|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> RV Decals and Striping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
JimAndCat

Melrose, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/05 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also had a surprisingly good experience with a small rv shop after we decided our doing the work ourselves would not be much fun and a big job. We just wimped out!

The quote of $1000 was to replace old, worn and cracked stripes with new 3M vinyl on our 36ft. Class A was very reasonable.

When the new vinyl became back ordered his painted was free so he decided to paint bright clearcoat for 80% of design with 20% vinyl at no extra charge.

The painted stripes look fantastic. Better than newl. He told us he would have quoted the upgraded paint job at around $1800.00. That's reasonable for professionally replaced graphics. That price is reasonable.

We suggest you look for a small business paint shop with low overhead and able to negotiate a fair price before taking it on yourself if you can afford it.
GoodLuck
JimAndCat

FTWANNAB

Ontario or Rancho California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/05 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of mine just had his redone by a shop. He pais around $1700.00 to have them removed and repainted on, not decals. It came out awesome. It looks like a brand new coach!

Mike, Wife - Nancy, and Son's - Mikey & Trevor
2008 Terra LX 34N w/Bunks
Part Timing in Outdoor Resorts - Rancho California
"Life Aint Always Beautiful, But It's a Beautiful Ride"

my3wags

Corona, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/05 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen striping on E-bay!! use "rv decal" here is one link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS........Item&rd=1&item=4557594930&category=50073

Good Luck

Big E and family of three
2002 F250 SUPERDUTY CREW CAB 4X4 7.3 PSD
Most of the goodies !!

2004 KEYSTONE SPRINTER 297 FWBHS
All of the goodies
Hunting in the Imperial Valley !!!

bob_b

Souderton, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/05 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently finished a re-striping job on my Itasca Suncruiser (same as the Adventurer). I called on Mobility RV that carries old Winnebago stock. They only have a few of the original graphics. One very small decal was $135! I said no way.

I got a local graphics shop to take pictures of the old specialty decals and print new ones. The stripes and common lettering/shapes were found on Ebay or at an online printing shop.

I cost me over $1000 to buy all of the graphics. It took several days to remove the stripes with a heat gun and a few more days to remove the glue with adhesive remover and the eraser wheel.

Applying the graphics was straight-forward except for the front. If your motorhome has a big stripe going around the front, make sure you have plenty extra striping, because you are attempting to wrap a wide vinyl strip around a sloped corner. You are likely to mess up the front striping one or more times due to the complexity of the installation learning curve.

Tip: The bottom of the stripe needs to be stretched so that the top doesn't bunch up. On a wide stripe, stretching the bottom is not feasible. I ended up cutting the one wide stripe into eight narrow stripes so that this could be accomplished. Warming the smaller stripes allowed the bottom to stretch around the corner without breaking.

'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates">

hwybnb

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/05 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a good source of stripping material. They have a tremendous variety of colors and widths and will send you a card with samples if you call and ask. They do not sell direct but can give you the names of local dealers.

Universal Graphics

I completely restripped a 30' MH about a year ago. The hardest part was cleaning off the old stripes, which were pretty badly weathered. There are several ways to do that, the best choice depending on the condition of the old stuff. You can try scraping them off with the help of a heat gun to soften the old vinyl. There are chemical products that do a good job but are expensive. The best is 3M Woodgrain and Decal Remover 08907. Professionals often use a rubber "eraser wheel" that mounts in drill motor. You can the 3M stuff and the eraser wheels at businesses that supply the automobile painting industry.

After removing the old stuff you need to be sure the surface is completely clean. Isopropyl alcohol is good for that. 3M also has some good products for removing the adhesive residue.

You will find after getting the old stripes off that their footprints are still visible because the siding under them has not weathered like the exposed sections. For that reason you should plan to restripe with the same pattern, or one with wider stripes that will cover the footprints.

The new stripes came on rolls with a paper backing and a clear protective cover layer. Applying them is not difficult but you need to take care to get them straight. I drew lines with a soft pencil to use as a guide. You also need to take care that you don't stretch them as you put them on. Having an extra pair of hands helps.

Argosy24

MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/05 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine are physically OK, but OK is about all I would give the color scheme also. When I replace them it will be with something that looks better, I don't see any problem with getting a little creative.

mooreadventures

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/05 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the same boat - the only thing I can think of is checking with a local graphics shop and see if they can reproduce the stripping. We've tried using a little touch up paint, but it doesn't look that great.

Good luck...
- Mark

Mark & Tammy
'05 Monaco Cheetah

sbraxton

Spotsylvania,Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/05 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a '97 Winnebago Adventurer and the side taping has begun to peel off.I want to replace this soon.I called Winnebago and was told the decals and striping for that model are not made by the company anymore.Does anyone know of options I can pursue?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> RV Decals and Striping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.