|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Stretch's Awning-On-The-Cheap

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Stretch67

USA, somewhere hereabouts...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/05 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been wanting an awning on my rig for ages, but it's hard to come up with that kind of coin, especially after buying 19.5" wheels and tires a couple months ago. So, I came up with my own design for an awning on the cheap, total cost: about 80 bucks.

The stay-poles are 8-feet long pieces of 1-inch aluminum tubing with the ends made in my shop. The outer frame tube, which the tarp is attached to with sheet-metal screws, is a ten-feet length of the same tubing. The brackets are made of 1/8" scrap sheet aluminum and MIG-welded. Handy to have the tools to do this sort of thing.

[image]

[image]
This is how the awning is attached to the top rail, which came installed from the factory. I turned three-inch long pieces of aluminum round rod to .375" diameter (3/8"), then cross-drilled each piece and tapped it #10-24. With the piece of rod slid into the awning channel, I installed and Loc-Tited a screw eye, and tightened it down so that the screw eye passed through the aluminum rod and pressed into the awning channel, preventing movement (like a set-screw). Double-ended brass snap-hooks secure a common 8'x10' green tarp to the screw eyes.

[image]
Detail of the stay-pole ends, inserted into the outer awning frame pole. The ends are cross-drilled and hitch pins inserted to prevent wind gusts from pulling the pieces apart.

[image]
Detail of the stay-pole brackets, secured to the jack bolts.

There is an extra stay-pole bracket mounted low on the front jack (with a simple hose clamp) so that I can lower one corner of the awning to shed rainwater.

It's entirely possible to put this thing together in a more simple manner than I did, but once I got going I kept revising the design to make it as sleek as possible.

Even rolled up, I don't think it's road-worthy, so I have to unclip the tarp from the camper and then roll the stay-poles up in the tarp. I think I might secure a 10-foot length of four-inch PVC pipe to the roof to store it in. It's a PITA to have it laying across the floor while you're on the road.

* This post was last edited 09/06/05 01:06pm by Stretch67 *   View edit history

1994 F-350 4x4 LB, SRW, CC, 7.5, E4OD. F & R sway bars, additional overload leafs, Ranchos. Goodyear G124's on Vision wheels. Tork-Lifts.
1997 Coachmen Ranger 100SD w/ extended cabover

Budster

Mira Loma, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/05 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very slick!!!

ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

Droland

Fort Worth, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/05 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job! Some things can be inexpensive and not look cheap. I might be copying that in the future.

2010 Ford F250
2001 Lance Lite 815
2004 Glastron SX175

bluefishgary

Middle River,MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/05 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Job and Look's GOOD to.

2015 Ram 6.4 CC DRW
2017 Vintage with living quarters 44'3 Axle
I caught a fish once -it was fun

Stretch67

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/05 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, everybody.
Droland wrote:

I might be copying that in the future.

Be my guest.
[emoticon]

Solarfry

Ft. Lauderdale, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/05 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stretch67 wrote:

I've been wanting an awning on my rig for ages, but it's hard to come up with that kind of coin, especially after buying 19.5" wheels and tires a couple months ago. So, I came up with my own design for an awning on the cheap, total cost: about 80 bucks.

The stay-poles are 8-feet long pieces of 1-inch aluminum tubing with the ends made in my shop. The outer frame tube, which the tarp is attached to with sheet-metal screws, is a ten-feet length of the same tubing. The brackets are made of 1/8" scrap sheet aluminum and MIG-welded. Handy to have the tools to do this sort of thing.
SNIP!.

Love your awning. You can also use an Overton's 10x10 white canopy cover instead of a gray or blue. It will be cooler and is guaranteed for 1 year. I use a 10x20 to cover my TC under Fl sun/rain/wind. It has survived Katrina and others. About 17 mos. old now.

Thanks for pics. Great Job!

04'Chev 2500HD 9200GVWR ExtCab LongBed 6L GAS tow pack
04' Lance 815, CP, AC, FF, MW, RE, ElectAtwoodjacs, loaded.
13.2mpg/w TC @ 55MPH tow'g 15' boat, 12 mpg @ 65-69 mph.
10@70mph. 8@75. Stock over 26k miles. All mileage before ethanol mandate in FL.

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/05 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stretch67 - You have done not only a great job (quality), but the creativity is also commendable. My guess is that you could build several more, and would discover better ways and improvements.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

vanbikehorse

Green Lane, PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/05 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stretch,

Great Job. Looks like about $300 worth of custom work there! For Rev 1, perhaps some of those telescoping twist lock poles so you could reduce the size for carrying. That should be no challenge for a man with your capabilities: poles that slide inside each other with an offset center bolt in a flat cylindrical solid piece attached to the inner pole.

PS - The wheels look sharp too!

2005 Chevy 2500HD SB X-CAB,4X4,G-80,D/A,ALCOA Wls,265/75R16E, Air Lift Sure Set, SuperSprings, RS9000x, Curt 14108.
2003 Alpenlite Laramie w/X CAB & Polar Cub A/C, Happijac FM, EU-2000.
2000 Brenderup Baron TC Horse Tailer
1996 Arab Endurance Race Horse

Stretch67

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/05 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reddog1 and VanBikeHorse,

The first revision will be to the stay-poles, as per VBH's recommendations for adjustable length. As they are, I believe they're about a foot too long, which makes the awning sit very flat. That's fine if the weather's nice and the sun is high.

But if the sun is low in that direction, having the outside edge of the awning a little lower will make more shade later in the day, and will also shed rainwater better.

Adjustable-length stay-poles will also eliminate the need for the third lower bracket used to lower one corner of the awning to shed rainwater.

Thanks for the input.

Stretch

NetBoy

Portland, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/05 01:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful work Stretch67 -- your skills are envied!!! I started to make a similar awning one time, but ran out of motivation after collecting only some of the components. I had collected 2 telescoping fiberglass paint roller extension poles that extended to about 10', a tarp, and a few other parts of hardware. Then for some reason I ended up buying a Horizon A&E can awning. I should have finished the one I was starting to make.

Again, good work!

NETBOYâ„¢
---
Visit Netboy's Camper Project's Page = Lots of mod projects to my truck and camper.

My newest rig -- 2004 Thor Chateau 21RB:

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Stretch's Awning-On-The-Cheap
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS