|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC ing with a CB radio

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
infamousterry2

Gulfport,MS

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/05 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My best place to add an antenna for CB would be the hood of truck, does the antenna get any feed back from the front overhang of TC and will the TC interfere with the SWR of radio. I know this is a question about CB's, but need the experience of TC owners , who would know the ans........Thanks

1995 Ford 2wd PSD & 2004 Lance 915
To see some pics. Of SCTC 2nd. annual Rally CLICK HERE

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/05 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good tech help here:
Firestik
Cab Over CB Antenna

I had a lot of trouble finding a spot for my CB antenna. I may go with a magnet antenna on our new truck and put it on the cab, them move it to the front bumper with the camper in the bed.

Good Luck,

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

PatJ

WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/05 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run a 5' firestik on the fender (in crack between hood and fender) about halfway between the windshield and front of truck, and my camper is always on. My SWR are about 1.3 to 1.4. When I was installing I temporarily mounted the antenna in several places on the fender (More to front or back) with vise grip and I could have even gone a little closer to the camper before it started to effect the SWR. It is noticeably directional in town but on the highway it is fine.

Before the firestik I ran a Wilson 1000 hardmount on my spare tire mount which was off the front bumper, so basically centered at the very front of the hood. SWRs were low but for whatever reason it sucked. It had no ears either.

I considered putting an antenna on the roof of my aluminum camper either a conventional or a NGP whip but I didn't want to add much height so that kept me to a 2' or less whip. I think a 5' whip on the fender is way more powerful with way better ears than a 2' whip on the roof even if it is a little more directional. Just my opinion though I may be wrong.

Patrick

Slow Rider

Hampton Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/05 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran dual center loads on my mirrors on my big TC. I had to make up some pvc spacers to angle the antennas away from the cabover to get the swr back down. The mid-mounting point did give me good reception to both the front and rear. If it is a permanent TC installation, I'd condsider moving the antenna(s) up on the camper itself. If it is a metal shell camper, it will act as a good ground plane. Otherwise, you will need a self-loaded style antenna, bottom or center.

Don and Sharon
2006 FS260 Gearbox, 2002 Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD, 1998 Valkyrie, 2003 Vstrom, 2000 Volusia, 1996 R850R, 1994 KLR 650

Ken in NM

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/05 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used some silicon adhesive to cement a metal plate to the top of my camper, then use a magnetic antenna. The problem I ran into was hitting a branch or something and knocking it loose.

* This post was edited 12/14/05 02:45pm by Ken in NM *

Chevy DRW 4WD dual cab Duramax, 9.5 Host

infamousterry2

Gulfport,MS

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/05 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for your answer's and help, Brad those link's you gave me , helped me to make some decisions about a radio. My real concern was swr reading's and getting it set right.

infamousterry2

Gulfport,MS

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/05 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A neat looking set up Brad, are those the kind of ant. that need no adj. for swr. I am still thinking about hood mounted ant. so as to hide the wire.

infamousterry2

Gulfport,MS

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/05 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Patj
I am considering a mounted ant. in the crack on the hood just as you mentioned, 30 years ago I had cb equip. swr meter and all that stuff, now I have forgotten all about swr and all that, is 1.3 to 1.4 good, on the road is your reception better ahead of you, than behind you. Did you make a bracket for the hood or can you buy one.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/05 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

This is where our antennas ended up on our current camper. They work great, but they are a pita to hook-up each time. I forgot to unhook them last time and ripped one of the coax plugs off.

Brad

* This post was edited 08/22/06 06:09pm by BradW *

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/05 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

infamousterry2 wrote:

are those the kind of ant. that need no adj. for swr.

No, you have to adjust the tips for the lowest SRW, but it's easy.

But by having 2 antennas, I don't have a problem with not having a good ground plane, because they use each other as the ground plane. Or so the Firestik Tech Info says. With that, I have said more than I know about antenna theory. [emoticon] [emoticon]

Brad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC ing with a CB radio
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS