RV.Net Open Roads Forum: New "Therm-A-Rest" Bunk end option on the Cub...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> New "Therm-A-Rest" Bunk end option on the Cub...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
3fan

Mattoon,IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/05 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just read this on RV Business and wanted to pass it on. Very interesting...

Dutchmen Manufacturing Co. Inc.'s Aerolite Division has teamed up with top-of-the-line tent and outdoor mattress manufacturer Cascade Designs Inc., Seattle, Wash., to create a Therm-a-Rest self-erecting, all-weather tent extension. The product is available as a $1,200 option on Aerolite Cub and Kodiak hybrid trailers. The Therm-a-Rest tent extension debuted this week at the 43rd Annual National RV Trade Show at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville, Ky. Each tent extension, made from Super-Tech polyester fabric with heat-sealed seams, features a self-inflating insulated outdoor mattress with a pillow top cover. "Once you open the door, it automatically pops open and sets up by itself," said marketing manger Joe Hosinski. "It is highly weatherproof," he added. "It's a full, outdoor extreme-weather tent."

Click here to view(If you dont see below)

[image]

* This post was edited 12/16/05 05:07pm by 3fan *

3fan
2004 KZ Frontier 2505QSS
2005 Ford F150 STX

Dec24guy

Scarborough, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/05 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3fan I am trying to imagine how this works - how it attaches etc. Is there more information?

Does this take the place of the normal tenting fabric? ...go over it? Sounds interesting!

2008 Chevy Uplander
2005 Forest River Surveyor SL 190T
F&W with no kids aboard">
"Pain is inevitable, misery is optional!"
Our blog

BobbieC

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/05 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where exactly does this pop out? It is instead of the standard pull down bunk ends? How easy is it to fold up again?

Bobbie
2006 Shamrock 19 ft hybrid
towed by Bob,
our 2004 Dodge Dakota

thatguy1967

Springfield, Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/05 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a good idea to me. Would give you alot of extra bunk space (height) as well...atleast it appears too. Also seems like it would put less stress on the attachment points since it is self supporting.

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD Ext Cab, 5.3L, 3.42 axle
2006 KZ Coyote 23CMS, Equalizer Hitch/Voyager Brake Control

GoneCamping

Chesapeake, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/05 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think $1200 sounds like a very expensive piece of tent to me!! I'm sure the auto deployment is nice and all, but somehow doubt it's worth that much money. However, this will likely be the catylist for other manufacturers to come up with something similar...just wait & watch!

*Cliff*
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration!"

2000 Ford F-150
2005 Coachmen Spirit of America 300 TBS
Chesapeake, Virginia

Fish-Dad

Chesapeake, VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/05 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The auto feature would need to be proven before I would buy it. It sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. Imagine the linkages that it requires. We all know it would have to be lightweight in order to fit in with the hybrid concept. How heavy duty could that stuff be. All kinds of arms and springs. I could almost see it exploding on me.

I'm sure someone will get it all dialed in though and it will be a pretty common option in the coming years.

Crossroads Zinger 30 BH
2005 F-150 supercrew XLT 4x4 5.4L 3.73
Honda EU3000IS
Steve & Carol Burke

Bridgette (lap dog)

Bobj616

Texarkana,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/05 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with gone camp[ing. Seems like a pricey option. But the concept is great. I think I would give it a few years to let them work out the bugs. Bob

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

2015 Arctic Fox 25Y
2013 F250 6.2

gator_shawn

Canton, GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/05 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand it self-deploys. Does it self-retract as well?

Disclaimer: The vast majority of my comments contain no vitriole or spiteful attitude. Any anger, cockiness or sarcasm you read out of my messages was unintended. Please try to keep this in mind. I like all of you and would buy any of you a beer.

Zeppi-popout

LIQUID

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/05 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick, are you planning on having a display at the Cleveland RV show in Jan?

I assume there are zip down windows?

As far as the price goes, I think a normal bunkend canvass costs around $700-$1000 to replace, so the price might not be to outrageous.

How does this attach to the bunkend door?

Is Cascade Designs planning on making these to fit other HTTs? like the Zeppelin, maybe?

I find this interesting because many HTT makers haven't realized that if they left a 1/4-1/2in gap between the door and the frame they could attach the canvass permanently to the door and eliminate any chance of water infiltration during a rainy set up. Well, maybe they have realized it but they are still working out the leak issues with the door seals.

rickklug

Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/05 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All,

I work for Cascade Designs, and would be happy to answer questions regarding the design. Aerolite will have a few samples at trade shows in early 2006, but they won't be available until late Feb early March. I encourage you to see the design for yourself before judging it's durability. The weight of the platform is supported by stainless steel bars that are rated at 2000lbs. There are three additional bars that support the tent structure, and allow it to fold up without detaching. The upgrade includes two tents per trailer, and thermarest adjustable sleeping mattresses as well.

I don't see an option where I can attach a PDF, but I can send them if you are interested. I believe the true value of a forum like this is for people who have used or seen products to hear from others who are unbiased. As a Cascade employee I am biased, so I will limit my responses to answering questions, or providing clarification.

Rick Klug
Cascade Designs
Rick.klug@cascadedesigns.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> New "Therm-A-Rest" Bunk end option on the Cub...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.