RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Aerolite, Jayco, Kodiak owners. Bent Norco frames, read this

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Aerolite, Jayco, Kodiak owners. Bent Norco frames, read this

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pakrause

Southern Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/05 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure that I am proud to say it but I am a Kodaik owner. You can see what I have in my sig. So far so good! TT has been out on 6 trips and that is it for the summer. Getting ready to winterize now. It is going back to the dealer to be Winterized for free. Got 3 years of it for free when I negotiated the deal. Believe me though the dealer is going to check the frame on mine good. What they put me through to get the right one ordered they don't want to hear one negative thing from me anymore. I do have a few minor warranty things for them to address. I looked under mine today to see if I could see any frame issues and all looks good to me. The only thing that has really bugged me is that the fresh water tank sags when it is filled up. Not enough support in the flimsy single cross member under the tank. That will be taken care of or I will be raising Holy H*ll.
This whole frame thing has me tweaked. I thought I did enough research on the trailers when we purchased this one and now look what is going on. Up until this year we always saw quite a few Kodiaks around on the road and in the campgrounds. Dealer tells me that they are one of their best sellers and they carry at least 5 different lines. Like you said the resale value just went to s*it on all the trailers with Norco frames. Such is my luck!

2007 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L V8 Hemi
TV-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.7L V8 Hemi 3.92 Gears with factory tow
5'er-2008 R-Vision Max Lite ML285BH
Voyager Brake Controller, RBW Little Rocker Slide Hitch

oldbanjo

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/05 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How can I tell if I have a Norco frame?

My tt is a 2005 jayfeather 26s. Nothing in the paperwork says anything about Norco.
Rick

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/05 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

05chevy53 wrote:

I watched the above video link...the reporter did not "embellish" anything.

Wellllll....yes, in a subtle way, they did. They showed several different trailer brands/models obviously being bought and hauled away by FEMA, all the while talking about the defective frames in the background. Kind of implying, ALL those trailers could be a potential problem. Nothing could be further from the truth.

For one example, notice they specifically showed a Jayco Eagle model. I can PROMISE you, the Eagle (as well as many other models they showed) do NOT have one of those BAL frames underneath it. The Eagle is one of Jayco's top-of-the-line models, and has a conventional frame under it, not a lightweight one.

You know, they made this whole story about FEMA buying all these trailers, that supposedly have a weak frame. Guess what FEMA does with these trailers? They are hauled once, straight to where they are needed for temporary housing, set up (relatively) permanent there, and are not moved again until no longer needed. Given that use, its quite possible none of the hurricane victims would ever have a problem with the frame anyway, since the trailer will not travel at all. Now, the poor soul that buys it later on used, that will be a different story.

Once again, don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting that this problem does not exist, nor am I condoning the manufacturer's behavior, of basically denying this problem. In a way its good that this came out in the news, it will make the guilty manufacturers address this issue. We all know RV manufacturers in general need a few good wake-up calls like this.

Sad part that I hate is, due to the subtle way the news story implied so many different trailers brands are affected (that are not), it will hurt a lot of other (innocent) RV manufacturers and their customers as well. This is what frequently happens when the news/media get involved in these things. In order to make it 'news-worthy', they have to imply the problem is much bigger than it really is.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

TimfromBama

here

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/05 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are there any reports of problems with the new aluminum frames being used today? I know they claim that the aluminum frame is stronger than steel, but, if that were true, then, why are auto frames still steel? Why isn't an aircraft carrier made of aluminum instead of steel?

Also, is this part of the frames that some companies mention use the same construction methods as in the Hummer with the riveted box connections?

I think I will stick to good old boxed steel frames myself. The less holes punched or drilled the better, also. From this picture, the frame looks more like an erector set than a true frame.

Tim from Alabama

Lundman

Huntington,In

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/05 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You take chances with whatever you buy,be it a TT,truck,or whatever.
There's always that possibility that one guy can go out and buy,for
example,a new '05 Ford F-150 and there not be a thing wrong with the
truck,and the next guy come along and buy the next one on the lot,
and wind up with brake system problems that ends up causing a wreck.
And like you say,the media gets a hold of it,and has a ball plastering it all over the news about the problem and Ford's sales go down the tubes. The same with a TT,motorhome,etc. Though I do not yet own an RV of any kind,I will not let this news stop me from purchasing one,...be it Jayco,Aerolite,or whatever. While we are on the subject,what kind of problems are the bent frames causing? Are
they,the manufacturers,saying what it is.

maddog77

Grand Haven, Mi

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/05 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I work in the steel industry. Just looking at that frame from above pic, I can reasonably assume that it's junk. Give me good 'ol welded structural steel tubing & beams!
These frames won't be around much longer. I really can't believe the designers came up w/ that for the intended purpose. No thanks. Some body really screwed up.

God, family & camping freinds forever! SMS

'04 SunnyBrook Solanta 3310
'05 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/ 5.7 Hemi V8

Campcrazy

Ft Worth, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/05 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sure looks like my keystone zeppelin frame. My zepp is 30'11" from hitch to bumper.

2004 Chevy 1500 CC 5.3L 3.73
Rancho 9000's on the rear
Tuning with DiabloSport Predator
2005 Zeppelin Z271 by Keystone.
2004 Springdale 189FL by Keystone. Traded in.
Yamaha 2800

JimInMich

Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/05 02:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll also post this in the 1st thread. Here is what the frame in question looks like:
[image]

It is a stamped frame with oval hole cut-out running along the sides.

* This post was edited 09/30/05 06:50pm by an administrator/moderator *

Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.

corgihauler

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/05 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldbanjo wrote:

How can I tell if I have a Norco frame?

My tt is a 2005 jayfeather 26s. Nothing in the paperwork says anything about Norco.
Rick

Hi Rick. Our frame has BAL visibly stamped on the top of the frame in the area between the front of the trailer and hitch. You might try looking there.

You might find out on the Jayfeather site or in paperwork that came with your trailer.

* This post was edited 09/30/05 10:02pm by corgihauler *

corgihauler
truck & tt

indiana* iowa* ohio* tennessee* georgia* florida

Lundman

Huntington,In

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/05 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Though I just posted a reply,I just had a question come to mind. How do you tell if the frame is Norco,or BAL? And what does BAL stand for anyway?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Aerolite, Jayco, Kodiak owners. Bent Norco frames, read this
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.