|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Installing a second house battery

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RV_Solo

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/05 02:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a '92 Jamboree, 29'. I bought a new house battery, 12v. deep cycle when I got it. I had trouble with losing charge. I did a lot of research on going to 2 ea. 6v. golf cart batteries and also adding a 2nd 12 v. house battery. Mfgr was no help, said they couldn't comment on owner modifications - liability, etc. So, I never did add a 2nd battery. I am still using one house battery.

I have a knife switch on the starting battery which I open when I park it. I don't have opportunity to plug it in where I live (apt. complex) So...I put in another knife switch on the house battery and open it when I park it now. There are a number of little things that draw misc. current when everything is "off"...

Bottom line, I haven't had house battery go low since I did that. Don't konw about cause and effect, but the switch was less than $10 at Camping world.

I haven't uncovered a downside to using it yet.

FYI - good luck

Tall Solo RV rookie

Sorney1

MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/05 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked at Bass Pro Shops today when I was there. The A-B-A/B switch was $19.95 IIRC. memory is the second thing to go.

The Falcon

Monterey Co, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/05 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just buy another battery of the same type and size (probably Group 24 or 27) and install it in parallel with the one you have. If you can fit it beside the existing one, all you should need are two 10 inch cables. They can be attached to the "old" battery via the existing nuts.

No need to do anything else.

Precision Guesses
Joe&Jan 2003 Hurricane 30Q V10
2004 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Brake Buddy

coloradodave

Colorado Springs, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/05 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't have room in the battery compartment for another, or want to modify things, you could always just bring a spare battery along and swap it out if needed or jumper cable it. My bet is, its a group 24, dealers/mfr's tend to put whatever is small/cheap in. Maybe upgrading to a larger group size would work in the interim as well. They really should make two coach batteries as the minimum anymore.

'04 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
DH & DW
DS & DD
2 dogs

Nascar65

Lodi, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/05 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to determin how much boondocking you will be doing. I dont...so I bought a 2nd battery at walmart & bring a charger & inverter when we do. This extra battery is enoungh to run a portable boom box & awning lights all night. I run the generator on & off a few hours during the the next day & recharge. I feel carrying the extra weight ALL the time is'nt worth it.
My main battery is more then enough to kept the lights,furnace,fridge & waterheater working during the winter.

Good luck

05 Four Winds 31P
Our Pics
Places to stay..

Sorney1

MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/05 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Falcon wrote:

Just buy another battery of the same type and size (probably Group 24 or 27) and install it in parallel with the one you have. If you can fit it beside the existing one, all you should need are two 10 inch cables. They can be attached to the "old" battery via the existing nuts.

No need to do anything else.

read patterpushers post if you are going to get a second 12 volt battery.

steved28

Bellingham,MA,USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/05 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added a second battery to a storage compartment located near my primary battery (which is under the entry steps). I used a marine Perko 3 way switch (A, B, A+B, off). You can purchase a battery container just about anywhere, bolt it to the floor, and add a vent for the compartment. Then run heavy guage wire to the marine switch. This way you can isolate the batteries or tie them together if needed.

2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

mightywind

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/05 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a Four Winds 5000 28A. We experienced the same issue. I did add a 2nd house battery and have been doing much better. I would highly recommend it. You can get the same exact battery in your rig from Interstate Battery. They can also supply the cables to put the battery in parallel. I welded an addition onto the existing battery tray. I basically extended the tray towards the rear of the motorhome about 10". There was pleny of room to expand the tray underneath. If you don't have the equipment to weld one up you can probably find a local shop to do it for you. Be sure to paint the new metal.

The heat sheild for the muffler pipe was loose over the rear axle so we put a few extra tacks on that while we were at it. If you have someone do your weling check your heat shields before and and maybe you can kill two birds with one stone.

I've also found that the battery meter in the rig sucks. I'd recommend a different meter when you want an more accurate reading. I have an inverter that includes a digital readout of the battery condition.

Scott

Scott Way
"Mass and velocity have right of way"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Installing a second house battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.