RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Class C without dinghy?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C without dinghy?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NHclassC

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/05 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you have a lot of good info from all the previous replies. We went for one season without towing. For us it did not work well, so we have been towing our jeep with us just about everywhere for about four years now. Give it a try without first, you can always add a towing setup later.
good luck
Jim

2009 Wildcat 28RKBS
2008 Chevy 3500 Duramax/Allison

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/05 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 23 and have no need for a toad. At 29 your pushing it a little
bit as far as where you can and cannot go. IE: you better know whats up that gravel road because turning around could be a problem. And as far as parking and campsites you will be limited there as well. It's a compromise ease of driving vs size. For ease of driving obviously a class B is the best but you have no space. With the 29 what you get is the fixed bed, but harder to drive park etc. So it's up to you as to which is more important. For us we chose the smaller rig instead of the bed. And are very happy with that choice. JHMO but I think you probably could get a rig through a private party with about half the miles for the price the dealer is asking.

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/05 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It just depends on how long you intend to stay at each site. If you want to camp more than a week at a time in one place, you'll get really tired of unhooking and re-hooking your MH. And a 29-footer might not be small enough to go everywhere you want to go. On the contrary side, toadless means you can back into a campsite without unhitching the car, or if you get into a jam and need to back up, you can't do that with a toad [at least not more than a few feet]. Yes, it's feasible but I think you'll end up with a toad.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/05 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sometimes travel with a friend with a C about the same size and he does not have a toad. If I had opted for a larger cab size on my truck it wouldn't be a problem but as it is, he often rents a vehicle at his destination and believes it saves him money. I'm not that sure it does and I've seen him trying to find parking at the laundry or the grocery store on more than one occasion. Wouldn't be MY choice of how to travel.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

prchoudh

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/05 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In many respects, I do not like to dinghy tow. Mainly because when we get to a CG, we usually do not stay there and instead we wind up driving around all the time. This last trip, we did not dinghy tow and people got bored hanging around the CG.

When we leave for Vegas next week, we will rent a car there. It does not pay to bring another car.

One thing that I have done to counteract the boredom at a CG, is to buy electric scooters to use. I have also thought of buying a golf cart to put around in when we do not need to go to far. I have some seen some racks which mount to the back of the MH.

2006 Fleetwood Tioga 31M(Bilsteins,Safe-T Plus,BANKS,K&N filter,Hellwig Sway Bars,Blue Ox Aventa,US GEAR Unified Tow Brake)
2006 Chevrolet HHR
2006 PT Cruiser Turbo
1 Child & 3 dogs(2 Border Collies and 1 Cocker Spaniel)

mikebNJ

Eatontown, NJ USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/05 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our 31 ft Class C in March of this year. We have not gotten setup for towing yet. I think it depends on the type of camping you are doing. With little kids (1 and 4) the campground tends to be our destination, especially for weekends. We have probably spent about 30+ nights in the RV this year, and only rented a car one time, when we went to an event in PA that parking would have been hellacious. I can definately see us getting a toad in a few years when the kids want to do more activities that are outside of the campground.

Mike

2005 Coachmen Leprechaun 314ss

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/05 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We JUST got a toad - went 2 years without one. Our 28' MH fits practically anywhere - on our recent 5,000+ mile sightseeing trip, we only rented cars to see Sequoia/King's Canyon and Arches Nat'l Parks (this was a good move, particularly in Sequoia). The rest of the time the MH was our sole source of transport, and worked just fine. I don't recall problems parking or driving on narrower roads....

As Hitech said, when you're toadless, you just learn to run your errands efficiently, while you're still travelling; and set up in camp "minimally". We can pull into our camping space, plug in the electric and water, and we're ready to spend the night.

So why did we buy a toad?? We love to explore - and suspect we will see more out-of-the-way spots with it. On our trip, we stopped at the Bonneville Salt Flats; they actually had a lot of water on the flats, and we dared not take the MH off the paved road since that salt turns to white goo when wet. Couldn't risk getting something that big stuck. IF we had a toad - it would have been a whole different adventure...LOL!

I would say try travelling without a toad - you can always pick one up later?

Deb

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
I never know what we'll be pulling it with!

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/05 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right, there are lots of reasons *to* have a toad, but that was not the question. The question was do you *have* to have a toad. The answer is probably not, depending on how you camp. Even in our 33' long C we have never needed a toad.

* This post was edited 11/15/05 11:52am by HiTech *

Jim P

Sun City West, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/05 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to factor in the cost of the Brake system, towbar and baseplate. This cost me approx. $2000 when I towed. I had a brake system that was wired into the coach brake system though. Brake Buddy is probably less expensive? I had a Class A then and was a snowbird. Now I am permanent resident of AZ and only making occasional trips with my Class C although I am looking forward to taking an extended trip to cooler climates next summer.

Jim P

CaptRLD

Yuba City, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/05 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short and sweet! If you are happy at Campgrounds or they provide transportation or you rent a car there (and they will deliver), great. If you want to get out on your own beyond the campground without renting a car or relying on transportation get a dinghy. We tried it both ways. The third time out without a dinghy made up our mind. we now have a 2003 Corolla as a dinghy that gets from 33mpg to 38 mpg in the city and cost us, above the cost of the car, about 1.5 mpg in our rig. Go figure. We love our freedom!

[green]Capt Rich 2003 Four Winds, 31' Dutchmen, class "C," Ford V10 [email] CaptRLD@syix.com[/email] [img]http://www.syix.com/captrld/sdutchmen.jpg[/img]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C without dinghy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.