RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Leveling Jack lights up while driving

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Leveling Jack lights up while driving

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
RVROSE

Chardon, OH

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/05 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got back from a two week trip when an unexpected thing occurred. The leveling jack warning light and irritating buzzer came on while driving. Each time it was the right front jack that slipped out of it's storing height and sent off the warnings into the cockpit.

My temporary cure was to pull over, drop both the jacks on the right side a little bit, spray and clean with WD-40, and re-store the jacks.

It's the weekend now, but I'll call HWH and/or Newmar on Monday and talk with someone then. What do you think they'll tell me?

It was really unnerving to have this happen, especially the first time. It got easier to handle and accept when it happened 5 more times on the trip. The first time I blamed I-44 in MO. That was a particularly rough road from St. Louis down to where we stopped for the night. I'm sure every nut and bolt on the rig thought about leaving home for the night. Well, this Nut learned not to take I-44 on the return trip.

2005 Kountry Star with a 4 cyl. Saturn Vue with stick shift.
Mike and Rose and Pepper, our All-American black lap dog.

djevans

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/05 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVROSE . . .

Just a possibility, but you might be just a little low on fluid and I'd certainly check it if you haven't and add a little even if it isn't exactly showing low.

Don . . . near 36.171N 086.784W, TN near here
WA4ZFN
2003 Fleetwood Revolution 40C - HONDA Element
350hp Cummins ISC
2006 GL1800 HONDA GoldWing
- - - P i c t u r e s - - -

"HOPE" is not a strategy . . .

jimmyrain2000

Aguanga, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/05 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is not uncommon with HWH leveling jacks. We had the same thing happen with ours in our other RV. The remedy was to drive with the "store" button selected and illuminated. This will not hurt the system in any way. I do not know what model of jacks that comes with your rig, but here is a link for HWH. Hope this helps. http://www.hwhcorp.com/newmarman.html

Jim & Jeni

2007 Monaco Dynasty Squire LE

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara Toad
Good Sam Life Time & FMCA Members
If you do not ask, the answer will ALWAYS be no.

jimmyrain2000@gmail.com

Chuck Lofty

Huntsville, Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/05 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVRose, Had the same problem with my 2004 DSDP and it was a simple matter of driving with the jacks turned on and in the store position. Seems they shake down a bit as you travel and you are suppose to keep them turned on so they continually adjust themselves.

Chuck and Donna Lofty
2005 DSDP 4320
Huntsville, Al
The cat that thinks she's royalty is Alley

jjoe

Charlotte, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/05 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had that happen once and turned out to be that the fluid was a little low.

04 Fleetwood Revolution, 06 Honda CRV

RVROSE

Chardon, OH

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/05 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From RVRose,
I just read the first four responses to my query. While I'm sitting here at the computer I'm wondering how I can have the "store" button turned on while I'm driving. Don't you have to have the hand brake activated to make the leveling buttons work? I've tried a couple times to drive with the hand brake on and I get real bad mileage that way.

FredNSue

Troy, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/05 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't own HWH jacks, but it doesn't seem right that you should have to keep the system on to keep the jacks up. Hydraulic leak or some failure? If the system is on and the jacks settle down a little then the sensor detects it and turns on the pump to run it back up. Why should it go down in the first place? Just my thoughts. Fred

2000 Airstream XC 300Cat Allison MD3060
02 Honda CR-V

dicnic

Boynton Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/05 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have posted, add fluid. Mine would lite up when I went around a sharp corner, I added fluid and it was fine.

Sold our 2001 National Tradewinds, might buy a new on someday.

One Bald-Headed Old Guy (me)
One Jewish-American Princess (DW)
Two Birman Cats, Mocha & Coco

I speak three languages: English, Sarcasm & Profanity

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/05 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over 90% of the time with the automatic system this is due to IMPROPER STOW TECHNIQUE.

With the HWH automatic jacks, the proper way to stow is to wait until you are ready to start the engine to leave. With engine running, hit the on button to turn the system on. Now hit the store button. DO NOTHING ELSE-- REPEAT DO NOTHING ELSE. The system will automatically turn itself off within 5 minutes.

If you hit off after the light goes off and jacks "sound" stowed, you will trap a little hydraulic fluid (Dexron III) in those long lines. Same thing happens if you turn off the ignition before the cycle has completed. Particularly with large temperature rises during the day which cause a little expansion of fluid, there is enough trapped fluid to trigger the alarm and in some cases to even kick down a jack.

* This post was edited 06/26/05 10:27am by wolfe10 *

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Economical Handyman

S. California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/05 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Over 90% of the time this is due one of two things. Low fluid level (check with jacks completely stowed) OR IMPROPER STOW TECHNIQUE.

With the HWH automatic jacks, the proper way to stow is to wait until you are ready to start the engine to leave. With engine running, hit the on button to turn the system on. Now hit the store button. DO NOTHING ELSE-- REPEAT DO NOTHING ELSE. The system will automatically turn itself off within 5 minutes.

If you hit off after the light goes off and jacks "sound" stowed, you will trap a little hydraulic fluid (Dexron III) in those long lines. Same thing happens if you turn off the ignition before the cycle has completed. Particularly with large temperature rises during the day which cause a little expansion of fluid, there is enough trapped fluid to trigger the alarm and in some cases to even kick down a jack.

Brett,
What is the reason for having the engine running, before turning the system on?
Thanks
DeWayne

DeWayne & Judy
04 3810 Dutch Star
ISL 370
Frank's autoformer
01 Sahara Jeep-toad
Blue Ox Aventa II
F 374382
This is not the "GOLDEN-YEARS", it is the "RUSTY-YEARS" !

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Leveling Jack lights up while driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.