|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Winterizing in the Garage

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CoachmanRVR

Cleveland, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/05 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an insulated garage that we built for our 316KS Coachmen Santara, but it still gets below freezing on a good cold night. I am looking for suggestions to "not winterizing" the unit. I have heard that running a ceramic heater unit inside the motorhome is one way to keep things toasty. Another idea in addition to the inside heater is to put a shop light type light bulb inside the valve area of the dumping station panel.

Anyone have experience in this area?

Suggestions welcomed.

CoachmanRVR

* This post was edited 11/19/05 07:07pm by CoachmanRVR *

Ludwigsburg

Dallas, TX, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/05 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CoachmanRVR wrote:

I have an insulated garage that we built for our 316KS Coachmen Santara, but it still gets below freezing on a good cold night. I am looking for suggestions to "not winterizing" the unit. I have heard that running a ceramic heater unit inside the motorhome is one way to keep things toasty. Another idea in addition to the inside heater is to put a shop light type light bulb inside the valve area of the dumping station panel.

My step dad used the industrial looking heaters for years. I do not remember the brand name, but I they look very similar to the Dayton line. He liked them because they had thermostats and safety elements to turn the heater off should it start over heating itself, and this was before such safety features were common. His application was to actually try to keep the garage warm enough to not affect whatever car restoration he was working on. If he didn't have fresh paint, he would also use the blowers on the heaters. For humans, the blowers did not do much good because it created wind chill, but the actual temperature in the room was warmer.

If you want to get a good feel for what you are trying to warm, then you might get you one of the digital thermometers that record the highest and lowest temperatures...just don't forget to reset it each day...

The snow man

de pere, wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/05 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it doesn't get below 25 degrees for an extended period of time (like 3 or 4 days in a row) I wouldn't worry about it...an insulated garage will heat itself in the day time just from the sun shining down on the roof and most of that heat will be retained when it gets colder at night...plus you won't have a wind chill to worry about...how cold does it get down there? I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin and water that has been left in a bucket will not freeze unless it gets down to about 25 degrees for 3 or 4 days in a row and then it's just a crust of ice on the very top of the bucket, when left in my garage that isn't heated...

The beatiful MONSTER that takes my wife and I anywhere we want to go...2005 Jayco granite ridge...Overhead entertainment center, slide out, and a snowmobile trailer that pulls 2 four wheelers in the summer and 2 snowmobiles in the winter..Life is great!

Ludwigsburg

Dallas, TX, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/05 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ginvickellor wrote:

If it doesn't get below 25 degrees for an extended period of time (like 3 or 4 days in a row) I wouldn't worry about it...an insulated garage will heat itself in the day time just from the sun shining down on the roof and most of that heat will be retained when it gets colder at night...plus you won't have a wind chill to worry about...how cold does it get down there? I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin and water that has been left in a bucket will not freeze unless it gets down to about 25 degrees for 3 or 4 days in a row and then it's just a crust of ice on the very top of the bucket, when left in my garage that isn't heated...

Actually, a bucket or platic bottle of water might be a good idea to keep an eye on things. If you see it freezing up then you might have something to worry about.

minnie26a

Hartford, CT

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/05 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would winterize it if I were you, for two reasons. 1. Piece of mind. 2. Two bottle of RV antifreeze are much less costly than keeping it warm (while worrying about it).

2006 Keystone Outback 21RS
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Baurer 5.4L
Equal-i-zer hitch
Kipor KGE3000TI generator

CoachmanRVR

Cleveland, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/05 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The watch bucket might be a good idea....as far as winterizing; we want to continue to use the RV through the winter months. It just does not get too cold here. Thanks for the ideas.

CoachmanRVR

big dave

Soldotna, Alaska, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/05 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would drain it completely, leave the low point drains and all faucets open, or even blow it out with air. put a little antifreeze in the p traps. It'll be ready when you need it, and you won't have to worry about it.
With a heater or light bulb, it only takes something like kicking the cord, tripping a breaker or the bulb burning out to ruin your day.

Dave & Rose C
90 Safari Ivory 34' DP
04 Saturn VUE V6

Cabinwood

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/05 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just winterized my Minnie -- it really doesn't take long. I'll probably use it again before the winter is done, but I don't want to take any chances. I'm in North Georgia and I've already had a bowl of water on the porch freeze solid the other night...

Jeanne
Winnebago Vista

Old Retired Coastie

Washington state

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/05 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although it doesn't often get below freezing for long periods where we live, the dog's water bowl outside often freezes so I do winterize even though we have an oversized garage to stow the M/H. I drain the tanks (all 3) and the FW system, blow out the lines, add some RV AF to the drain traps and use a Black and Decker 1500 watt electric heater inside the coach. It has overtemp and tip-over safety switches (in case of an earthquake [emoticon]). It also has a freeze prevention setting and only comes on when temps are down near freezing. This set-up allow us to reactivate the M/H relatively quickly as we did last weekend for a local rally.

Dave and Jan
Zoey the mutt
2005 Born Free Built for Two
2001 VW Cabrio

If you keep doing what you did, you're going to get what you got! ">

Jim P

Sun City West, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/05 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heater takes a lot of KWH. Less expensive to use the pink stuff, blow it out with air and it will be ready to use.

Jim P

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Winterizing in the Garage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.