|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter factory visit

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/05 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dirstu:

I think that your comment on Ford PST vs. Duramax was made tongue 'n cheek, no?

If I'm not mistaken, the 2006 Duramax/Ally combo was the most powerful in every respect bar none among the Light and Medium Duty trucks?

Perhaps Ford will come out with something comparable in 2007?

The new 2006 Dmax/Ally cooling system improvements I would imagine should make it as reliable as the CTD now is on heavy long pulls? The only downfall I can see with the Chevy Duramax/Ally is the 4x4 transfer-case POTENTIAL low tranny fluid issue: you absolutely MUST check the transfer case's Dexron III level at least 4~5 times a year watching for misting/seal leaks, and keep it toped-up to the threads of the filler hole at all times. If you let the fluid drop even a little, the corner of one of the square internal tranny oil pump bosses is prone to moving (e.g. one of the 4 oil pump tab bosses at the metal retainer and spacer can shear through the High Impact Manufacturing's aluminum housing/casing making a hole ans spraying your TC oil out rather quickly) ! Apparently, this is a flaw with the High Impact transfer cases.

That's about it....

* This post was edited 10/22/05 08:09pm by silversand *

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

mjgcamper

Nowhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/05 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do alot of reading on 12 volt systems, and gotta' say NetBoy, thank you very much for the great complitation and good reading. Great to read, especially about the wet cell deep cycle battery recommendation. It is hard to find a manufacturer that really builds a true deep cycle battery. There are anly about two or three companies that do. Trojan is one and Surett is the only other that I'm aware of. I think they are on the east coast.

Mike in Beavercreek, with the older Cummins (no serious metal fatigue yet) and Northern-Lite camper.

Peace and Good will to all,
don't forget country roads,
try travel em' all.

jcluff

AZ/UT

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/05 11:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Everyone,

I just visited the Outfitter factory yesterday. I'm actually still in Colorado visiting various TC related sites. I just thought I would drop a note in this thread regarding what I saw and learned.

-Brian spent at least an hour and a half with my wife and me, a couple of Truck and Camper newbies, answering any and all of our questions. He was quite generous with his time, didn't rush anything, gave us his full attention, and offered basically to let us hang out all day if we wanted. We were there to see the campers up close and also to run a long list of questions, ideas, and requests by them.

-Luckily for us, there was someone picking up a brand new Apex 9.5 (is he on this board?) and so were were able to see the model we are considering up close. there was also an Apex 8 about 3/4 done that we were able to check out.

A couple new things I learned (I'm basing this on memory of my conversation so be sure to confirm any of this with Outfitter as I'm not sure if it's "official" or my memory may be in error):
-At least on the Apex (not sure about Caribou) they are now doing as standard a fiberglass "shell" on the bottom of the camper. It really looks great. No more black wood exposed. It's all solid clean white fiberglass.
-They may have switched to a different kind of Isolator and it is now standard, no extra charge.
- They have switched to a new type of converter that includes a 60 or 90 Amp three stage charger. This is also standard.
-Brian also mentioned something about prices going up on January 1st (no big suprise I guess) so if you are thinking about ordering soon that's something to consider.

Brian was very willing to at least consider of my special requests, both small and crazy. They can't or won't do anything of course but he seemed very happy to do what they thought was possible. He is even looking into a couple of completely new ideas I had for my camper, to see if they can do it for me.

One last thing....these puppies are expensive $$$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[emoticon]

* This post was edited 10/25/05 09:24am by jcluff *

Steve_in_29

St Johns, AZ (SEMPER FI)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/05 12:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jcluff wrote:

.....-At least on the Apex (not sure about Caribou) they are now doing as standard a fiberglass "shell" on the bottom of the camper. It really looks great. No more black wood exposed. It's all solid clean white fiberglass.
Nice, I didn't like the exposed wood so I had mine LineX'd but the fiberglass would have been nicer.

Quote:

Brian was very willing to at least consider of my special requests, both small and crazy. They can't or won't do anything of course but he seemed very happy to do what they thought was possible. He is even looking into a couple of completely new ideas I had for my camper, to see if they can do it for me.
What were your "special request"? What kind of "new" ideas did you come up with?

Quote:

One last thing....these puppies are expensive $$$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!![emoticon]
Tell me about it. But my only regret is that I didn't go with a long bed truck so that I could have gotten the 9.5

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

blindhog

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/05 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I'm back and the tour was great. I arrived in Longmont Friday morning and met with Brian Ward who took me around the plant to see campers in various stages of completion. They have a small fabrication shop, where each camper is hand built to each orders' individual specifications. Brian took me through a nearly complete Apex 8 camper to review the materials and equipment used in the camper. They are in the process of expanding into an adjoining space to acquire much needed room for expansion. I did like the assembly methodology for the walls, they have a large vacuum press that clamps the panels and frame together to create a diaphragm panel that is quite stiff/strong.
After talking with Brian and asking a lot of questions, I placed an order for an Apex 8 with A/C, Honda gen, 8' awning, dual 6-volt batteries (T125), electric jacks, extended cabover, Tundra refer and expandable rear steps. I plan to purchase a propane conversion kit for the Honda. I'm still debating about the solar panels to keep the batteries topped off.
Delivery is scheduled for early Dec. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we will drive up to Colorado and pick up the camper and go for a shakedown cruise in the Rockies before heading home.
To my great disappointment, I forgot my digital camera so I do not have pics of the trip. I will see if I can remember to bring it with me for pickup of camper.
All in all, I feel very confident in the quality of materials and fabrication of Outfitters' product.

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/05 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks _much_, Netboy, for dropping by and checking up on our shaky science [grin!]. I knew if we wished with all our might and clicked our toes together three times, you would come!

Silversand wrote:

The above is an intimate slice of our daily life on the road; I feel a bit like perhaps Ozzy O. does when cameras follow the 'family's' daily doings...

Ooh! La! La! Imagine my shock to get this intimate glimpse of Francophone life! I had to block that post in case impressionable youth wandered into my house!

...Seriously, I appreciate the analytical value of camping routines but I understand exactly how you feel! We Anglo-types don't have much reserve [shrug] so it is hard for us to understand and empathize. For us, recounting every detail of our daily lives is like slicing bread. Consider 'Blog-gate' [grin!].

I guess the closest French television comes to _reality_ television is "French in Action" -- _love_ that Mireille!!! But, unlike the guy in the FedEx television commercial, I _do_ get 'French' benefits!

[EDIT: spelling]

* This post was edited 10/26/05 12:38pm by Testudo *

Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

jcluff

AZ/UT

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/05 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve_in_29 wrote:

Nice, I didn't like the exposed wood so I had mine LineX'd but the fiberglass would have been nicer.

What were your "special request"? What kind of "new" ideas did you come up with?

Tell me about it. But my only regret is that I didn't go with a long bed truck so that I could have gotten the 9.5

Oh I had a lot of special requests, and I copied a lot your enhancements Steve. I haven't ordered yet, but I asked about several things such as electric/gas water heater, the Tundra 4.2 fridge, extra water tank, custom specified solar system, the T-145s, extra ext. lights, and extra outlets. I also asked about specifing a specific water pump, tv antenna, a blank tank risne system, yackima racks, and an exterior coaxial hookup from the antenna.

The "new" stuff I mentioned were just some inquiries I had that I didn't think they had done before such as the exterior "sena tank" tank monitors, a second hide a bunk, and a fan system to circulate air to the basement for times when I'm heating from a source other than the furnace, and a few other little things in relation to avoiding full winterization requirements.

Steve_in_29

St Johns, AZ (SEMPER FI)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/05 11:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blindhog wrote:

....I plan to purchase a propane conversion kit for the Honda.....
You might want to rethink this. Propane is after all in relatively limited supply on a TC (single 20lb tank in this case). My thoughts on this are that propane should be reserved for the things that HAVE to have it: furnace, stove, oven, and to a lesser extent water heater (can have electric element run from generator) as this maximizes your ability to stay out.

Quote:

....I'm still debating about the solar panels to keep the batteries topped off.....
For the same reason stated above, you should go with the largest solar setup you can afford. I recommend a minimum of 200W and an MPPT type controller. This will also cut down on the need to run the generator to keep the batteries charged.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/05 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New fiberglass tub on Apex:

Nice! But(!), is it really a fiberglass tub (i.e. fully molded like a boat), or is it a Filon cladding pressure glued onto the existing epoxy/fiberglass coated wood? Can you confirm?

I am planning a major upgrade to our coated wooden tub on our Caribou 8: extra coating over the 'black' material; aluminum edging adhered with marine caulking (6 long edges); epoxy undercoating of tub floor.

* This post was edited 04/10/06 06:08am by silversand *

jcluff

AZ/UT

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/05 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't really ask any questions regarding that. I certainly got the impression that it wasn't a big change for them. I'm sure the under structure is the same, it just has a fiberglass covering. Brian did mention something about having the molds for it, or something like that. I probably shouldn't have used the word "shell" to describe it. At casual glance, it looked almost like a one piece bottom, but it is more likely just some filon panels attached to the bottoms and sides down there.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter factory visit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.