terrible. Used stock 6" wheels. Could this be my problem. Tires are siped. They are Toyo's. Thought maybe need to go to 8" Wheels?

Would sure appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks so much,
Lyndon

mjgcamper

Nowhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/05 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lyndon, what load range rating are your new tires? And what weight are they rated for?

I just recently learned from Sooty1234 that tires need time to break in as far as rubber compounds and thier need for getting up to running temperatures on the road and becoming more stable for various reasons.
I think he was also experiencing some unstable steering as well with the new tires he bought. You could try sending him a private message by clicking on the search button for Sooty1234 and then push send a PM on his profile.

Hope he'll help, Mike

Peace and Good will to all,
don't forget country roads,
try travel em' all.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/05 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you say "drives terrible", what do you mean?

I don't think you are supposed to run 265's on a 6" rim. Probably need at least a 7", 8" would be better. Go to the tire manufacturers web page and look at the tire specs. It will show you the wheel width requirements for your 265's.

Link

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

vanbikehorse

Green Lane, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/05 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm running 7 inch wide wheels on the 265's, which is the specified minimum wheel width. All that notwithstanding, you should not have a major drivability problem (unless you are like the Princess and the pea wlth your ability to detect drivability issues) with the existing wheels unless something else is wrong. (like inflation, tire load rating, etc.)

The smaller wheel width would tend to make your tires wear more on the center of the tread. What are we dealing with here, I assume it is an older (Ford?), not a dually (if so, get rid of those 265's right away, they will rub and create major problems).

2005 Chevy 2500HD SB X-CAB,4X4,G-80,D/A,ALCOA Wls,265/75R16E, Air Lift Sure Set, SuperSprings, RS9000x, Curt 14108.
2003 Alpenlite Laramie w/X CAB & Polar Cub A/C, Happijac FM, EU-2000.
2000 Brenderup Baron TC Horse Tailer
1996 Arab Endurance Race Horse

perkins

Moses Lake, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/05 10:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it. I have a 92 Dodge 3/4 ton SRW. Tires are LR E, 3400#. The boys at Les Schwab said no problem with the 6" wheels. Looks to me like 7" is minimum from the link that Brad posted. I just can't imagine that the rims would make that much difference.

I noticed the difference immediately after putting on the new tires. Otherwise may have suspected shocks or alignment. Just put on new shocks and recent alignment though.

Thanks a bunch for the input, I really appreciate it.
Lyndon

gmoore

Custer, Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/05 11:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran 265/75R 16 E toyos on 8"rims (wheels rated for 3400lbs ea.) on my 93 Ford F250 with excellent results. No rubbing or handling problems. Worked very well pulling a 32' Alpenlite 5'ver thru the Cascade mountain passes and thousands of miles of freeway driving. I would recommend this combination to anyone needing the load carrying capacity they provide.

05 F350 SC 4x4 6.0 w/auto
04 Alpenlite 32' Augusta

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/05 12:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, 8" wheel on a 265 works better than a 6". I ran 265's on the front of my old dually with the stock wheels and it didn't handle very well. I switched back to 235's and it handled like it should. The sidewalls were sucked in too much with the 265's on the stock wheels and I'm guessing that caused them not to have the stability they would normally have when on the correct size wheel.

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Clattertruck

Centennial Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/05 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think that having tires siped is a good idea. I did that once and the tires tended to walk all over the road, and they developed a strange wear pattern.

Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.

30yrtc

Monson,Me

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/05 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tire to wide for Wheel!!!

you are in danger of breaking the bead seal. Result, very fast air down, Most exposed in sharp turn at high speed...NOT A PLEASENT THOUGHT

Who do you trust, the manufactures's engineers, Or the tire changer
at the tire store....

The tire rating is at the specficed conditions posted by the manufacturer, any other use can be considered, experimental...

When you go to wider rims, you must check clearance for Rims,,,
Brakes , drums, turning radius, etc.....

You need to re-think everything,

Again experimental mode....

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/05 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing I could see is the 265s being a bit stiffer tire-especially if you had been running "D's" before. The E can be a bit more harsh as far as road feel. (Itll feel like a truck-old school) I didnt really get what "terrible" means?
Mark

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help!!... Tire troubles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS