|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Spare tire access with camper on

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Windwalker55

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/05 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this has been discussed several times, but I came up with a way to drop my spare tire with my camper on and wanted to share it with others. It may not work for all depending on how much space you have to access the insert for the crank tool. I will describe it and hopefully post a few photos, if I can figure out how.
I have about 15" between my license plate area where the insert is for my tire tool to drop my tire and the camper when it is loaded. A mechanic at the Dodge dealer suggested a part that would attach to a ratchet when I took it in to see about moving the insert hole. Obviously that wasn't an option. I checked how long a tool that attached to a ratchet should be and took my crank tool and the ratchet into a machine shop along with a drawing and they made the tool for me. It only cost me $20.
Here are the photos hopefully.
[image]
[image]
[image]

2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/05 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a cool idea [emoticon].

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

LTGill_FL

Lake City, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I came up with a similar device I made from a threaded rod and some 9/16 nuts JB welded together. However, I still hang my spare on the front of the truck for the following reasons. 1) with a flat the truck is low and getting the tire out from under the truck may not be possible. 2) SAFETY I do not want my head under the camper rear with the truck up on a jack. 3)BEEN THERE DONE THAT
Had a blow out (ran over a very large bolt) in Iowa last year. When I pulled on to the dirt shoulder, the rim/tire fragments cut deeply into the shoulder lowering the rear to the point I had to dig a hole under the axle to put my bottle jack in. While I was there with my head under the holding tank digging a hole, it was very apparent the tire could not be pulled out unless the vehicle was up on a jack; NO THANKS. I was very glad I had my spare in a hidden hitch receiver and bracket on the front; easy and safe access. .. LT

2001, 3500 Dodge, QC, diesel, 2wd, automatic, LWB, rear AirLift bags, 4 Rancho 9000x, Banks 4" exhaust.
2006 Lance 1191, all options & pkg's, HappiJac tie downs.

vanbikehorse

Green Lane, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good job. I have a design for the Chevy version of that, just haven't implemented yet. Would get one length of their lowering tool and cut the back end off to where it would fit in the hole with the camper on and have a 3/8" extension welded on - then use conventional 3/8" extension/ratchet for the rest.

I tried the front hitch/spare, but the trans temp was elevated the whole time I had it on, so I took it off. I may try again on the diesel, but the 6L gas knew there was something obstructing the air flow.

2005 Chevy 2500HD SB X-CAB,4X4,G-80,D/A,ALCOA Wls,265/75R16E, Air Lift Sure Set, SuperSprings, RS9000x, Curt 14108.
2003 Alpenlite Laramie w/X CAB & Polar Cub A/C, Happijac FM, EU-2000.
2000 Brenderup Baron TC Horse Tailer
1996 Arab Endurance Race Horse

rowaltonjr

Castle Hayne, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with LTGill. I carry two spares, one in the normal position that is almost impossiable to get it out if the flat is on the rear (personal experience in AK)and the second on the hiden hitch on the front. In 100,000 miles of driving with a front mounted tire on our 6L GMC engine we have never had a high temputure problem. I very carefully check both engine and transmission temp.

nogo
2009 2500HD Sierra, 2008 Lance 1055
We don't do anything, but we do it real well
RV camped in 49 states, every province & territory of Canada & 2/3 0f Mexico

jponder

Atlanta & Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LTGill_FL wrote:

I came up with a similar device I made from a threaded rod and some 9/16 nuts JB welded together. However, I still hang my spare on the front of the truck for the following reasons. 1) with a flat the truck is low and getting the tire out from under the truck may not be possible. 2) SAFETY I do not want my head under the camper rear with the truck up on a jack. 3)BEEN THERE DONE THAT
Had a blow out (ran over a very large bolt) in Iowa last year. When I pulled on to the dirt shoulder, the rim/tire fragments cut deeply into the shoulder lowering the rear to the point I had to dig a hole under the axle to put my bottle jack in. While I was there with my head under the holding tank digging a hole, it was very apparent the tire could not be pulled out unless the vehicle was up on a jack; NO THANKS. I was very glad I had my spare in a hidden hitch receiver and bracket on the front; easy and safe access. .. LT

LT, I thought you were going to give up on sissified tires and get you some REAL TIRES! Get you some monster tires and forget about spares. I dont even carry a jack anymore, my son used it the other day and i told him to keep it.

You could put you a scooter, bicycles, or a garden box to grow GREENS on front of the truck and get you an aux fuel tank for where your spare was underneath. You might need the spare tank if you still think there is a "sweet spot" for the cummins.

Man if you are carrying 2 spares, you need some RICKSONS!!!!!!

SPACE SHUTTLE
2001 4X4 ETH/DEE Reg Cab
Ricksons 285/70R19.5
US Gear Ex Brake
*NO CRUISE CONTROL!!! *
*MANUAL THROTTLE CABLE for 21.3MPG!*
*DRW WORST NIGHTMARE MONSTER TRUCK!*
Camper:
94 Lance EU2000
11700 gw tc+t.
Soon:
Cat Heat& MO BATTERIES!!

LTGill_FL

Lake City, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JPonder; you are a never ending source of humor. I contemplated putting a set of Rickson's on my truck when I was considering buying the Lance 1030. However,
Sara and I did not see where the 1030 would do us any better then the 915 we presently own. In the end we saved big $$ not buying the 1030 and another $3K not buying rickson wheels and tires. My only flat was caused by a 3/8 dia bolt about 6" long that was driven through the tire head first. I am not convinced your heavy duty 80 zillion ply tires would have survived that event. Besides, for $3K I can buy a lot of SISSIFIED tires and continue to plant my greens in the back 40 where they belong.

As for the front mounted tire, I have put over 30K miles on this setup, much of it in 90+ deg weather runing the AC with no hint of over heating. No doubt the Cummins coupled to a 5 spd manual tranny helps the temperature issue.

PS: I have already tilled my collard green and rudagbaga plot in anticipation of next years "Southern Comfort TC Ralley". "GOT GREENS?"

ramlinwillie

Littleton CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/05 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made the same set up also, probably never need it.

04 F250 FX4 CC Lariat SB, Rhino Lining 6.0L V-8 Diesel TorqShift auto Camper Package-Rear Stabilizer Bar,Aux Springs, Rancho RS900X, Timbrems, Goodyear 245/70R19.5G, Pullrite SuperGlide, 2005 CedarCreek Silverback,2003 F350, 2007 Outfitter Apex 9.5

Akita

Blanchard, Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've went the way of the front hidden hitch & tire holder, overall I'm pretty pleased on having the tire reachable, where it was before I could not crank it down w/o having to move the camper off some to gain access to the crank hole.

'03 Dodge Quadcab 3500 HO CTD, Edge/Juice w/Alt, 4x4 4.10 auto DRW w/fleetpride overload springs, RS9000X's
'04 Lance 1121, with the works! 250 watts solar
Tork lift camper tie downs, cab over shocks, Tork extension hitch, front Hidden hitch 4 spare tire

Surf Ram

Glendora, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did close to the same, found out what size the socket was and bought an allen wrench to that size. I cut off the angle and use the allen with a socket and rachet to lower the tire. Did have to do that when a rear tire went down (no drama thank god). Had to use the camper jacks to help jack up the truck, stock jack not good enough. Got a good bottle jack now. Would still use the camper jacks to help add some safety to a scary situation.

02 Dodge 2500 standard cab 2wd CTD 6 speed
03 Summuerwind 811S

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Spare tire access with camper on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS