RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Ice Chest style basement floor freezer for Class B ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Ice Chest style basement floor freezer for Class B ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
LeeCaldwell

SoCal - USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/05 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there such a thing as an Ice Chest style basement floor freezer that can mount flush on the floor similar to the LTV Sprinter rear storage compartment in the spare tire location?

Something like this would meet my needs well. I like to BBQ steak while camping and tend to shop price when it's on sale rather than buy it while on the off-beat path camping. In addition, I enjoy fishing and need to freeze my catching's for transport back home. A flush floor Ice Chest style top hatch basement freezer would be ideal for these needs and would complement the small refrigerator units put in most pre-converted Class B rigs. It wouldn't need to be accessed very much at all, so rear door floor location would be fine with me.

Does such an animal exist?

2006 Honda Element EX-P 4WD with factory Cabana Tent
(1968 4x4 International Harvester Travelall backup vehicle)

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/05 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the other day i was looking for a small frezzer for a rv found a few but nothing like that,maybe theres something made like that for boats,marine use,

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

RoundSparrow

Arica, Chile

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/05 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do you intend to power it: 12 volt or Propane? Or wanting multi-way?

LeeCaldwell

SoCal - USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/05 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoundSparrow wrote:

How do you intend to power it: 12 volt or Propane? Or wanting multi-way?

Multi-way would probably be best. It would depend on what the RV has in place already. Most of the Sprinter pre-converted self contained units seem to already have propane installed, but 12V ability is surely a must. One might be able to adapt a small top access stand alone RV/marine freezer to a flush floor mount with some ingenuity???

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/05 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dunno, somebody may make one. But i can see a few problems.

AFAIK, the ammonia (heat-driven) cooling cycle pretty much _requires_ a 'chimney' & heat outlet above the cooling unit, for both the rejected heat from the reefer and the waste heat from the burner / heater. This'd be difficult to accomplish, unless it's mounted outside the frame rail so it can vent up thru the side wall.

Anything thru the floor would be exposed to the engine & road heat and grime underneath. If you used a compressor-type unit, the condenser would need to be shielded from the grime, and would be trying to reject heat into already pretty darn hot air; not a receipe for efficient operation. You could build it with a remote-mount condensor, but that's got its own set of design, cost, & installation problems.

I suspect that a well-insulated 'ice box' with some dry ice might be the best alternative.

Jim, "Beer: So much more than just a breakfast drink!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/05 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Lee,

Would something like these work? (you need to go all the way down to almost the bottom of the page...) There are three sizes, two voltage... used as either fridges or freezers... don't know if they would fit in the 'basement storage' though...

http://www.advrv.com/norcold.htm

Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

LeeCaldwell

SoCal - USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/05 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mumkin -

One of those may do the trick. A 6-7cuft refrig/freezer combo would also work, but agin (like so many other personal preferences), only Sprotsmobile offers that choice.

Funny how I keep leaning towards Sportsmobile for the options I want/need. I guess that should be telling me something...

omjones

Stoney Point, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/05 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of you guys were in the military, is there something that could be had from a military surplus store maybe???
john 'I am Canadian'

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/05 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C rats, maybe? Or K rats? [emoticon]

Jim, "No seconds for me, thanks!"

thataway

Pensacola, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/05 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used the 100 lb capacity norcold refigerator/freezers chest type, compressor 110v/12 volt for about 30 years--and am on my second one. They have been used on boats and RV's--abut the size of a 50 qt ice chest. However any freezer has to get rid of heat to stay cold. There is the basement area of the Road Trek, but the Norcol would be too large for that--and the problem of heat desipation would be still present--plus subjecting the compressor/radiator to potential road debris. They do work well in the basement of a motorhome, but there is plenty of air to circulate around the unit.

Bob and Marie Austin
Angel miniature poodle
2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PDQ
Toad 2012 GM Yukon XL 4 x 4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Ice Chest style basement floor freezer for Class B ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.