|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 4X4 Motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your budget or needs don't run to the extra cost of a 4x4 conversion, and you can maybe get by with just some extra traction, consider an ARB Air Locker or other positraction device.

When I first put a clutch-type posi in an old 4x4 IHC Scout 800 in the '70's, I was _amazed_ by how much off-road mobility it added using just 2WD. I've since developed a preference for the driver-controlled ARB. I assume that they make units to fit the E-350 & 450 chassis commonly used on C's.
And there's the Warn option.... add a front hitch, and mount a 12,000 lb winch on a platform that can be put on either end as needed.

Whatever you do, think about the extra flexing any MH will undergo on rough roads and trails. It's not going to be good for the seams and plumbing; how much harm it'll do depends on how rough the roads are, and how fast you go. But that kind of fun probably ain't gonna be 'free'....

Jim, "There's a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

* This post was edited 09/20/05 10:49am by Handbasket *

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Danpaine

Bucks County, Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/05 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed, on that last point. If you go to the Quigley site, there's pictures of converted vans climbing all over tall boulders. I'm pretty certain if you used a MH the same way, it would pretty much fall apart.

That's why my 4X4 is earmarked for 'flat"[emoticon] beach driving only, and at about 10 mph, max.

2016 Forest River Forester

DevinPhilips

Cloud 10, Pangea

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TTMhas been in business for many years doing off road heavy trucks for the military and utility companies.

They will convert almost any light (like GM or Ford) to heavy (like Kenworth or Peterbilt) truck to 4 or even 6 wheel drive.

I have a quote from them to convert a GM C5500 Motor Home chassis Senaca or Gulf Stream, gas or diesel for $12,695.00... that is using all new GM 4X4 parts.

Now, if I could just find a MH builder to do a C5500 chassis less than 32 to 36 feet long!! [emoticon]

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/05 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call Quigley directly and ask for the dealerships that sell the converted 4x4 motorhomes. They have several and one big one up in New Jersey. I have a 28' FourWinds that I had converted and it has been on the Outer Banks over 15 trips so far....quite impressive and the best fun you'll have on the beach. Also, it drives better than stock and have taken it to Disney World this summer and to the mountains this past spring. A true "all-terrain" vehicle with all the comforts of home!

Flyfisherman128

Broadalbin, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/05 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok lets pretend i stick $15,000 into my 22' Winnie class a. I can honestly tell you, from an ex-offroaders stand point, there is no ground clearance under my rv that would make this conversion worth while. My hitch hits going into my driveway. To truly go off roading by a Unicat.

Danpaine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/05 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the Quigley website. I've got a conversion on my 28' Class C, and the clearance underneath is pretty generous. I think it would cost you about $9,000.

Danpaine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/05 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you lower your tire pressure and keep it slooow and easy, there's no problem with C's on the beach; like with any other beach vehicle, watch out for the softer sand, watch your speed, and it's fine. Lots of "K" turns, when turning around with a C.

Most problems with folks driving on the beach arise when they keep their tires fully inflated and drive too fast on soft sand - but then again, they're most likely the folks you don't mind watching get stuck - [emoticon]

Flyfisherman128

Broadalbin, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/05 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out this site 4x4 class a the trailmaster is pretty cool. This for sure has peaked my interest. Just saw the pricing $780,000...I'm just $779,130.82 short. Funny thing...I never saw a 4x4 RV before but this afternoon I was parked next to one in Johnstown NY.

* This post was edited 10/19/05 06:27am by Flyfisherman128 *

Danpaine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/05 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow - I thought I had a cool rig. The guys at Island Beach State Park would drop dead if they saw one of those cruising down the beach...

TonyMin

Walnut Creek CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/05 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do C's get stuck on the beach easy? It would seem with the duals in the back traction would be pretty good. I had a 4x4 truck and rarely really needed it. I put it in 4x4 mostly to exercise it.

'98 Shasta Cheyenne 280 highrise, widebody

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 4X4 Motorhomes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.