|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Buying a former rental from the RV dealer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/05 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tailgate often at football games and races and I have to say no way would I buy a rental. There might be some that are ok but I have seen them puked in, 10 people on the roof, driven over culverts, smoked in, awnings forced shut because they didn't know how to change the ratchet, windows left open in the rain, driven wide open and more. Basically treated like, well, a rental. It doesn't seem worth the gamble. Besides, I think there are going to be deals around when people get tired of paying $3.50 a gallon.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

angel3

Mastic beach, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/05 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my Tioga at a RV show and got it at almost half price. It listed at 75000. With taxes I paid 50,000

Loves2RV

On the road full-time - In Mesa, AZ for the winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/05 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I manage an RV rental company & I can honestly say that we are very particular about maintaining ours. We get customers from several other rental companies in the area. Once they see how new and well maintained ours are, they would never go back to the others. We do occasionally get customers that believe in the "Why Be Gentle, It's a Rental" concept and they are charged accordingly. I would ask to see the maintainence log for that unit and also have it checked out by reputable mechanic.

Bob - Driver
Nancy - Navigator

2005 King Ranch F350 CC DRW 6.0 PSD FX4
50 gal. TransferFlow aux. fuel tank
Line-X bedliner
Integrated Prodigy brake controller
2004 Keystone Everest 343L
RotoChoks ~~~ C-Betr mirrors
Splendide 2100
Big Foot Levelers ">

prchoudh

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/05 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was buying my MH, the Winnebago dealer was trying to get me to buy from their rental fleet telling me what a "great deal" I could get on one. I told him that I was not interested because I was not sure how it was treated. He told me not to worry as their rental screening criteria is real strict. That was hogwash they will rent to anyone.

Keep in mind that people who rent, often times its their first time. They are not used to driving big vehicles. They forget to add toilet chemical to the tank. They flush stuff down the tank that they are not aware of. I remember going to campsites and seeing some of the rental units getting abused.

I would buy used from a private party before I bought from a rental company. In my opinion, the rental car companies are no different from the rental RV companies. I have driven rental RV units in the past and they all had problems because of their misuse.

2006 Fleetwood Tioga 31M(Bilsteins,Safe-T Plus,BANKS,K&N filter,Hellwig Sway Bars,Blue Ox Aventa,US GEAR Unified Tow Brake)
2006 Chevrolet HHR
2006 PT Cruiser Turbo
1 Child & 3 dogs(2 Border Collies and 1 Cocker Spaniel)

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/05 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you buy an ex-rental have the roof A/C, dash A/C, genset, all appliances, awning, plumbing and holding tanks/valves checked out for damage and proper operation. Look for evidence of repairs due to backing into things, underside damage due to tires coming apart, leak damage repairs or leaks, and damage to the roof from people standing on it.If tires are over 5 years old, they should be replaced for your safety and safety of your rig's underside parts.
I would want the entire brake system checked out and repaired as needed including brake fluid flush and replacement. All hose and belts/rubber goods should be replaced. I would also want parts and labor no-deductible warranty coverage on the engine, transmission and cooling system unless you can take it on a trip to test it out on long grades, hot weather. Good luck with whatever you buy!

ClassCRV

Valencia, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/05 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a one year old Jamboree rental (34k miles) and have owned it for about 13 years now. Was very happy with the deal and have been pleased with it ever since. Things do go wrong though. I recommend an extended warranty.
The only suprise we encountered was that the loan company would not give us a good deal on the interest rate due to the high miles for a one year old RV. I will probably buy a rental again as long as the service records are available.

92 Jamboree Class C 24ft.

TonyMin

Walnut Creek CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/05 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have it checked out but changing all belts and hoses on a two year old unit seems pretty excessive. I wouldn't worry about 40k miles. I would worry about 85k miles.

'98 Shasta Cheyenne 280 highrise, widebody

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Buying a former rental from the RV dealer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.