|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter factory visit

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gregorya

Torrance, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/05 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Testudo wrote:

I have emails into Outfitter but have not heard back yet as to what we can expect to see.

I've found email to be hit or miss. Call and ask talk to Brian. He seems pretty easy going to me. Call him again if you forgot to ask him a question.

I think he spends most of his time on the factory floor, working.

Anticipating delivery of our new Apex 9.5 in about a week!

Greg

"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks."
Daniel Boone

2006 Silverado LT 2500HD, 4WD, CC, SB, D/A
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Neverhappy

Europe

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/05 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there done that, Pop Ups are a costly PITA, why dont you get a low profile hard sided TC ?

Ron

Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

gregorya

Torrance, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/05 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neverhappy wrote:

Been there done that, Pop Ups are a costly PITA, why dont you get a low profile hard sided TC ?

Ron

It's all just a matter of perspective. For many of us, the effort to set-up and take-down our pop-ups is insignificant. And, as has been discussed elsewhere, the clearance gained, the weight saved, and the open layout can't be had any other way.

If different things didn't appeal to different people, we'd all be driving Class A's.

blindhog

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/05 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PS is intended to mean Power Stroke. As for the other interpretations, my experience has been very positive for this power train as have my friends.
Pop-up camper is simply a matter of personal choice. Good products come in all sizes and configurations. Thanks for the well wishes.

blindhog

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/05 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Testudo wrote: What options do you plan to get to configure your Apex 8??? Give us all the 'dirt'! Welcome and good luck on your trip.[/quote] Apex 8 configuration is not totally decided, but will get A/C (this is Texas after all), electric jacks, awning and Torklift tie-downs as a minimum. Looking for sources to purchase generator, battery charger isolator and good batteries. Any ideas?

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

gregorya

Torrance, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/05 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blindhog wrote:

Apex 8 configuration is not totally decided, but will get A/C (this is Texas after all), electric jacks, awning and Torklift tie-downs as a minimum. Looking for sources to purchase generator, battery charger isolator and good batteries. Any ideas?

Apex comes standard with the electric jacks, a good (so I hear) charger/isolator and choice of a single group 27/dual 6Vs, which can be swapped out for other (bigger?) batteries.

I don't know how much would be saved in getting the generator from other sources. Their markup seems resonable.

Best of luck, and I'm sure you'll learn a lot on your factory trip!

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/05 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gregorya wrote:

I don't know how much would be saved in getting the generator from other sources. Their markup seems resonable.

Ditto... You can get the Honda EU2000i for down around $900 street price but the Outfitter price includes configuring a compartment for it so I wouldn't sweat getting it direct from Outfitter, myself.

Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

blindhog

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/05 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Testudo wrote:

gregorya wrote:

Ditto... You can get the Honda EU2000i for down around $900 street price but the Outfitter price includes configuring a compartment for it so I wouldn't sweat getting it direct from Outfitter, myself.

Sound advice. Looks like I'll get the honda.

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/05 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=blindhog]Looking for sources to purchase generator, battery charger isolator and good batteries. Any ideas? [/quote] Actually, yes! I was trying to get around to posting this on the other Outfitter topic but now that you bring it up... I'm going to spec a Hellroaring Technologies BIC-75150A battery isolator [url=Hellroaring website]http://www.hellroaring.com[/url] for our Caribou. The battery isolator that I _think_ Outfitter is currently using is a solenoid type which even the manufacturer (of the isolator) denigrates!!! The BIC-75150A can be put in the RV itself without an increase in wire gauge from the alternator (it doesn't have to be so close to the alternator as solenoid and diode types do). I don't plan to use it other than for the camper batteries but if you plan to add another truck battery, it might make better sense for you to place it under the hood (to facilitate use with the back up battery when the camper is off). Installed in the RV, you can still run back to the camper and flip the switch to give your starting battery a boost. When the starting battery is 'dead', it probably entails a 15-30 minute wait for the 'dead' battery to absorb some 'juice' from the house batteries, anyway. For that reason I wouldn't bother to install the selector switch in the cab of the truck. Also, the 30 amp output Centurion converter that Outfitter uses is a 'slug'. I even found another RVing forum where 95% of the posts were about problems with Centurion converters!!! (I'm just _barely_ exaggerating, here!) The biggest problem that I see for our use is that it only has a 'trickle' charger. With serious use, your batteries are just going to get further and further behind the 'eight ball' -- never charging to 100% (every time you turn around your house batteries are going to be _dead_ and their life shortened). I'm sure that people that hardly ever remote camp or just weekend camp, never severely test the Centurion's charging capabilities so they probably don't realize it's not doing anything. Especially after upgrading to the T105 6 volt batteries, I want a three-stage charging unit and enough output amps to get those batteries 100% charged and in the least amount of time. I could go to a 60 amp output unit (8+ max input amps) but I have to balance the possibility of the Polar Cub air conditioner (9.0 amps) and 'hungry' batteries to be drawing at the same time from the HONDA EU2000i (13.3 rated amps; 16.7 amps max). The input amps could be tight there without going to 'dueling' HONDAs ($$$). I'm now thinking about compromising and using a 45 amp output converter unit (6 max input amps). Running cool at 75% of output capacity, it would provide a big 20+ amp 'punch' to the batteries while leaving a few DC amps to run the refrigerator and overhead drains (CO detector, gas detector, etc.). PROGRESSIVE DYNAMICS [url=converters]www.progressivedyn.com/power_converters.html[/url] makes the 45 amp output Intelli Power converter (PD9145A) and they have an inexpensive three-stage charger (The Charge Wizard) that plugs into it. They also make a 30, 40, 60, and 80 amp output unit in the same 9100 series. The T105's can probably safely draw down 50 amps but they would welcome 20 amps. 'Steve_in_29' should probably go directly to a PD9160A model since he has two EU2000i's. I'm thinking that it will solve his converter versus ambient air temperature problems, too. What is Outfitter using for a 'front panel'? I believe they utilize automotive type fuses rather than 12 volt circuit breakers (correct or not?). That is something else I would want to change. I think PROGRESSIVE DYNAMICS makes a front panel with circuit breakers. I haven't had time to give the subject much thought, though. I don't think the Hellroaring unit costs any more than the Outfitter optional solenoid isolator. If Outfitter can't quote a reasonable price on the Hellroaring unit, I would consider just installing it myself (if I lived as close as Texas). As far as the old-style converter -- that has _got_ to go! Even if you do it yourself when you get home. For my money, it is a bigger chunk of metal and takes some organizing in the electronics bay, so, easier to cooperate with Outfitter on that substitution. There is very little 'street' price difference (10's of dollars) between various output amperages. I think most sellers are throwing in the optional three-stage battery charger for free, now (about a $25 item). I think 'Netboy' used an Intelli Power PD9160 in his converter replacement viewable on his most excellent website. _He_ might have better insights into the tradeoffs than I have so maybe he will arrive like a wizard and give us some good advice.... [waiting].........................................[still waiting].... I believe RV converters usually are designed around two output units -- one for household 12 volt draws and then another unit for the charging activities. Somehow the converter arbitrates the available power. It might be simple where the first unit takes precedence or there may be programmable arbitration in some units [shrug]. How about it 'Netboy'? Our brains are wide-open and ready to suck out your wisdom. Another cheap substitution you might want to consider is the dual fuel hot water heater (same component supplier as Outfitter's -- see _other_ Outfitter topic for description). I like to call it the 'dueling' fuel version. It runs on propane; it runs on electricity; it runs on BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!!! For less than $50 (street), this substitution can 'goose' your hot water heating time. I figure you can get 6 gallons heated in about 20-plus minutes instead of 40-plus. Gives you a backup fuel capability as well. Keep in mind that the gas heats the water faster. Note that Outfitter seems pretty willing to customize your camper (every Outfitter camper is made for an individual buyer -- they don't build speculative units). While these electrical system substitutions are not as well established as say, the Tundra refrigerator substitution, I would bring these ideas up with the Wards when you start talking 'turkey' and see what they can do for you. I'm sure Outfitter made their component choices with a mind toward what they thought would give the camper a lower entry price but if you are going to the trouble to buy expensive generators, isolators, and batteries, why not upgrade _all_ the electrical components so the parts will add up to something actually useful?!?!?! My trip to Outfitter has been postponed until the first week of December :( . Can't rest... until in the soft embrace... of a Caribou!

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

gregorya

Torrance, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/05 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Testudo wrote:

....The battery isolator that I _think_ Outfitter is currently using is a solenoid type which even the manufacturer (of the isolator) denigrates!!!....

I thought they were now using the Smart Charger/Isolater (I forgot the brand.) Perhaps that is only on the Apexes (Apexi?)

I haven't looked into it recently (and have since forgotten the model details,) but I recall reading only favorable comments. I was even thinking of replacing the unit in my Phoenix with one.

All the same, thanks for the food for thought. This goes into my "things to consider at a later date" file.

Cheers,
Greg

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter factory visit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.