RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: not all Alcoa aluminum wheels?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> not all Alcoa aluminum wheels?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jbr3rd

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've just purchased a new Gulfstream Super C motorhome built on the Chevy Kodiak chassis. I paid for the Alcoa aluminum wheels option thinking each aluminum wheels is approx. 30# lighter than steel. By my calculation 6 X 30# meant and extra 180 # of carrying capacity. Now I'm distrubed to realize it's really only 4 aluminum wheels plus two steel wheels. It seems the inside rear wheels on the dualie are steel. Did I get ripped off or is this the way it is on all rigs appearing to have aluminum wheels?

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, the manufacturers use steel wheels for the inside position on the duels. I suppose you could pay for two more, but they are not normally included in the option. JMHO

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/05 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator will no doubt jump in on this, but if I recall from earler threads, the vehicle's rear wheel studs will not accommodate pairs of Alcoas. Basically, wheels too thick. That was at least on the Ford E450s many of us have. But riddle me this - Neighbor has a late model 39' Winnebago diesel pusher on Freightliner chassis. I looked through the outside rear outer Alcoas and guess what? White steel wheels.
So maybe there's a way to mount six, but four seems much more common.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

raytasch

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/05 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, you only get four. I just sold a mid level DP and it had 4 Alcoas. I've looked at a lot of mid--high end DPs over the years and I can not recall seing aluminum wheels used on the inside dual position on any of them. The spare, if one, will be steel, also.
ray
MW 31C
Jeep Wrangler towed
Yeah, brakes, breakaway, all that important stuff.

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/05 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

same here inside duel is steel,the rest all aluminum,spare is steel

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

Wizzard_of_Odds

Northern Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/05 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased the Alcoas as an option on my F350 dually pickup a few years ago and I was pretty surprised that it was only 4 alloys with the inside duals being steel also.

A friend of mine had a tow truck with Alcoas on it also, his had 4 alloys and 2 steels also.

So it would appear to me that it's common practice.

I couldn't say if additional alloys would fit on the insides, but from everything I have read the alloy wheel option is purely cosmetic, so it would make sense that they only include the wheels that show.

...Wiz

1994 Jayco 23' E350 7.5
Thorley headers, Intellipower 9160, Bilsteins, Brembo brakes, K&N filters, Mobil 1, Satellite TV & Internet & WAP, MP3-CD, Generac 5KW, Kipor KGE3500TI, Honda EZ2500

2005 Four Winns Horizon 190 (fully loaded)

cembm1

Cumberland County, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/05 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is common place to have steel wheels on the insides. I worked for a Tractor/Trailer Tire Fleet Service and most of our clients had steel on the inside w/Alcoa's on the outsides. You can however pickup a used set of aluminum budds and have them but on the inside. You will have to have the studs replaced. Its not really a big job. I've probably done it several dozen times if not hundreds of times.
YMMV

MH-2005 Jayco 28zslp on chevy 6.0l chassis.
1 loving wife, two active boys
& 1 black camping lab

Old setup
TV-2002 Ford Explorer
TT-2004 Travelstar 23SRG

kwagner

Torrance, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/05 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding the Alcoa wheels being only "cosmetic". I was also interested in these 1) For the weight reduction, but also very interested in 2) The trueness of the rim I understand to be more true cold and espeicially as they heat up. This results in better tire wear and along with the reduced weight, decreases rolling resistance, thus a small mileage increase.

Can anyone else confirm the second point, ie: better trueness of the rim?

Thanks,

Karl

The Wagners
Bigfoot 29SL
Suzuki Vitara toy hauler
Training for Retirement

Wizzard_of_Odds

Northern Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/05 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion regarding weight and trueness is that they are probably both true benefits of alloy wheels. I personally wouldn't want them on a heavy truck because I hit a curb in my F350 and one of the front wheels (Alocoa) shattered like glass and caused a bunch of damage, had the wheel been steel it probably would have just blown the tire and bent the rim.

I guess there are benefits either way, but I wouldn't think that the weight & trueness issues would make enough of a difference to really justify the cost.

With all of that said, I've put aftermarket alloy wheels on all of our regular cars, and they were all purchased for cosmetic reasons alone. Although I suppose I could justify some of the cost because I use the OEM wheels to run snow tires during the winter.

...Wiz

Don 399

Blue Ash Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/05 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I have first hand experience with Alcoa wheels on my class C... I installed a set of Hot Shot Alcoa`s just for "looks" and was amazed with the ride improvement[emoticon] I took the wife out for a drive and did not say a thing just to make sure it was not just me...she turned to me a said what else did you do?...were the ride was improved was on the sharp edged bumps/expansion joints the bang,bang was just about gone..using the same tires and both steel wheels and Alcoa`s were balanced and phased matched by myself using a RFV balancer. Also yes my inside duals are still the steel wheels.

Don Connors
97 Jamboree Searcher
29Z V-10 Quad Bunk

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> not all Alcoa aluminum wheels?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.