|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Advise for pulling into gas stations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NYYYCEandEEEEZY

The Hudson Valley or Someplace Else

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/05 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stefan wrote:

Nice n easy, any Idea if it includes Canadian info as well, I assume not as it states it is the #1 in US interstate info, but thought I'd ask..

I found this Trans-Canadian Exit info on The Next Exit website. Hope that helps!

Robert AKA: EEEEZY

You can't get us confused. I'm also "Nice", but NYYYCE is Never "Easy"!

Oldfordman

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/05 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gvdan wrote:

If I see a big gas station that looks easy to pull in as I am driving down the freeway I may pull into it even if I have a half a tank. Just makes things easier.
Ditto!

I even carry an 2 extra jugs (5-Gal) so I don't have to take my combination into a close quartered gas station. I kind of like to stop every couple of hours to stretch so gassing up no problem with me. Being retired, I don't wear a watch anymore. Trips have starting dates and return dates are decided as we go. The extra time I might spend with an extra gas stop or two are of no consequence to me anymore.

Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!">

JJLJR

Toms River

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/05 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a great topic. The only damage I did to my TT over the years was getting into gas stations that were too small for the rig.

I now use Pilot, T&A, Flying J, and newer stations such as bp or where I see signs that diesel is sold. Generally, these stations can take the longer TT and allow you to turn.

Just stop before you pull into a station and determine how you would pull out. Tight turns with a long TT can find you hitting something with the tail end of the TT. If you have to be tight, bew sure that the TT will swing AWAY from an obstruction. Do not hesitate to use your significant other to guide you out of tight spots.

John L - Toms River, NJ
2003 Savana G2500 8 Passenger Van, 6.0 V8, 3.73 Rear, Factory Tow Pkg - 2007 Sprinter Copper Canyon 2591RBS 27.7' - Reese Dual Cam Sway

Buffaloman45

Spring Valley, IL., USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/05 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my last trip I was going solo without my wife/copilot...
I couldn't read the signs on the interstates fast enough to tell what gas stations were at the next exit. My advice: Buy a copy of The Next Exit and stop at truck stops, don't let your fuel get too low, and be very, very careful at all other stations (follow the advice previously given).

duchessford

Durham, NC U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/05 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use "The Next Exit" and ALWAYS plan ahead. Had a nasty scare in NM when headwinds cut our mileage significantly and we were in the middle of nowhere running out of gas!

duchessford

bryanl

Reno, NV

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/05 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The comments about propane appliances are good to consider. Open flame near gas fumes are something to worry about. Let your rig cool down in the mountains before getting gas, too. Hot brakes and exhaust systems can also be a fire hazard. These are rather minor concerns but they have caused disasters and are something to consider.

Maneauvers can be a problem. Your trailer will track inside your truck so tight corners mean you might center the trailer on an obstacle or run its tires over a curb. Also, as noted, the rear can swing wide an possibly hit something. Have someone on guard to watch for you in tight spots if possible. Avoid any sharp turns unless desparate.

Gutters, such as at the road edge, should not be taken straight on. Cross at as much of an angle as you can. Try to get an angle so no more than one wheel at a time is in the gutter.

Make sure you remember where your gas tank is on your truck so you get close to the pump where you need to be.

Do a walkaround to check hub temperatures, tire temperature and pressure, check hitch parts and hang-on stuff (like propane tanks) for anything loose. Check windows, vents, tiedowns, locks, latches, access doors, and so on for anything not as it should be.

Bryan

rwwoods

The Villages, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/05 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The National Truck Stop Directory ($12.95) lists all truck stops in the USA. You can buy it in most any truck stop.

www.truckstops.com

hlhsafe

Smithville, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/05 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree to watch out for the yellow painted posts! I have seen them with black stripes, I know why. The only damage I have on the TT is from pulling in for gas. We have increased our bottom clearance and learned valuable lessons from past experience. The previous posts all indicate that there need not be any anxious feelings about filling-up once you take precautions.

We have 5 gall safety can and now considering getting a second can after reading this thread.
Fill-up when quarter tank down, I don't like to wait for "low on fuel", even when not towing.
Try to travel while roads are not crowded therefore less congestion at stations.
Plan well in advance.
We do not leave the refer on, we close the propane valve.
Check tires and pressure often to reduce the possibility of needing to stop for air at a station.

Howard & Josephine ">
1988 Chevy 3500
2000 Ford-150, 5.4L,3.55,Tow Pack, Eazlift WD
2002 Prowler Lynx Ultra Light 726K, loaded Wt. 5240lb
Honda Eu3000i Generator
2 mixed dogs

OldTractorNut

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/05 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you enter think of your exit. I try to position my truck were I have an easy exit even if it requires some manuvering on the entry. I prefer to be at an easy shot leaving than to nose into something that I cant get out of.

Kinda like going to a bar on the bad side of town, know where the exits are.[emoticon]

2002 F-350 PSD CC LB DRW 6WD 6spd, Reese 16K, Prodigy
2005 Keystone Laredo 29BH
Loving Wife and three great children 21, 15 and 10
">
AC B, WD
Farmall W-4, M, 140, 656hydro
JD A

MotherOwl

Northwest Louisiana (ArkLaTex)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/05 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like others have advised, make very sure you can get in and out of an area before pulling in - EVEN if it means keeping someone behind you waiting a moment while you assess the situation.

I also keep a big gas can (empty) in the back of my truck. I never want to be in the position of pulling in to the only gas station within miles, and not being able to access the pumps. I typically fill up when the gauge gets on 1/2 tank, so I've never had to use it. It's just extra insurance, especially in remote areas where there aren't any Flying J's, etc.

Mother Owl
K-Z Frontier 2405
2013 Silverado 1500
Retired teacher

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Advise for pulling into gas stations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.