RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Formula?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Formula?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/05 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a formula out there on how much weight is added to the rear of a truck, knowing the tong weight of the boat/trailer, for ever inch of hitch extension?

John H

Fishn101

Seattle WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/05 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure what your asking John but here is what I think you might be looking for.

My truck hitch from Chevy is rated at 1,000 #. According to Tork Lift, if I use an 12-18" extension I reduce the suggested tongue weight by 1/3rd leaving me with a 667# rating instead of a 1,000#

Hope this is what you were looking for. If not sorry.

Enjoy the adventure.....

You can call Torklift they are very helpful on the phone or in person.

2007-Cameo 30RLS - 2003 Chevy Silverado LT,Lg Bed,2500 HD, xtCab,4x4,DuraMax /w Alison Trans, Cab Controled Ride-Rite Air Bags, Cab Controled Rancho Shocks. BW Hitch 20' Northriver Boat

John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/05 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fish101,
In part that’s what I’m after, right now I’ve got a ¾ ton full bed Chevy carrying 9” 6” pop up camper towing on fishing trips a 371 Ranger (18”) with a welded 20” extension. Thinking about a hard side camper, now, I would like to know how much weight is multiplied down on the rear of the truck for ever inch if I have to re weld another extension for how ever inches to just get by with, or to use the one I’ve already made. This will preclude what weight/size in a camper I could watch out for. My Jayco is now primary used for fishing trips, since getting a 5th for travel

GoFish

Portland, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/05 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John H,

Sure, there's a formula. It's math. The real question should be; Do any of us doughballs here know what that formula is? I bet it has something to do with the theory of levers.[emoticon]

GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax/Allison
Torklift Super hitch and tie downs, Rancho 9000's

Greg B

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/05 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could be wrong, but I dont think an extension will multiply weight. 500 pounds of weight is still 500 pounds of weight, weather its on the bumper or extended out 4 feet. What it will do is add a whole lot of twisting force(torque) to the receiver. Which is why most upgrade to a Superhitch or Titan.

Like I said, I could be wrong.(I guess I should have paid attention in physics class)
Maybe someone here knows for sure.

04 Dodge 1 ton dually, Cummins, auto, quad cab, 4x4, SLT, Sport, Reese Titan V

04 Lance 1161, TV/DVD, high efficiency A/C, Honda EU2000

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/05 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John H wrote:

Is there a formula out there on how much weight is added to the rear of a truck, knowing the tong weight of the boat/trailer, for ever inch of hitch extension?

The easiest way to calculate the added weight on the rear axle from the tongue weight on an extended hitch is to sum the moments about the front axle; which have to equal zero.

Give me the following info and I will tell you how much force is added to your rear axle by the tongue weight:

Tongue weight = ________

Distance between truck's front axle and rear axle = _________

Distance between truck's rear axle and trailer hitch ball = _________

I assume you do not have a weight distributing hitch.

* This post was edited 03/14/06 07:52pm by BradW *

John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/05 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mod.
1. 240 Lbs.
2. 134”
3. 62” no extension, + 20” with present extension

John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/05 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any information yet?

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/05 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on the following:

Tongue weight = 240 lbs

Distance between truck's front axle and rear axle = 134”

Distance between truck's rear axle and trailer hitch ball = 62” normal / 82” w/20” extension

Assuming you do not have a weight distributing hitch.

I get:

With 240 lbs on normal hitch:
+351 lbf on the rear axle
-111 lbf on the front axle

With 240 lbs on your 20” hitch extension:
+386 lbf on the rear axle
-146 lbf on the front axle

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/05 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brad,
Thanks for the reply, with just 146lbs. more added to the rear axel I figure that that’s minimal and I can go ahead and over load the truck on looking, on the camper side. Naw, all joking aside, I was concerned, and have been, in caring the Jayco over the years and then when cranking up the tongue jack on the boat trailer how much the trucks rear dropped when using that extension. Tows fine, but even after welding male and female boxed steel together of the extension I then drilled a half inch hole for a harden pin between the two, and then ran a set of large safety tow chains to the hitches chain receiver and coupled the boats trailer chains to these chains. If any thing breaks loose back there there’s a straight connection between trailer and trucks hitch. My next inquiry/research will be the difference between a supper high rated hitch as apposed to the one that is factory, they applier to have the same box wall thickness but don’t know about bolt grades as of yet. Both are, naturally, bolted to the same points of the trucks frame.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Formula?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS